[Implemented] Type-enhancing items

I'm not afraid to admit that I think it takes a certain kind of personality to appreciate defensive play styles. Personally, I tend to look at the game like chess. A long game that is well played out between two smart opponents is an excellent game to me.

Our game is not unique in this way though. Look at other games. For example, American football. There are often games where neither team has a large amount of points. Those are games that rely more on the defensive strength of a team to make a win. Those kinds of games can be just as nerve racking as offensive games. One side of the stadium screams "stop them!", the other side screams " come on scoreeee!." lol. You have to look at it all as a balance.

Some people start up PokeMMO and they want to play it like street fighter or something. They want a 30 second match – the first to power up and get a sweep going wins. I know that some people are passionate about that, and I do think that is great, but... that's still only one side of the story. There's all kinds of players, and we should all respect each others styles (as lame as we may perceive them to be ;) ).

I would support any item implementation that doesn't create a one-sided meta game. I like balance. I know our game isn't perfection, but I feel like our game is decently balanced right now as a game in itself. Sometimes games are over in 1 or 2 minutes. Sometimes they take 30. There's really no prediction you can make on the length of a duel before they start, which is a good thing. If you could predict what would happen, it would be boring.

(I'm on my phone now but i just wanted to do a quick comment on this)

That is very well written blonde and I agree with most lf it but.. This suggestion is more like to make the type enhancing items usable to give more variety. It sounds like you prefer defensive teams and I have nothing against that in special but how often do you encounter teams full with lum berries and 50% boosting to attack berries? I would suppose that lum berry can "sweep" you by you needing to double poison every opponent or something like that. Now I dont want a smogon like meta but I'm just saying that since we dont have the bands yet(which would make a huge difference) and its really boring using the same items everywhere this could give some variety and help some things being able to make the 3hko to a 2hko. I'm in a bus right now irrc.... But I will add more to this later ;)

But I think this would give values to the items again, give variety and help certain pokemon but ofc it would leave them vulnerable to status or bby not getting the leftovers
  • 2 weeks later...

+1 blonde for defending stall

Haters: yes it can suck to play against if you're not prepared, but if you're planning a team you've got to know its weaknesses.. If fighting 4-5 walls is going to wreck you, you've got to have some defense against it. For instance, many teams (stall or not) rely on spikes to rack up residual damage- thus a rapid spinner is a good idea. If you have trouble with Skarmory, find something that can reliably switch in on it and scare it out. Better yet, find something that can come in on Skarmory and hit Blissey hard on the switch! Usually I think that people who complain about stall just suck at teambuilding, or that stall players are just wiser because they use team synergy over individual poke strength- something people often overestimate. Mixed attackers can be a stall team's worst nightmare, and there are an abundance of pokes that can learn 2 special attacks and focus punch, making most walls sitting ducks... A small change in the pct of damage done by a move type won't let your Jolteon take on a Blissey. Skarmory will still wall silk scarf Snorlax. I don't really see how this change would stop the "wallish" nature of the metagame, but I don't object to it because it could make for some interesting strategies.

+1 blonde for defending stall

Haters: yes it can suck to play against if you're not prepared, but if you're planning a team you've got to know its weaknesses.. If fighting 4-5 walls is going to wreck you, you've got to have some defense against it. For instance, many teams (stall or not) rely on spikes to rack up residual damage- thus a rapid spinner is a good idea. If you have trouble with Skarmory, find something that can reliably switch in on it and scare it out. Better yet, find something that can come in on Skarmory and hit Blissey hard on the switch! Usually I think that people who complain about stall just suck at teambuilding, or that stall players are just wiser because they use team synergy over individual poke strength- something people often overestimate. Mixed attackers can be a stall team's worst nightmare, and there are an abundance of pokes that can learn 2 special attacks and focus punch, making most walls sitting ducks... A small change in the pct of damage done by a move type won't let your Jolteon take on a Blissey. Skarmory will still wall silk scarf Snorlax. I don't really see how this change would stop the "wallish" nature of the metagame, but I don't object to it because it could make for some interesting strategies.

Noted, bringing a spinner/arcanine to any of our future duels :P

+1, not just because WishBliss+Skarm ruins my day. Due to the item clause, I usually end up sticking at least one type item in my team anyway, the difference being right now I hate doing that, because it feels almost useless. I should want to use a magnet because it's good, not be forced to use a magnet because all the good items are in use on that team.

[spoiler] That being said, I'd much rather see the choice band get added, this would be cool but that would be cooler, just sayin'. [/spoiler]

+1, not just because WishBliss+Skarm ruins my day. Due to the item clause, I usually end up sticking at least one type item in my team anyway, the difference being right now I hate doing that, because it feels almost useless. I should want to use a magnet because it's good, not be forced to use a magnet because all the good items are in use on that team.

Don't even remember last time item clause was used, probably in the some 4vs4 monotype or like that, with 6vs6 that clause was dropped

I'm writing this suggestion as the incoming of a friends suggestion, but I really agree with this. 

As it is now we don't have choice band/scarf/specs which often leads to the fact that more defensive teams can be very hard to break, especially some of the strong walls. I think by making the type-enhancing items(Mystic Water, Charcoal, etc.) work by generation 4 and onwards mechanism, which means the type-enhacing items boosts 20%, instead of generation 3 mechanisms, which means the type-enhancing items boosts 10%, could help nurf some of the walls a little. Sometimes having that extra 20% damage can make the difference between a 2hko and a ohko, or a 3hko and 2hko, while the extra 10% just isn't worth using as an item(in most cases) I think by making it 20% would be able to make a great difference.

So basically change type-enhancing items from 10% to 20%. 

I found out this was suggested back in 2012 but things have changed now and I was wondering what peoples opinions on this is now? Discuss.

A raindance kingdra with raindance and a mystical water that adds that extra 10 percent would be hella scary with surf....

ITT: People defending stall gen3 for some reason

This is a competitive game. You use what you think will win you most games. If people cry about your playstyle you just ignore them. You don't have to write 5 page essays on the forums 'justifying' why you use a certain strategy. Although there are certain cheap ways to try and win (I'm looking at you Dark Void Smeargle) that doesn't mean you shouldn't use them. This is a competition, you use what you think will make you win. In gen3 SkarmBliss is regarded cheap but that doesn't mean a competitor shouldn't be able to deal with it.

Honestly, if you are a player who likes offensive playstyles you are playing the wrong game (or better said the wrong gen). In gen3 stall is just extremely strong and the most commonly seen strat. Even with Choice Band stall has the edge in gen3 because it is an extremely slow meta with no acces to stuff like U-Turn or Stealth Rocks and essential offensive items like Life Orb.

As for the suggestion I don't see how it would harm the meta or have any major impact. Maybe Starmie will use Mystic Water again with this, anyway more options won't hurt this game.

ITT: People defending stall gen3 for some reason

This is a competitive game. You use what you think will win you most games. If people cry about your playstyle you just ignore them. You don't have to write 5 page essays on the forums 'justifying' why you use a certain strategy. Although there are certain cheap ways to try and win (I'm looking at you Dark Void Smeargle) that doesn't mean you shouldn't use them. This is a competition, you use what you think will make you win. In gen3 SkarmBliss is regarded cheap but that doesn't mean a competitor shouldn't be able to deal with it.

Honestly, if you are a player who likes offensive playstyles you are playing the wrong game (or better said the wrong gen). In gen3 stall is just extremely strong and the most commonly seen strat. Even with Choice Band stall has the edge in gen3 because it is an extremely slow meta with no acces to stuff like U-Turn or Stealth Rocks and essential offensive items like Life Orb.

As for the suggestion I don't see how it would harm the meta or have any major impact. Maybe Starmie will use Mystic Water again with this, anyway more options won't hurt this game.

ThinkNice strikes again with some excellent points on which I really have to agree with lel :P

Wow were you able wash out the smell from ur nose after you were done with all of that ass kissing haha :P

That was uncalled for and very immature. There's a difference between agreeing with someone when they comment on your own thread and kissing their ass. Quite a big one in fact.

Wow were you able wash out the smell from ur nose after you were done with all of that ass kissing haha :P

Sounds a little disgusting haha, even tho he says he is perfuming it lel. He just got some strong points as usual and I do support some of them, including this one. ;)

Sounds a little disgusting haha, even tho he says he is perfuming it lel. He just got some strong points as usual and I do support some of them, including this one. ;)

Haha im glad you saw it for what it was... a joke. I too agreed with what he had to say in this particular thread. But some ppl cant decipher a joke a serious insult :/