[Implemented] Type-enhancing items

I'm writing this suggestion as the incoming of a friends suggestion, but I really agree with this. 

As it is now we don't have choice band/scarf/specs which often leads to the fact that more defensive teams can be very hard to break, especially some of the strong walls. I think by making the type-enhancing items(Mystic Water, Charcoal, etc.) work by generation 4 and onwards mechanism, which means the type-enhacing items boosts 20%, instead of generation 3 mechanisms, which means the type-enhancing items boosts 10%, could help nurf some of the walls a little. Sometimes having that extra 20% damage can make the difference between a 2hko and a ohko, or a 3hko and 2hko, while the extra 10% just isn't worth using as an item(in most cases) I think by making it 20% would be able to make a great difference.

So basically change type-enhancing items from 10% to 20%. 

I found out this was suggested back in 2012 but things have changed now and I was wondering what peoples opinions on this is now? Discuss.

too much complaining about walls all the time. we just got the dragonite that can play on teams now. that's +1 for offense. Look at that monster, it even learns superpower. my goodness.

superpower

tbolt

surf/anything/icebeam/rockslide/anything

flame/something/something

as a defensive player, that thing will give me nightmares trying to stop it. i'll most likely lose a poke and have to try to revenge kill it. very op.

Also the Salamence - again another OP offensive poke. Nidoking - very strong. There are tons of wall breakers: Gengar, Golduck, Electrabuzz, Magmar, Charizard, etc etc.

Come on, it is really not that hard to break a wall. sometimes I watch duels while eating before work and some people still get wall'd and totally stalled out by skarm and bliss only. there's only so much you can do. at some point people have to use their brains. Maybe a strong defensive line up represents a smart player who has done a lot of hard work breeding and thinking about synergy.... it doesnt always mean walls are OP.

Now to be clear, I'm not supporting a stall vs stall meta at all. That is boring and too lengthy (I know). but as a defensive player, I try to sit down and think about how to defend against these mixed attacker threats and I know how breakable defensive teams can be. It's really hard to defend against everything out there. Actually, it's impossible. I'm not talking to anyone specifically, just putting my point of view out there.

too much complaining about walls all the time. we just got the dragonite that can play on teams now. that's +1 for offense. Look at that monster, it even learns superpower. my goodness.
superpower
tbolt

as a defensive player, that thing will give me nightmares trying to stop it. i'll most likely lose a poke and have to try to revenge kill it. very op.

Also the Salamence - again another OP offensive poke. Nidoking - very strong. There are tons of wall breakers: Gengar, Golduck, Electrabuzz, Magmar, Charizard, etc etc.
Come on, it is really not that hard to break a wall. sometimes I watch duelist while eating before work and some people still get wall'd and totally stalled out by a skarm bliss. there's only so much you can do. at some point people have to use their brains. I'm not supporting a stall vs stall meta, but as a defensive player I try to sit down and think about how to defend against these mixed attacker threats and I know how breakable defensive teams can be. It's really hard to defend against everything out there. Actually, it's impossible. not talking to anyone specifically, just putting my point of view out there.

All I hear is that you dont want stronger wallbreakers because your wallteam wont be good enough anymore...
As soon as you stop using 5 walls you will be taken more seriously

superpower

tbolt

Dratini can't get Superpower so Dnite can only get it through tutor (or maybe event move).

Actually I took time to try to make my post consider both defensive and offensive players. I prefer a balanced game, and I tried to be fair in my writings. I specifically wrote out that a stall meta is boring, and it is true that I feel that way. I didn't just say that. I'm not totally against additional items out there for offensive teams either.

However, I did point out that there are plenty of Pokemon out there that are capable of breaking walls. For example, A bellyzard. Say you are running a wall team. If you predict wrong just one or two turns and the zard is there, he's going to put holes in your team. From there, your defense is probably broken and has holes in it opening you up for sweeps.

All the zard needs is a couple turns to really dent your team. Now to contrast look at a wall. A wall requires that you consistently absorb damage. It requires a lot of turns of prediction and walls usually don't hit back as hard. They just slowly wear you down. If you are losing with an offensive team against "walls", your team is probably mostly consisting of predictable "glass cannons". My suggestion would be to use a more durable sweeper or something atypical as a wallbreaker. A couple of examples of a durable wallbreakers:

Ursaring: Snore, Rest, Aerial Ace/RockSlide, Bulk Up

Kingdra: Dragon Dance, Return, Surf, Rest.

To be honest, the reason my defensive team is even decent is because people are so predictable. Even the totally OP Salamence has become predictable. 75% of them are dragon dancers. There's not a lot of variation among the players. People tend to use what they have seen, something they feel like is proven and will work. They don't branch out. That predictability leads to their teams being wall'd. I mean, what do you expect, let the other player just give you free punches for your typical design pokemon?

I ran my ursaring last week  and I was able to sweep a couple teams with it by itself every round I used it. The players seemed like decent players. I wasn't able to do that very often when ursaring was more popular. People aren't as used to seeing it now. They weren't prepared for it. That's why it worked. There's so many different pokemon out there: over 200 now in our game? You take something different or load up a weird build and "walls" will start falling. Walls are prepared for common and predictable scenarios. With so many combinations of attacks and so many pokemon out there, you can only defend against a limited number of combinations. Walls are breakable, but not through predictable and prepared for designs.

Look at it fairly, and a defensive player should have just as much respect as an offensive player. Defense, offense, baton passing, rain dancing, sunbeaming, they are all just strategies in a game. All is fair. Also, people usually blab out wall anytime they can't significantly hurt something with a predictable pokemon. It's really just a whine about half the time when someone is losing. It shouldn't always be taken seriously as a sign of an imbalanced meta.

Well, no one has tried to make a legit reply to my posts so far. All I get is, "we don't you seriously" and "you can't contain yourself". That just doesn't say anything really guys. Anyway, I guess we're all just sharing opinions though so it doesn't matter a lot. We're all simply different players. We like and are annoyed by different things. I'll leave guys to your thread now since my posts aren't really revolving around a "type-enhancing" item.

okay, im sorry but for the lols

Everyone has a right to voice their opinion, just as you do Emlee. These threads are not supposed to be persuasive essays with everyone supporting one side. These are group discussions where anyone can post how they feel. So, no, I don't really see a reason why any person in the forums should be asked to contain themselves unless they are off topic/being rude/breaking rules. As a previous moderator, you should only be supportive of this statement. Besides that, my posts "promote diversity".

One thing I think that is worth noting here is that I'm not arguing against any of you or anything you say really if you think about it. I wrote out that I would not be against this item being implemented (top of post#13) if it would better balance the meta. The only thing I have brought to the table is that my opinion is that there are currently "strong wallbreakers" out there just as there are "strong walls" (from Gary post 1). I think it's very possible to break walls. That's it. That's all I have said in a nutshell. Gary, I support your idea if it will better balance the meta.

okay, im sorry but for the lols

Everyone has a right to voice their opinion, just as you do Emlee. These threads are not supposed to be persuasive essays with everyone supporting one side. These are group discussions where anyone can post how they feel. So, no, I don't really see a reason why any person in the forums should be asked to contain themselves unless they are off topic/being rude/breaking rules. As a previous moderator, you should only be supportive of this statement. Besides that, my posts "promote diversity".

I am sorry but I am unsure as to why you're addressing me. I have not suggested you're not allowed to voice your opinion. Me being a previous moderator or not has absolutely nothing to do with my post. 

Anywho. 

Neutral for me,

Most Physical/Mixed will still run Lum cause the Burn can destroy them.

Bulky ones that run Rest will have Chesto or Leftovers ( Sleep Talk/Snore one )

( Could go on listing others cases, but it's pointless, i know everyone knows better than me what items pokes will have )

Only pokes that i see making decent use of some of them are Special Sweepers like Alakazam ( Lum will still be a pretty decent option to prevent eventual Para/Sleep ) or some good Hidden Power ones ( especially Special ones here too ) that don't have access to Boosting Moves like HP Grass Magmar ( only pokemon that i personally run with that kind of item )

In my case, even with the +20%, i'll still spam Lums/Chesto on everything

P.S Don't think it'll change the Meta and reduce the usage/effectiveness of Walls and Lums 

I ran my ursaring last week  and I was able to sweep a couple teams with it by itself every round I used it. The players seemed like decent players. I wasn't able to do that very often when ursaring was more popular. People aren't as used to seeing it now. They weren't prepared for it. That's why it worked. There's so many different pokemon out there: over 200 now in our game? You take something different or load up a weird build and "walls" will start falling. Walls are prepared for common and predictable scenarios. With so many combinations of attacks and so many pokemon out there, you can only defend against a limited number of combinations. Walls are breakable, but not through predictable and prepared for designs.

shhh bl0nde dont tell em how i use my ursaring :c

All joking aside i think i know why my team dont hit as hard as i would like now didnt consider them held items...anyways if it can let me hit a bit harder go for it as for wall teams go only blissey gives me a problem. 

but considering how some mechanics are gen VI and gen V i dont see why this shouldnt be implemented.

I would support this. I would love to have black belt fighting types enter the meta. Maybe ppl will stop bitching about snorelax so much. 

As for what blonde was saying, i agree with her. People shit on defensive playing too much. To me running a physical, special, and mixed wall just seems like common sense, while also running a physical, special, and special sweepers at the same time. I use to do that but dont anymore bc ppl were being babies about it. Of course there are other play styles such as gettin a boosting pokemon in and boost to sweep (which seems like the most common play style). Honestly the lack of variety in the meta doesnt come from ppl using too many walls, but from ppl using the same tactics over and over again. As blond was saying. Of course take any statement i make about the current meta with a grain of salt. I dont play comp that often anymore bc after quitting for a while my team became outdated with the introduction of substitute and ttar. RIP rain kingdra :(

I'm not afraid to admit that I think it takes a certain kind of personality to appreciate defensive play styles. Personally, I tend to look at the game like chess. A long game that is well played out between two smart opponents is an excellent game to me.

Our game is not unique in this way though. Look at other games. For example, American football. There are often games where neither team has a large amount of points. Those are games that rely more on the defensive strength of a team to make a win. Those kinds of games can be just as nerve racking as offensive games. One side of the stadium screams "stop them!", the other side screams " come on scoreeee!." lol. You have to look at it all as a balance.

Some people start up PokeMMO and they want to play it like street fighter or something. They want a 30 second match – the first to power up and get a sweep going wins. I know that some people are passionate about that, and I do think that is great, but... that's still only one side of the story. There's all kinds of players, and we should all respect each others styles (as lame as we may perceive them to be ;) ).

I would support any item implementation that doesn't create a one-sided meta game. I like balance. I know our game isn't perfection, but I feel like our game is decently balanced right now as a game in itself.  Sometimes games are over in 1 or 2 minutes. Sometimes they take 30. There's really no prediction you can make on the length of a duel before they start, which is a good thing. If you could predict what would happen, it would be boring.