Zombie Thread

Dannnno

Just don't put your anchor down. Problem solved. If people aren't good at life at sea that sucks but it's probably better than life with zombies on land.

Also storms probably suck but I think it's better than the alternative. Conversely you could use your boat to locate an uninhabited island to avoid storms.

If we were to think realistically, humans will be your enemies just as much as zombies. Perhaps even more dangerous. You think you came up with a cool and unique plan? Chances are, quite a lot of people thought the same thing. It's best to always assume the worst case scenario and make your plan based on that.

Just don't put your anchor down.

Have fun being subject to the currents.

If people aren't good at life at sea that sucks but it's probably better than life with zombies on land.

Depending on the area, you would probably have a better chance on land. If you don't know what to do at sea, you will die of thirst, food, or poisoning. People who are unprepared for life outside of their comfort zone tend to do very poorly.

Also storms probably suck but I think it's better than the alternative.

Except you might not know when a storm is coming. Just knowing about dark clouds are stormy clouds might not help.

Conversely you could use your boat to locate an uninhabited island to avoid storms.

That's nice. How are people going to navigate in the open expanse of the ocean? If you say by the stars, good idea, but how many people know how to do that? If you want to find an island next to the coastline, how many do you think either already live there or are thinking of going there?

There's this rock. In the middle of the desert. In Australia. It's called Uluru. It's about 3.33km2. It looks like this.
[spoiler]
uluru.jpg
[/spoiler]

Seems like a nice place for a fortress.

How are you going to find the materials/money to build a fortress there?

How are you going to find the materials/money to build a fortress there?

Money/materials is a non issue when the majority of the world's population is zombified

The problem is transporting the materials to the rock, and then bringing them up top. Honestly though I don't think zombies would get up there too well, so fortifications wouldn't be as important as just basic structures for living and storage

Money/materials is a non issue when the majority of the world's population is zombified

Money only matters if you're thinking of building the fortress before the storm. Materials are still needed anyway. Materials are always needed, unless you would like to bask in the Australian Sun. I'm sure anyone would enjoy that.

The problem is transporting the materials to the rock, and then bringing them up top. Honestly though I don't think zombies would get up there too well, so fortifications wouldn't be as important as just basic structures for living and storage

It really depends on the zombies. What if the zombies can make human ladders, what then? Some fortifications would be necessary, preferably palisades sticking out horizontally over the cliff edge. Plus, tools needed to cut into rock for proper foundation. That's just for the palisade though. No idea what would be necessary to create shelter and how to hunt for wild game.

Money only matters if you're thinking of building the fortress before the storm. Materials are still needed anyway. Materials are always needed, unless you would like to bask in the Australian Sun. I'm sure anyone would enjoy that.
It really depends on the zombies. What if the zombies can make human ladders, what then? Some fortifications would be necessary, preferably palisades sticking out horizontally over the cliff edge. Plus, tools needed to cut into rock for proper foundation. That's just for the palisade though. No idea what would be necessary to create shelter and how to hunt for wild game.

I mean materials would be a non issue since the world is full of zombies, materials would be around for the taking.  So yes they would be necessary, however obtaining them would be trivial (besides evading the zombies while doing so, but thats a given for a zombie apocalypse setting).

And the type of zombie does drastically affect the survival plans. Fast or smart zombies = ggnore. Otherwise it's unlikely they would be able to do that.  It would take a ridiculously large swarm of zombies to crate a human pile up to that point, and considering this is Australia we're talking about I doubt there would even be that many.

Fortifications would mostly be necessary to repel human invaders.  Tools to cut into the rock would be fairly simple, sandstone isn't that hard of a rock.  To create a shelter would be fairly simple as well, provided you're able to actually get the materials up there.  Alternately you could make a much more fragile shelter that could easily be brought up there (like tents. tents are good).  Hunting would be tricky, and fishing wouldn't be possible because its in the middle of Australia.

Obviously the location has flaws, primarily in the resources department, but for pure defensibility it is way up there as natural formations go.

I mean materials would be a non issue since the world is full of zombies, materials would be around for the taking.  So yes they would be necessary, however obtaining them would be trivial (besides evading the zombies while doing so, but thats a given for a zombie apocalypse setting).

Well, of course I agree with you there. The most simple way of transport of materials to the rock's surface is by use of a pulley system. That would of course require someone to climb it in the first place to install something on top.

And the type of zombie does drastically affect the survival plans. Fast or smart zombies = ggnore. Otherwise it's unlikely they would be able to do that.  It would take a ridiculously large swarm of zombies to crate a human pile up to that point, and considering this is Australia we're talking about I doubt there would even be that many.

If the zombies are as smart as humans or have the potential to be as smart as humans, even if they're slow, we're all fucked. I think intellect matters more than their speed, however being slow would make things easier. I'm sure stupid zombies would climb on top of each other to get at their prey. If they're pushing against a wall, they now have leverage. Although you are right, it would require a large swarm of them to do that. The heat could help them decompose quickly. I'm not sure on that though.

Fortifications would mostly be necessary to repel human invaders.  Tools to cut into the rock would be fairly simple, sandstone isn't that hard of a rock.  To create a shelter would be fairly simple as well, provided you're able to actually get the materials up there.  Alternately you could make a much more fragile shelter that could easily be brought up there (like tents. tents are good).  Hunting would be tricky, and fishing wouldn't be possible because its in the middle of Australia.

That would be all well and good, but people having knowledge of how to do certain things would be necessary. You can't just give a person some tools and expect them to do a good job when they've never had any experience with rock cutting for example.

Obviously the location has flaws, primarily in the resources department, but for pure defensibility it is way up there as natural formations go.

It's a good idea, but a person would need the skills and abilities to apply the idea and to make it function for a sustained period. My point in all of this is that not just anyone can survive even if they have good ideas and lots of survivors are going to die simply because they lack what's required to survive. People who are already survivalists will have a better chance than the people with a pampered lifestyle.

That would be all well and good, but people having knowledge of how to do certain things would be necessary. You can't just give a person some tools and expect them to do a good job when they've never had any experience with rock cutting for example.

It's a good idea, but a person would need the skills and abilities to apply the idea and to make it function for a sustained period. My point in all of this is that not just anyone can survive even if they have good ideas and lots of survivors are going to die simply because they lack what's required to survive. People who are already survivalists will have a better chance than the people with a pampered lifestyle.

Well yeah. But even people who are unskilled can learn basic skills, even if only via trial and error.  

I do agree though that after the initial zombie outbreak, and the majority of the world's population has been zombified, the major problem isn't with avoiding the zombies or killing the zombies. If you've survived this long then you obviously are either lucky or have figured out how to do those things.  The major problem is your ability to adapt to the new post-apocalyptic world and your ability to learn from your mistakes and develop new survival skills.

Well yeah. But even people who are unskilled can learn basic skills, even if only via trial and error.

Some things cannot be learned via trial and error by yourself. If you don't have enough food, your energy will deplete and you will eventually die. There is no reset button. Also, water is more important than food. Ayers rock is in the middle of a hot savannah. After getting established maybe things can get better, but then it comes down to what's been said previously. The problem of mass transportation in the beginning.

Obviously, a group of people would be needed to survive. Then with a group, comes the need for psychology and therapy. Can't leave anyone by themselves, can't leave them without work, etc. The human mind is a very fickle thing. People will find a reason to complain about something. There is the added task of keeping people calm, relaxed, motivated, etc.

Before I forget, I'm pretty sure there's a town nearby the rock along with whatever natives might be there. If the people of that town are all still alive, there might be trouble. If not, then that just makes things easier for supplying food and perhaps later for breaking down houses and cars for spare metal/other materials.

I do agree though that after the initial zombie outbreak, and the majority of the world's population has been zombified, the major problem isn't with avoiding the zombies or killing the zombies. If you've survived this long then you obviously are either lucky or have figured out how to do those things.  The major problem is your ability to adapt to the new post-apocalyptic world and your ability to learn from your mistakes and develop new survival skills.

That's essentially it. Can't add any more to that.

Some things cannot be learned via trial and error by yourself. If you don't have enough food, your energy will deplete and you will eventually die. There is no reset button. Also, water is more important than food. Ayers rock is in the middle of a hot savannah. After getting established maybe things can get better, but then it comes down to what's been said previously. The problem of mass transportation in the beginning.

Obviously, a group of people would be needed to survive. Then with a group, comes the need for psychology and therapy. Can't leave with anyone by themselves, can't leave them without work, etc. The human mind is a very fickle thing. People will find a reason to complain about something. There is the added task of keeping people calm, relaxed, motivated, etc.

Before I forget, I'm pretty sure there's a town nearby the rock along with whatever natives might be there. If the people of that town are all still alive, there might be trouble. If not, then that just makes things easier for supplying food and perhaps later for breaking down houses and cars for spare metal/other materials.

That's essentially it. Can't add any more to that.

well yeah, you basically summed it up. the vast majority of people would become zombies/be devoured.  Then of the say 5% of people who survive the initial mass outbreak, probably 50% or more would die in the next year (either to zombies or starvation/illness/infighting/dehydration/etc).  If we look at death tolls post initial outbreak I think more people would die from non zombie causes.

This is part of why I think the zombie apocalypse (or apocalyptic events in general) are so fascinating - the zombie aspect is cool, but the psychology of the survivors and their attempt to learn how to survive in the new world is even more so.

well yeah, you basically summed it up. the vast majority of people would become zombies/be devoured.  Then of the say 5% of people who survive the initial mass outbreak, probably 50% or more would die in the next year (either to zombies or starvation/illness/infighting/dehydration/etc).  If we look at death tolls post initial outbreak I think more people would die from non zombie causes.

This is part of why I think the zombie apocalypse (or apocalyptic events in general) are so fascinating - the zombie aspect is cool, but the psychology of the survivors and their attempt to learn how to survive in the new world is even more so.

For some reason, I'm glad we had this conversation.

Oh yes, and there's the added bonus of survivors completely destroying ecosystems. Wonderful, isn't it?

For some reason, I'm glad we had this conversation.

Oh yes, and there's the added bonus of survivors completely destroying ecosystems. Wonderful, isn't it?

as it turns out there is something else present in this supposed world that happens to destroy ecosystems too

[spoiler]zombies.jpg[/spoiler]

And although the humans could potentially destroy the ecosystem, I think that their impact on the environment (both due to the greater number of zombies, and the fact that so few humans would remain) would be largely negligible.  After all most environmental impact comes from overhunting (zombies), mining (lol how would they mine), pollution (with what fossil fuels?), etc.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.