[Denied]Encountering Shinys: Less Luck based and More Effort Based

Oh, another problem i could see with this suggestion;

Fish botters everywhere

Any game mechanic related to encounter Pokemon can be botted so this is true, I do hope that botters won't be reason enough to not do it though. Good point though. 

i support this but i dont think this will happen due to the mmo agenda. the whole make shinys rarer thing because this is a mmo thought process. however i have 1500+ hours on all my accounts and 0 ot shinys on pokemmo which makes me sad and if i could go shiny hunting and not spend 3.7 days straight to encounter then number of pokes i need to then i would.

[spoiler]do the math assuming 6 encounters per minute and not stopping once[/spoiler]

i support this but i dont think this will happen due to the mmo agenda. the whole make shinys rarer thing because this is a mmo thought process. however i have 1500+ hours on all my accounts and 0 ot shinys on pokemmo which makes me sad and if i could go shiny hunting and not spend 3.7 days straight to encounter then number of pokes i need to then i would.

[spoiler]do the math assuming 6 encounters per minute and not stopping once[/spoiler]

It's not necessarily going to make them "less rare" it just means there could be less random people finding random shinys and more people finding them by making an effort. Everything can be adjusted to a degree to keep the market stable, I am sure.

That is the intention of it at least. Good thing to bring up though :)

This sounds interesting and I'm all for it. Anything that relies on effort rather than luck is a good thing in my opinion. I'd suggest having the increased shiny rates reset after finding one too though. The Pokeradar is a canon example of effort > luck, so perhaps it could be incorporated somehow too (but nerfed a lot).

no. lets keep it the way Nintendo intended 

If you can explain why Nintendo's intention for a console game works best for an MMO as opposed to the suggestion I have described then I will take you seriously. Just "for the sake of the console game" doesn't fly with me, but I'd love to hear your explanation. 

[spoiler]If it's just because you want to get cheaper shinys from new players/inexperienced players then you can say that and be honest about it, that can be a legitimate opinion. [/spoiler]

Not sure if I missed it, but do you suggest to adjust the 1/8192 (lol) to make it 'less luck based' for the new players?

I mean, will the base rate be lowered or will stay the same 1/8192 and then increase as you go full grind mode?

It would make sense to lower the base rate, but would also mean that if you want a shiny you will a ) be extremely lucky or b ) spend a ton of time grinding.

And if its the option b ) perhaps not every player will have the free time to do so, as you state:

• The increased chance should reset after your character logs out or you disconnect [Sux to disconnect and madness everytime tho.]

So, if the base rate is lowered as it should be to keep shinies 'rare', it will give and advantage to those players who can spend hours and hours in game (continue time) over those who log in 30 min, go off, come back and so on.

In the other hand, if the base rate stays the same, and increases as you grind, shinies will lose rarity (implying stil rare).

Imho, the current system is fair because every player has the same chance to encounter a shiny, no matter if just started or has spent many hours in game, however it would be nice to reward the players who grind more, but im afraid that will be in detriment to the shiny pokemon's value (that Im not all vs it tbh, but you know the staff idea of "omg rare, no way").

tl;dr The base rate should be lowered if the rate increases grinding, but that will give advantage to infinite free time players, and if its not lowered shinies will be less rare.

edit: fu b) emoticon

Edited by axx

This is a great idea, I don't think that it ruins the value at all. I think that it will help balance the market and bring prices back to normal. People will always be willing to pay for things they want, but having a legit chance of getting a shiny they want if they work hard enough is something that you'd think would go hand and hand with the MMO concept. There will be plenty of shiny traders flaming in this (ie Uair), but it makes perfect sense.

Not sure if I missed it, but do you suggest to adjust the 1/8192 (lol) to make it 'less luck based' for the new players?

I mean, will the base rate be lowered or will stay the same 1/8192 and then increase as you go full grind mode?

It would make sense to lower the base rate, but would also mean that if you want a shiny you will a ) be extremely lucky or b ) spend a ton of time grinding.

And if its the option b ) perhaps not every player will have the free time to do so, as you state:

• The increased chance should reset after your character logs out or you disconnect [Sux to disconnect and madness everytime tho.]

So, if the base rate is lowered as it should be to keep shinies 'rare', it will give and advantage to those players who can spend hours and hours in game (continue time) over those who log in 30 min, go off, come back and so on.

In the other hand, if the base rate stays the same, and increases as you grind, shinies will lose rarity (implying stil rare).

Imho, the current system is fair because every player has the same chance to encounter a shiny, no matter if just started or has spent many hours in game, however it would be nice to reward the players who grind more, but im afraid that will be in detriment to the shiny pokemon's value (that Im not all vs it tbh, but you know the staff idea of "omg rare, no way").

tl;dr The base rate should be lowered if the rate increases grinding, but that will give advantage to infinite free time players, and if its not lowered shinies will be less rare.

edit: fu B) emoticon

I think she meant that the base rate stays the same, but when u spend more time in one area (active without logouts), the rate/chance will increase.

I will also state that the base shiny encounter rate could be adjusted in order to suite this suggestion according to the devs/upper staff. 

•  

edit: fu B) emoticon

I know it's not a short amount of text but I did state the base rate can be adjusted.

Everyone should keep in mind that rares would be kept rare because the entire thing is species specific. So for example, if I am hunting in the area with skarmory (2.5% encounter rate) and fearow (~13.5 percent) then I will be theoretically encountering Fearow more often (we can assume 5/200 encounters are skarm and 25/200 encounters are fearow) so it's 5 times are likely to meet a fearow. So the rate for fearow will go up 5x more. So this adjustment will still continue to keep rares, rare. (Yes I do understand some "rares" are simply in locations that are not frequently hunted and this could encourage people to hunt there but I would like to believe that if someone is legitimately shiny hunting/there is no other benefit to being there (except paydaying of course) then it's fine for those people to be rewarded. Keep in mind that people can essentially up their chances currently by being in these locations for a long period of time but their shiny chance is all the same, so they could obtain a rare (if it's a low percentage) more easily with this current shiny mechanics.)

So the values should not go down, if anything the initial sell rate for a shiny would go up because shinys are more likely to appear for experienced players who are out hunting, EV training, etc, whereas newer players are more likely to be traveling from town to town attempting to complete the storyline (this isn't to say they have zero chance of encountering one, but it is less likely).

Also just a reminder that this increase in the shiny encounter rate will be capped, so it is not as if someone could go out to hunt in an area and be guaranteed a shiny if they stay on for a long period of time. 

As far as people logging out often and such it's more or less something that encourages multi tasking. If you're already spending a couple hours in one spot EV training then you're benefitting and increasing your shiny chance as a secondary task.

There is a ton of room for number manipulation so theoretically they could keep the current level of shiny encounters the exact same, but the people finding these shinys would include a bigger group of people who actively hunt (and possibly hatch if that could be worked out). 

Keep in mind this is not a "get any shiny you want at anytime" suggestion, it's an adjustment to the mechanics for finding shinys that in theory could be done in a way to make it easier, keep it the same or make it more difficult if they so choose to implement it that way.