Purchasable Safari Balls or Pokeball Swapping [Preventing a Future Problem]

Rache

Question

This suggestion is created with the assumption that eventually Pokemon will be shown emerging from Pokeballs instead of simply appearing.

42Mp238.png

If this happens in a future update, it will come with a side effect of easy prediction. If a Pokemon that can be caught in the Safari Zone emerges from a Safari Ball, it is a sure sign that the Pokemon was caught in the wild and therefore does not have any egg moves, thus making it easier to predict. This will be a big problem if it is allowed to happen.

There are two easy solutions to this.

Allow Safari Balls to be purchased from the Safari Zone or Fuschia City Pokemart.

Safari Balls have the same catch rate as great balls, so adding them to the game as purchasable items for equal or greater price (because keeping leftover balls after a Safari visit would make them too cheap. $500 for 30 great balls is just silly) would not be game breaking and would allow a player breeding the Pokemon to select that Pokeball for their eggs to cover the fact that their baby Safari Pokemon has egg moves to try to trick their opponent, as well as making Pokemon already caught in Safari Balls not able to be automatically assumed to have none. All war is deception after all.

Allow Pokemon to be moved to different Pokeballs.

If a Pokemon emerges from a Safari Ball, it can still be assumed to have been caught wild. However, if that Pokemon could have its Pokeball swapped, it wouldn't be obvious anymore - the player could cover up that fact by putting it in a different Pokeball, either by NPC or by themselves. The old ball would break, stopping this from being abusable (using higher quality balls then getting them back in exchange for cheaper ones). This would also give already-bred Pokemon an opportunity to be moved to a Safari Ball to add to the facade of being caught wild. This would also be nice for other players if they happen to prefer or dislike certain Pokeballs.

To do either or both of these things would add another layer of prediction as well as preventing Pokemon from being easily predicted because the opponent knows for sure that the Pokemon has no egg moves due to something completely out of the player's control. With Safari Balls being exclusive to Pokemon caught in the wild, some of those Pokemon will be very disadvantaged because the opponent can easily guess their set or know not to fear a certain egg move before that Pokemon has even done anything.

Discuss.

10 answers to this question

I think the idea is pretty solid....but is there still people who uses not breeded comps? I mean, it's easier to get a decent/usable comp with breeding, and most players at this point would never use a poke without egg moves, making the suggestion a little pointless in my opinion....anyway, i'm neutral about this

I think the idea is pretty solid....but is there still people who uses not breeded comps? I mean, it's easier to get a decent/usable comp with breeding, and most players at this point would never use a poke without egg moves, making the suggestion a little pointless in my opinion....anyway, i'm neutral about this

Aromatherapy is a good move on Blissey, but not everyone who uses Blissey has a need for the move and the same goes for Dragon Dance/Extremespeed on Dragonite. Kangaskhan, Pinsir, Blissey, Dragonite and probably others can function without egg moves. (Tauros doesn't count since it's 100% male)

Yeah, but if this will be implemented it will probably work only on pokes cought after the implementation (just like the date/place in the last update), and who would ever hunt those pokes when he can breed them with or without egg moves, having an higher chance of getting a good one, spending less time?

Yeah, but if this will be implemented it will probably work only on pokes caught after the implementation (just like the date/place in the last update), and who would ever hunt those pokes when he can breed them with or without egg moves, having an higher chance of getting a good one, spending less time?

Different Pokeball images were added to Pokemon that were caught after the last major update, so the game already knows which ball those Pokemon were caught in (unlike the ones caught before the update that were put in regular Pokeballs). Even if it weren't the case, Pokemon caught after this hypothetical update would emerge in Safari Balls and therefore be obviously lacking egg moves.

Although breeding for good IVs is usually easier for rarer Pokemon, there is always the chance of making a lucky catch and sticking with it or using a Chansey that was caught while hunting for lucky eggs - people catch a lot of them and so inevitably there will be some really good ones among them. Some of the more common Pokemon in there like Rhyhorn are easier to hunt than to breed since they're... Well, common. Rhydon doesn't need megahorn to be viable (although it does help) but in 50s, a Safari Ball would mean that it doesn't have the move, thus making it less of a threat against certain Pokemon.

I can understand why you could see this as a problem, however I don't really consider it to be one.

It works this way regularly in any game in the series, whilst the concept is nice, having purchasable Safari Balls seems like a bad way of 'fixing' it, they have never been purchasable, and it partially defeats the novelty of Safari Balls in the first place.

I don't suppose there is much wrong with being able to switch to a separate PokeBall, although I do believe that goes against lore.

Perhaps in the future PokeBall seals will become a reality, with custom ones being able to solve this problem.  - Or, perhaps a display of the actual seal over the top of the PokeBall itself, something that was not done in D/P/Pt, covering it's design.

I would love to see the seals for the pokeballs implemented :D <3

I can understand why you could see this as a problem, however I don't really consider it to be one.

It works this way regularly in any game in the series, whilst the concept is nice, having purchasable Safari Balls seems like a bad way of 'fixing' it, they have never been purchasable, and it partially defeats the novelty of Safari Balls in the first place.

I don't suppose there is much wrong with being able to switch to a separate PokeBall, although I do believe that goes against lore.

Perhaps in the future PokeBall seals will become a reality, with custom ones being able to solve this problem.  - Or, perhaps a display of the actual seal over the top of the PokeBall itself, something that was not done in D/P/Pt, covering it's design.

having purchasable Safari Balls seems like a bad way of 'fixing' it, they have never been purchasable, and it partially defeats the novelty of Safari Balls in the first place.

The novelty of Safari balls? I'm sure you're very familiar with changing how the game was originally meant to be played from simply being multiplayer FireRed to what it is now. I think the notion of novelty has been lost by now.

Following the lore seems to be another weak reason too since other changes made to the game do not follow the lore. Changes such as the implementation of Mewtwo for example. I'm sure when that decision was made, the lore wasn't considered for the final product.

Following the lore seems to be another weak reason too since other changes made to the game do not follow the lore. Changes such as the implementation of Mewtwo for example. I'm sure when that decision was made, the lore wasn't considered for the final product.

But it was, hence why it's available at a high level in Cerulean cave and originally had movesets based on it's moves in the respective media.

I think you're getting lore confused for canon.

The game does follow lore.

And canon, as much as possible.

The novelty of Safari balls? I'm sure you're very familiar with changing how the game was originally meant to be played from simply being multiplayer FireRed to what it is now. I think the notion of novelty has been lost by now.

Safari Balls are available in the Safari Zone, having them available outside of the Safari Zone defeats their purpose, they're no different from great balls, but they exist purely to signify that a Pokemon was caught in the Safari Zone - and for being a gimmick at the same time.

There is no point in removing their purpose if there are other options.