Dark patches of Grass

Kite

Question

Ok i had searched the forum didn't find anything bout this so i will suggest it. I think adding dark patches of grass where once you enter it, you have the possibility to run into 2 pokemon and have a double battle with basically the same mechanics as Gen IV when it was introduced (or it was Gen V cant remember). Have some of the said patches in various routes with the rarer pokemon to have a higher spawn rate, not to high though as to keep the value of them. you could even throw some in various parts of the safari zone where you get a free turn of the pokemon not fleeing to throw a rock at making 1 flee then try to catch the other. 

Just an idea as it might give a bit of spice to the game.

22 answers to this question

Ok i had searched the forum didn't find anything bout this so i will suggest it. I think adding dark patches of grass where once you enter it, you have the possibility to run into 2 pokemon and have a double battle with basically the same mechanics as Gen IV when it was introduced (or it was Gen V cant remember). Have some of the said patches in various routes with the rarer pokemon to have a higher spawn rate, not to high though as to keep the value of them. you could even throw some in various parts of the safari zone where you get a free turn of the pokemon not fleeing to throw a rock at making 1 flee then try to catch the other. 

Just an idea as it might give a bit of spice to the game.

It was gen v

What you are suggesting is from Gen V and even Gen IV mechanics are NYI,Though I do support your suggestion,I'm pretty sure its's not gonna happen anytime soon.(Maybe a year later or arounds)

some Gen IV and VI mechanics are ingame such as Hidden Power >.> only one that comes to mind XD

Ok so I thought I could bring this back as an idea since we have seen Horde of Pokemon appear in the North Pole which worked out well for the event, which I'm sure if the devs can make 5 wild pokemon appear, they can make 2 appear. Though it was a custom zone, but it did have single pokemon encounters so I think it could be done.

Now to improve upon it a bit, instead of just specific grasses, make it like how it worked in the event, any place you can find wild pokemon you could potentially run into 2 pokemon with say a 10% chance. This will help out with Smeargle for breeding egg moves a bit easier while also possibly making EV training easier. (Not sure if the horde of pokemon from the North Pole would stack EVs for each one defeated ex: 5 dewgong were ko'd you'd gain say 10-20 HP evs...idk if dewgong gives HP evs but it's an example but with 2 randomly appearing it wouldn't be as much EVs). This is just a couple things could happen with this implemented.

So any thoughts or possible improvements?

The only issue with double battle encounters in normal grass is that it makes game progress extremely difficult for new players. Imagine running into double battles on your first steps from Pallet Town. In gen 5, there was a reason the dark patches were separate from normal patches, it was to give the player the option to challenge themselves, but not make it mandatory.

I dont know if every area should have a chance of 2 pokemon encountering, because this could be detrimental in the starting areas for really new players. But I definitely think adding areas like this in certain places, like the 2 safari zones, would be awesome! Maybe also in the really tall grass where you cant see your own head?

I dont know if every area should have a chance of 2 pokemon encountering, because this could be detrimental in the starting areas for really new players. But I definitely think adding areas like this in certain places, like the 2 safari zones, would be awesome! Maybe also in the really tall grass where you cant see your own head?

So perhaps keep the first few routes with just a normal encounters while introducing the mechanic sometime after their first badge. Cause we don't want 2 pidgeys taking down the player randomly or 2 Zigzagoon LOL

Having double encounters in Safari Zone is not possible because you cannot battle in there. In order to throw the Pokeball you need one target on the screen.

not gonna happen anytime soon.(Maybe a year later or arounds)

Akshit, don't you think you're being a bit optimistic there?
Edit:
Op, good idea.  If it makes EV training easier(Allowing for two kills in one battle = more EVs per battle) then it'd be a great addition to the game.

Edited by DaftKitteh

Oya I forgot about that part. The tall grass would be cool though. And other areas where you can do double battles.

We also use sprites from HG/SS, so I wouldn't imagine it would be that hard to use some grass from goldenrod city park that is dark to create patches. 

We also use sprites from HG/SS, so I wouldn't imagine it would be that hard to use some grass from goldenrod city park that is dark to create patches.

HG/SS doesn't use sprites for the overworld. It uses textures.
Regardless, it would need tiles.

The most viable solution in my head would be to adapt the FR ones and have a darker variant displayed - this is easier said than done though, especially when it has an animation

The most viable solution in my head would be to adapt the FR ones and have a darker variant displayed - this is easier said than done though, especially when it has an animation

Couldn't you use an Advance Palette Editor to change the palette for routes to help create "dark" grass? Then let the animation do it's thing with it still being darkened? 

I dont know if you really need to create NEW tiles... just recolor grass patches you already have to be visibly darker. That legit takes 2 clicks in photoshop lol 

I dont know if you really need to create NEW tiles... just recolor grass patches you already have to be visibly darker. That legit takes 2 clicks in photoshop lol 

Not completely, cause if the palette is wrong it won't display correctly.

Not completely, cause if the palette is wrong it won't display correctly.

Its tiled images. A tile image is designed to repeat, but in pokemon you have always been able to see where a tiled image starts and stops, so simply using a darker shade of the same green grass tiles is all that would REALLY need to be done. Unless an artist out there WANTS to make a new image. And creating one tile image for grass would take less than an hour, including the animation, because right now grass animation is only 2 frames long. Creating a new tiled image for a patch literally is no more difficult than going into photoshop with the current tile, and adjusting the Hue to be a bit darker, and resaving the image with a new file name. This takes 2 clicks. I have a degree in graphic design. 

Implementing the patches is the harder part. New code would have to be written and some fiddling with maps, but after the North Pole event, they probably already have this code made up and ready to copy & paste it into place. 

If they can design a patch of grass in-game to be so many tiles wide, so many tiles tall, and single tile patches, it shouldnt be too much harder to put in these new dark patches visually. Having the code activate when you step into these tiles isnt too much more work than a normal code that makes pokemon appear in grass. 

Dont make a project too hard on yourself  :P

You guys are all overlooking one main fact. Dark patches of grass need to be completely optional to enter, as in you can finish the entire main story without having to step in dark grass even once. We need to think about implementing that properly first.

You guys are all overlooking one main fact. Dark patches of grass need to be completely optional to enter, as in you can finish the entire main story without having to step in dark grass even once. We need to think about implementing that properly first.

Of course it would be optional hence "So perhaps keep the first few routes with just a normal encounters while introducing the mechanic sometime after their first badge. Cause we don't want 2 pidgeys taking down the player randomly or 2 Zigzagoon LOL" 

However, I do understand your concern, to allow the routes not be cluttered with random grass they could change parts of the grass in the routes while not blocking to get to the next town, though the route below Mauville would be difficult.