[Implemented] EV training ideas

Since last update, training EVs become even more boring, so i'm giving a "new" ideas:

• Low level pokemon swarms that help us to train def or sp def (HP, ATK and maybe SPD its kinda easy).
  • At least 1 day of the week with doubles all EV points gained (without macho brace).
  • Double or triple all EV points gained forever :V
I know Kyu wants to rework EVs, but not sure if he has any real ideas yet.

So I recommend this.

Or you could go with a multiplier, guitar hero style.

After x kills, you get times 2.

After another x, times 3.

After another x kills, times 4.

And x is defined in such a manner that it takes less than 126 or 76 kills.

But I like the idea of chaining and a scaling EV yield.

I mean, the point is to reduce the number of required kills by adding some kinda interactive factor that makes somehting change.

One more thing, notice how chaining won't work for training HP on wooper/marill or speed in route 1, not sure if this is a good thing or not. But you can always define the chain by EV yield rather than by species.

The more pokemon you beat up in a row, the more EVs you get.

This way you'll EV just as slow in the story, but EV training will be a bit cooler. Perople will actually look forward to "Oh sweet 5 more kills and I get triple multiplier".

So just like in guitar hero where each successful note raises your multiplier, but one mistake goes back to x1.

In this case, a "mistake" is the encounter of another EV yeild pokemon. Or just of another species.

I know Kyu wants to rework EVs, but not sure if he has any real ideas yet.

EV Rework - We're trying to make it less tedious to build a competitive team's optional stats while keeping their effectiveness. Hasn't been discussed enough yet, though. There are several ways we can approach this, current ideas being:

• Flat reducing the amount of total EVs in the world (for example, halving the max EV from 252 to 126 and then scaling the stat gains by 2x)
  • Providing EV boosts depending on how many pogeymans you've grinded
  • Battle Tower EV grinds
  • Some other ideas that haven't been fleshed out.

No, none at all.

That being said, you're more than welcome to throw ideas at us.

Since last update, training EVs become even more boring, so i'm giving a "new" ideas:

• Low level pokemon swarms that help us to train def or sp def (HP, ATK and maybe SPD its kinda easy).
  • At least 1 day of the week with doubles all EV points gained (without macho brace).
  • Double or triple all EV points gained forever :V

The second idea is similar to my suggestion, check out and tell me what you think:

https://forums.pokemmo.eu/index.php?/topic/3402-the-pokerus-thread/page-2#entry571073

I think if they just made a global increase of base EV points x2, it would make it so we can complete a complete EV grind (w/ Macho brace) in 1 hr. For example Ratata gives +1 Speed now it can give +2, use macho brace..BOOM +4.

Well to be fair how would a Battle Tower EV grind even work?

You talk to the pretty girl at the counter, she asks you what you would like to train in. You pick a Stat and battle trainers that can use any Pokemon in the Dex, but will yield the specified EV despite it's normal EV yield. It could be 1v1 with no healing and an optional Exp gain per win. That way when you lose you still have to go back to a center, which if it's a tower, would be right inside. I would suggest nothing more than a 1v1, and disabling Exp. Shares while in the tower. Seeing as how fast you'll EV train, it would just be dumb if you could EV more than one pokemon.

EV share , would work like a xp share but with the same amount of evs the leading pokemon gets , or at least the normal amount of ev the pokemon you kill gives , because what is really painfull about xp share is all the time you gotta wait for the message to finish saying all your pokemons have gained xp when you are doing a 6 man party and also you could ev train poke while killing tangelas for xp and not giving half away to your xp shared pokemon.

OR just a xp share toggle off option on xp share , and a ev share toggle off also (since no iv calc it woud be easier to have pokes with only 0 evs to chek their ivs when you level from level 1, this is only to be easier to chek ivs )

edit: nvm this idea it would ruin amnesia brace's value , but i stilll think its a good idea if youd give amnesia brace the double triple ev value of a pokemon instead of just no xp =)

• 1 month later...

I think reducing the amount of EV's needed or doubling EV gains is the best solution, although a Battle Tower grind might not be too bad, depending on how it works

another totally viable option is to sharply reduce the price of EV potions sold at the celadon mart and leave EV training as it is. This could make a nice hotfix while the development team comes up with a nice overhaul of the system- which is badly needed. EV training is straight up horrible right now and has been for way too long for this still to be an issue  <_<

• 2 weeks later...

A possible rework could perhaps be a simplified version of Super Training or another kind of minigame. In X and Y, EV training is actually somewhat enjoyable and lacks the mindlessness of killing 126 of [insert Pokemon here]. Of course, EVing enough Pokemon via that method would eventually become monotonous so it would have to be rather quick (as in 4/16/24 EVs per round rather than the 4/8/12 of X and Y).  Perhaps training bags could be purchased somewhere such as the dojo in Saffron as well as being earned through the minigame and would be more effective than vitamins but require effort to activate the effect. A player who is in the middle of Super Training could possibly have this above their head:

7ff5gpC.png

A minigame would make EV training less of a grind, would require the player's undivided attention, and if it is random by nature it may be incredibly difficult to bot. The only issues I can really think of are the difficulty of programming such a thing (which I assume would be incredibly high) and also whether the community would actually like it as an alternative method to defeating x number of Pokemon. In the end though, this is just a thought and may be rather silly.

what's wrong with using fish's suggestion as a temporary fix while the team is still working on it?

Temporary fixes that are more beneficial to the player than the actual mechanic are a bad idea.

Especially when an item wipe can be avoided AND there is already a way to obtain desired results.

Temporary fixes that are more beneficial to the player than the actual mechanic are a bad idea.

The original EV training situation in this game was fine- players could afford vitamins so that training comps from 0 to 252 was not absolutely horrible and some lesser investments could be an easy expense to save a lot of time EV training. With the 100 EV limit for vitamins, you don't have to totally nerf gameplay and it still require some work to EV train something.

Especially when an item wipe can be avoided AND there is already a way to obtain desired results.

You can't just wipe specific items? IIRC last time there was an item wipe that was the case. I don't know how much work goes into something like that, so I can't really comment on the difficulty of an item wipe. The problem is that the "way to obtain desired results" is being made needlessly tedious by the prohibitive cost of vitamins.

The original EV training situation in this game was fine- players could afford vitamins so that training comps from 0 to 252 was not absolutely horrible and some lesser investments could be an easy expense to save a lot of time EV training. With the 100 EV limit for vitamins, you don't have to totally nerf gameplay and it still require some work to EV train something.

Players could also afford everything else because money was horribly easy to obtain.

You can't just wipe specific items? IIRC last time there was an item wipe that was the case. I don't know how much work goes into something like that, so I can't really comment on the difficulty of an item wipe. The problem is that the "way to obtain desired results" is being made needlessly tedious by the prohibitive cost of vitamins.

Yes of course we can, but people don't like it happening, so if it can be avoided, then it should be.

Vitamins are meant to be a luxury, they don't exist to be used for every Pokemon you EV train, without you replacing that additional time spent with something else of value.

i.e a money sink.