Explain Hatching Mechanics In-Game

Rache

Question

If the countless help threads have taught us anything, it's that breeding is extremely confusing at first, especially for the players who don't use the forum. Some of them don't even know we have a forum either. Since the current hatching method deviates so much from canon, it's understandable too. People start biking, unaware that they're wasting their time. Some make a thread, some ask other players, and some just simply give up. Occasionally some unlock a flag by accident, but they have no idea how they did it.

If the countless other questions have taught us anything, it's that people don't press H, so linking a guide there isn't going to fix this problem. What I suggest is forcing players to sit through a hatching explanation the first time they receive an egg from the daycare man (because if they're asked and not forced, 99% of players will expect BikeMMO and say that they understand it when they don't). When the player already has an egg and talks to the daycare man again, have him ask "do you know how to hatch an egg?" in case they skipped the initial explanation. It can't hurt to make hatching more beginner-friendly after all.

Discuss.

16 answers to this question

Even thoug the day care is on the fourth island, the most of the casual players won't meet their first egg til 5th island, where they get the togepi egg.

A good mechanic to solve it would be in the lines of:

- The first time a player arrives to 4th island and goes to the daycare the man would say mothing in the lines of "You should visit my friend in the water labyrinth"

- Next the player would go to island 5 and get the togepi egg [the hardest to hatch for a new player imo], and there get the egg hatching explanation from the man

- The next time the playr visits island 4 daycare it will work as usual

This solves 2 problems:

a ) Players hatch their togepi egg

b ) Players learn how to hatch eggs

I swear I have seen this thread based on other threads suggesting to have information in game through the use of teachy TV or an ebook.

Teach TV was the correct one, however considering the other side of the community that doesn't use the forums or completely clueless about it, a little lesson from the old guy how to hatch eggs as for a punishment for witholding our eggs is a justified solution :P 
+1 from me

It is probably good for them to have to put out tiny effort and read. Many of the customers at my store won't even a read a sign I put out. I have to walk across the entire store and read it to them or they don't understand. You can only make it so easy. Some people are just stupid and lazy and you can't fix that.

No offense meant towards anyone. I'm sure some of you have legitimate confusion (as I have had myself), but there is a lot of persons that cry for help before they put out any effort to solve the problem on their own.

I agree even if you make the dialog (NPC, ect.) explain it in detail most people will just click past it not reading or realizing whats said. I would suggest its put somewhere in a NPC, FAQ, ect, reachable within game that people can easily point them in the direction of. This way if you want to be helpful it's not as annoying and you will hear less "How many steps does it take to hatch an egg." in Global chat.

you will hear less "How many steps does it take to hatch an egg." in Global chat.

I change my opinion a bit. You will always see the questions (which was the point I was trying to get across), but putting an explanation in the FAQ in game will cut down the questions. I think it is true. I would support an in game explanation. IMO.

Just thought I'd give this a bump. One of the most important parts of developing a game is to make it intuitive, and to make sure the player knows how to play the game without having to Google it (or in this case search the forums that not everybody knows about), especially when they expect it to work a certain way to begin with only to find out later that they wasted time or just never learn at all. With no "hey, this doesn't work like Fire Red" in-game, it's impossible to know how hatching works without relying on other people to explain it or to use the forums that many just simply aren't aware of.

I think I'll bump this yet again. The number of "my egg won't hatch I've walked for hours" threads should be a clear indication that something -this- different from Fire Red absolutely must be explained in-game. It's impossible to know what to do until you cry for help and someone tells you that you've wasted your time.

Although I completly support this suggestion, give them some time. We don't know if it's been worked on, or if they got it in stand by, I can just imagine one reason to not add it is because breeding mechanics are somehow in a test stage, and if they add a tut about it now, and then modify the mechanics later the tut will have to be modified too.

In this kind of thing is when we need to remember that ipokeMMO is an alpha, not a full developed product and we need to bear with some details like these for a while, and even though you feel like the suggestion thread is dead that does not mean that they forgot about it, however it would be nice to hear something from the staff rather than theorize about their thoughts.

Although I completly support this suggestion, give them some time. We don't know if it's been worked on, or if they got it in stand by, I can just imagine one reason to not add it is because breeding mechanics are somehow in a test stage, and if they add a tut about it now, and then modify the mechanics later the tut will have to be modified too.

In this kind of thing is when we need to remember that ipokeMMO is an alpha, not a full developed product and we need to bear with some details like these for a while, and even though you feel like the suggestion thread is dead that does not mean that they forgot about it, however it would be nice to hear something from the staff rather than theorize about their thoughts.

You make some good points. It seems likely that breeding mechanics will end up being tweaked and perfected and/or changed completely again in the future. At the same time though, as far as I know changing some text isn't particularly difficult. I'm no programmer though, so I could be (and probably am) wrong on that. I suppose it'd be best to wait for the next update if they have no intention of confirming/denying a tutorial, although feedback would certainly be appreciated.

If they ever implement the explanation in an NPC, it should not be skipable the first time as Zipp said.. (what about placing an NPC next to the door of the daycare in isle 4? or next to the old man?)

Whether they change the mechanics or not, information about it would be greatly appreciated in the in-game FAQ, it does get tiring to do a long explanation on global everytime the questions pops up (mind you, more than just a few times per day), in the end if you're tired you simply tell them to go to cinnabar lab.. but it would be great to be able to say "Press H and read the faq handsome [user name]" or "Talk to the NPC next to the daycare"