The Pokerus Thread

Tokxilchaosz

Question

same as the real game

Naw. Would be way to easy to get in an MMO.. as soon as one or two people had it, everyone would. I believe there will be weekend events or something where pokerus becomes available for a limited amount of time, so everyone scrambles to get their hands on it and use it to their advantage.

Pokerus could be somewhat easy to implement using how it normally works except with a tweak: Once a Pokemon contracts the Pokerus, it can't contract it again. Once and done. Similarly, if Pokemon A gives Pokemon B the Pokerus, Pokemon B cannot give Pokemon C the Pokerus because B does not have the original source of Pokerus to spread. Also, drop the amount of time a Pokemon can have the Pokerus to only 24 hours. You either use it immediately, or you lose it.

Aren't those both mechanics from the original games?

Yes, but I think he meant that the benefits would be removed once a Pokemon loses PokeRus status. And I think that the current 1-4 days (as it used to be) is absolutely fine, yaknow why? Because the in game clock is sped up to 4x real time, so 4 in game days would still be 24 hours in RL.

Yeah, currently when time is up on Pokerus you get the little happy face that says it once had it and it can never get the benefits again.

Existing game mechanics.

EDIT: My mistake, it seems the benefits DO stay around even once the virus itself is gone.

"Once a Pokémon's immune system has fought off the virus, they cannot spread it further, nor can it be spread to them by other Pokémon. In Generations II and III, a dot will appear on the Pokémon's status screen to indicate that they have had the virus previously, while in Generation IV and V, it will be a small smiley face. Though the virus is gone, its positive effects will remain, most specifically the ability for that Pokémon to gain double EVs."

Similarly, if Pokemon A gives Pokemon B the Pokerus, Pokemon B cannot give Pokemon C the Pokerus because B does not have the original source of Pokerus to spread.
I agree with the other two points, but not this. How about a person can only have two Pokemon with PokeRus on it at a time (including any that are in the PC)? And if they are traded another Pokemon that has it, the new Pokemon immediately loses it? And if you heal any Pokemon infected with PokeRus at a PokeCenter it is cured. That way people can't hoard them and to string together multiple Pokemon getting it by yourself would be extremely hard?

EDIT: ofc any Pokemon in the PC will lose PokeRus at the regular rate and will not be immune to losing it like in previous iterations.

Edited by Tokxilchaosz

I agree with the other two points, but not this. How about a person can only have two Pokemon with PokeRus on it at a time (including any that are in the PC)? And if they are traded another Pokemon that has it, the new Pokemon immediately loses it? That way people can't hoard them and to string together multiple Pokemon getting it by yourself would be extremely hard?

EDIT: ofc any Pokemon in the PC will lose PokeRus at the regular rate and will not be immune to losing it like in previous iterations.

I think I would rather my idea only because then people can have a full party of 6 Pokemon to train at one time for the 24 hours. Allows them to help their fledgling team get up to competitive snuff so they can finally enter Tournaments and such that much faster.

However, now that I think about it, even though this could be near well impossible to do. It would be better if the Devs could find a way to make a single instance of Pokerus and the subsequent Pokemon it inflicts all share the same Pokerus counter. That way if you DO spread it to someone else's Pokemon somehow through trade or whatnot, the Pokerus spread will still be on the same countdown clock as the original Pokemon source of the Pokerus.

EV training is the "grinding" process that nobody really finds that fun. Having pokerus easily available just makes this process faster. So I'm all for pokerus the same as ingame. So people spend less time sitting in diglett cave and more time roaming around and battling eachother.

... you are the reason why every Pokemon in the MMO will have Pokerus and screw with the casual players who don't know how EVs/Natures properly work and have them constantly slaughtered and not want to play anymore.

EV training is the "grinding" process that nobody really finds that fun. Having pokerus easily available just makes this process faster. So I'm all for pokerus the same as ingame. So people spend less time sitting in diglett cave and more time roaming around and battling eachother.

But it is so rare to get... and if we keep it as is, then there will no absolutely no reward to finding it because you can just stick a lvl 3 rattata in your PC and have it forever. And then every single new person will have it, all they have to do will be ask someone who has it. At that rate why not just make all Pokemon give double the EVs they currently do?

If you play any gen4/5 game you can get it easily from GTS or whatever. I got my own in fire red and if you know anyone else who plays you're bound to get it off them. This MMO is like playing in a room with 1000 other people. If I did that irl and someone found a pokemon with pokerus I'm sure they'd share it around with their mates, so I don't see why it should change here just cause there's more people active around eachother.

What if they made it so you couldn't trade a pokemon that had Pokerus?

It keeps its rarity, as well as its intended effect. Keep the mechanic the same.

Doesn't work at all because pokerus spreads. Unless of course getting Pokerus means that you'll never trade anything really ever again; which would really suck. Pokerus doesn't hinder anyone at all; I see no reason NOT to have it, other than some people's baseless claims.