Project Learn: A Better Instruction Manual/Documentation In-Game

JWingWangWong

Question

TL;DR: Make an interactive instruction manual in-game that has all the resources for the user to look up about the game.

Let's face it, the FAQ does not cut it for information. Having users search all over the game for all the mechanics is just unnecessary when a centralization of knowledge can be placed in.

Project Learn helps bring awareness to users who are new to the game how to play the game and most importantly, how to use the GUI, a defining feature in PokeMMO. Examples of things users will never know their first time playing the game: hovering over the nature to see what the nature does, how to drag and drop Pokemon into the Pokemon trade, and breeding mechanics exclusive to PokeMMO.

An example of what the instruction manual should look like:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/152787606/PokeMMO-Instruction-Manual

This would essentially replace the FAQ in-game, but as well, the FAQ can be added to the instruction manual.

None of these features were mentioned in the table of contents so I assume this has never been requested before.

13 answers to this question

Teaching people how to use the gui is a good idea, it took me 3 weeks to find out the game tells you what a pokemon's nature does in its summary. Could have saved me hours of googling over and over again for the same shit regarding what adament and timid do.

However the breeding mechanics seem are a work in progress and they're changing a bit rapidly as of late. Not sure if it's a good idea ot cover a work in progress.

Oh, I wasn't aware TeachyTV was prohibited from commenting on GUI related concepts. I guess I just don't see any real difference after reading your OP.

Well it would seem hard for me to imagine how they would script the user to show the GUI and stuff especially when they would have to get the resources from the rom to and custom code it to do so. That's what I call unnecessary when a simpler solution does the exact same thing.

Teaching people how to use the gui is a good idea, it took me 3 weeks to find out the game tells you what a pokemon's nature does in its summary. Could have saved me hours of googling over and over again for the same shit regarding what adament and timid do.

However the breeding mechanics seem are a work in progress and they're changing a bit rapidly as of late. Not sure if it's a good idea ot cover a work in progress.

They could just change the information if anything changed and to represent that they could place a "New!/Updated!" sign in the table of contents.

So it's a slightly different method of achieving the same thing that won't require custom code or resources from the rom?

Well it's a different mechanic in general. Think of hatching eggs before this months update and after this month's update. They both hatch eggs but doing so is entirely different. Teachy TV teaches the user information from TV based monologues some guy says over the TV. This suggestion just gives you a book that has interaction based features to help the user understand their elements. So yes, both teach information, but both are entirely different in terms of expressing that base of knowledge.

The staff doesn't even want to give us monthly updates(status) because it "detracts" from game development,but they'll take the time to change the information ina  game manual? I don't think kyu even made the effort to change his recent breeding thread with the changes made on the 23rd.

You just proved he does update his breeding changes in his thread so what are you trying to say?

So your comparison is saying this is a better method than TeachyTV? But not less effort in terms of development in your opinion? If so you should explain why it's better and not just how it's different, is my advice.

They still appear to have the same end result, except TeachyTV seems a bit more fun, enjoyable and welcoming for anyone who has to endure it.

So your comparison is saying this is a better method than TeachyTV? But not less effort in terms of development in your opinion? If so you should explain why it's better and not just how it's different, is my advice.

They still appear to have the same end result, except TeachyTV seems a bit more fun, enjoyable and welcoming for anyone who has to endure it.

Actually by saying this you have given me an idea of how it's better.

Yes it's a lot better than TeachyTV.

Teachy TV is linear and only covers questions, not references. If you didn't get something the first time you have to watch the whole segment all over again.

In a interactive book you can search up words, search up references, and basically have all the knowledge ready for you avail. This actually makes the experience for the user more ergonomic and they can enjoy looking up what they don't know. In fact, watching segments of stuff JUST to find the thing you are looking for is in fact tedious and rather boring. 

Why would I ever watch Teachy TV if I was a new player if I have to watch long segments for each question? The user shouldn't be bored and confused out of his mind and constantly has to back track for information. It's redundant and dull.  

So yes I would rather have information easier to look up and understand than waste my time watching things that may teach me nothing at all

Last time I check you were wrong:

5aa527b306f9235b4685ad5082164816.png

stronk edit

on topic: So a tutorial at the begining, teaching the new users how to use the GUI would be cool, but I'll go ahead and guess it's not added yet because they'll modify the GUI a bit more