Renting pokemon from other players.

Eggplant

Question

Basically, a trade with a time limit on it.

A pokemon marked as "rented" would be sent back to the owner after a customizeable amount of time.

It'd be untradeable for the receiver so we don't get an animal crossing effect "oh but I sent it to frog go get it from him".

Why this suggestion?

""Can I pls borrow a strong poke for elite 4"

"help I got scammed he stole my haunter"

"Selling dex entries, 1k each."

"Can I borrow that salamence for some ddance bagons?"

Plenty of reasons to rent.

I'm just concerned about implementability.

Have a nice day!

9 answers to this question

Considering the current mewtwo mechanics this is quite possible, also if the trainer loggs off the Pokémon will go back to its OT.

There's another one of my concerns.

What if I want to rent a pokemon to someone for a few hours, he pays 10k, and I just logoff?

Or, what if I want to rent something out to someone for long periods of time. 3 days? A month?

This would be an interesting feature, but a double edged sword.

Being scammed out of Kadabras, Machokes, Haunters etc seems to be pretty common, but if the Pokemon was guaranteed to be returned it would be much safer. At the same time though, it would make a "great" scam to lend a Pokemon instead of actually trading it. I have a feeling that this will be commonplace. It would have to be pretty obvious that the Pokemon is a rental.

If this were to be implemented anyway, perhaps there should be a space in the original owner's PC reserved for the Pokemon that nothing else can be placed in so as to prevent deletion or something.

The Pokemon could be locked from changing its item, preventing either party from losing one. (The borrower stealing the item or leaving one on when the Pokemon is returned)

It would also be nice if borrowed Pokemon can't level up or someone could overlevel a borrowed lv50 comp either through spite or ignorance.

This sounds like a pain to implement, but it could be worth it if it these things were addressed.

I like it, but there are several bugs that would have to be planned for and such (like what if it was the only pokemon in your party? What if you're in a battle? etc, etc). For these reasons the 'implementability' of this suggestion might not be as high.  It seems like a very interesting feature, and I can think of several GUI layouts that would help prevent scamming like Rachel mentioned.

All in all a cool suggestion that I support, but one that probably should come after more pressing issues.

Ahh man, the other threads are always so hard to find. Renting, lending doesn't work. Too many wordings!
Also these 1 year necros every time are getting ridiculous.

The keyword "renting" could be added to the title of that thread for searching ease if the moderators think it would help in the ToC.

I, obviously, stand by necroing threads in suggestion box, it makes sure the discussion and points are all in one place. Nice and organized :)