EV training Pokemon List

Hello.

I'm new to the game and just played halfway through the game without caring about EV's and EV training. Simply, because I didn't know about EV's and that EV training boosts your pokemon. I don't fully understand the EV thing, so let me ask a few questions. I guess, I have to start a new game since my pokemon are most likely 'screwed up'. I don't care about screwed up pokemon which I don't like anyway, but my beloved Level 46 Bulbasaur has following EV's:

HP: 49

Attack: 52

Defense: 90

Sp. Attack: 36

Sp. Defense: 15

Speed: 140

Is it screwed up? Is it right, that you always train only two EV's to 252 and don't care (=0) about the other four? Which EV's should I train with Bulbasaur when I start a new game? I guess Sp. Attack and Speed? So I would only fight pokemon who give +1 or +2 Sp. Attack or Speed and run away from other pokemon (or let my other pokemon take care of them)?

No no no, you don't need to make a new character. Usually people don't worry about their first Pokes stats they use to get through the story line. But if you want to EV train your Bulbasaur, just wait for EV reducing berries to work. They subtract EVs so you can raise them however you want.

The EV reducing berries do work. I just tested this. Bought one in the Saffron City Pokemart and gave it to my Bulbasaur. After that it had 10 less Speed EV.

So, by doing that I can reduce all EV's to zero and train them the way I want? That would be cool. Starting a new game wouldn't be fun.

Alternatively, you could just wait until breeding comes out and make a new Bulbasaur from scratch with a nature and IVs of your choice.

Also, it's not strictly important that you stick to 252 for two stats and 4 in a third. Particularly for Venusaur, who isn't really as fast as you might think, you might want some HP and defenses instead of pure damage and speed. Some speed is fine, just saying that you don't have to invest that heavily into it.

I just want to add something that I just figured out a couple days ago. It really helps with EV training and didn't see it posted anywhere around here.

Try adding some Exp. Shares onto the pokemon you are carrying. You can use up to 5 of them plus the macho brace on the first in your party. This way you can train 6 pokemon and have them all gain +1 or +2 EV from each battle depending on what you are facing. I didn't see this posted anywhere and wanted to share. =)

I just want to add something that I just figured out a couple days ago. It really helps with EV training and didn't see it posted anywhere around here.

Try adding some Exp. Shares onto the pokemon you are carrying. You can use up to 5 of them plus the macho brace on the first in your party. This way you can train 6 pokemon and have them all gain +1 or +2 EV from each battle depending on what you are facing. I didn't see this posted anywhere and wanted to share. =)

Please put the evs of the new pokemon!! I would love that!!! Thanks for the post by the way I have loved it since I saw it and I have put it to use to create a great team!

I've been a little busy with other games lately. I'll come back for a bit soon and add the updates.

I think the HP section needs some cleaning up.

Suggestions:

Surfing the small pond in Viridian is very brutal. Instead, change it to surfing Victory Road which has the same Slowpoke/Psyduck rate.

Also, I've found Route 3 just below Mt. Moon is the best spot for macho brace HP training, as the Jigglypuff give a big boost and the Nidoran(f) are as common as Caterpie.

Also, I've found Route 3 just below Mt. Moon is the best spot for macho brace HP training, as the Jigglypuff give a big boost and the Nidoran(f) are as common as Caterpie.

Adding onto this, Hoothoot is also found there semi-commonly and it also gives HP.

how exactly do stat point increases generated by evs work upon leveling? i have a staryu and a gengar that i maxed out evs on spd and sp atk, and the gengar's sp atk is awesome. i haven't kept track of the gengar's stat increase per level, but my staryu just leveled up and both speed and special attack only went up by 2 points. is there something wrong with that or do i just not understand how it works?

• 2 weeks later...

are there any EV boosting items ingame yet?

toher than protiens etc. and exp share.

just want to check before I grind my uguu off

Zinc, Iron etc. but they cost 7000 each for +10 EVs. So if you have alot of money you can buy them though 1 EV training would cost about 360000 Pokedollar.

• 2 weeks later...

ok so i havnt tried ev training any pokemon and theyre all mid 70s is it possible to take it from there or would i need to reset the evs then , i hvaeonly recently started competitive battlingyou see so i want to ev train my pokemon without having to start all my pokemon games from scratch

Instead of listening to your friend, try googling it. EVs max out at 510, so if you had 18 HP/105 Atk/203 Def/27 SAtk/86 SDef/71 Spd and you wanted a spread of 6HP/252 Atk/252 Spd then you're going to have to clear all your HP, Defense and Special Defense EVs before continuing EV training.

You use the EV reducing berries which can be found in Saffron Pokemart.

Very useful - however, I think that the speed EVs are missing the most important training spot(s) of all: virtually any body of water with a high rate of encountering poliwhirls and poliwags. While keeping track of information like this in notepad and looking up specific encounter rates, here's what I came up with. Unedited, so it's a bit messy; I didn't intend for anyone to read it but myself until I saw this topic. The below information on encountering poliwhirls and poliwags assumes that the player is fishing, not surfing, at the pond closest to the Viridian City pokemon center, and that they're using a super rod. A good rod decreases the total number of combined poliwhirl/poliwag encounters from 80% to 60%, making it a worse choice.

Speed EV training - Poliwhirls 2, poliwags 1, found only with super rod, Viridian City pond 5 steps from pokecenter = best spot, 40% poliwhirls, 40% poliwags, 15% gyarados, 2.5% psyducks and 2.5% slowpokes. IGNORE slowpokes, but DO DEFEAT psyducks, 1 sp. att. EV, may as well.

Breakdown:

40% 1 EV (Poliwags)

40% 2 EVs (Poliwhirls)

20% Null (All other pokemon)

Total average of 10 encounters: 12 EVs (4 EVs from 4 poliwags, 8 EVs from 4 poliwhirls)

^ With macho brace: 24 EVs, obviously

Speed EV training 2 - Dugtrios 2, digletts 1, Diglett's Cave, great spot since there's only Diglett and Dugtrio

Breakdown:

95% 1 EV

5% 2 EVs

Total average of 10 encounters: 10 EVs (10 EVs from 10 digletts, negligible EVs from dugtrio)

^ With macho brace: 20 EVs, obviously

And, of course, the longer you train in either spot, the more noticeable the gap between the EVs you gain in each location becomes.

I hope this helped!