Wonder Trade

JWingWangWong

Question

It's like you didn't read my last post

Both systems still promote a way to make trades shit trades and who cares if there is shit trades. The point of wonder trades isn't to be satisfied, it's to take a risk.

I'm saying that if there's 100% only shit trades, it's hardly a risk. You already know the result. Gon be shit.

I mean, there's gotta be at least some kind of perk for people to want to put good things in there. Even if there isn't a rated matchup. The people who put in shit would have as much access to the good stuff as the people who put good stuff in there.

So like, how about this. The higher your rating, the more perks you get. Like uhh, stupid things. Increased shiny encounter rates, or exp or money, rng stuff. But it won't affect your trade-matching with other people.

I'm saying that if there's 100% only shit trades, it's hardly a risk. You already know the result. Gon be shit.

I mean, there's gotta be at least some kind of perk for people to want to put good things in there. Even if there isn't a rated matchup. The people who put in shit would have as much access to the good stuff as the people who put good stuff in there.

So like, how about this. The higher your rating, the more perks you get. Like uhh, stupid things. Increased shiny encounter rates, or exp or money, rng stuff. But it won't affect your trade-matching with other people.

Yea but assuming 100% of the time it's shit trades is only just that; an assumption. I'll mention something that is a huge problem in this: How do you determine if it's a "good" or "bad" trade? Better yet what is a good or bad trade because some people's likes and preferences are different than others. That's a huge problem definition wise and development wise which is why a tiered/reward system makes no sense for something that isn't consistent. 

I doubt there's enough unselfish players to make this work:/

Why do unselfish players need to exist in order to make it work?

The first problem is thinking you need nice people to make it work so people could possibly get good trades. Well that's false. People don't do wonder trade to expect something good they expect to do something risky. Risk and random behaviour has always been something that people have been interested to do.

Take Chatroulette or Omegle for an example. Originally it was a completely random place usually full of terrible people doing lewdy things and with the rare occasion meet people who want to talk, but that still didn't prevent millions of people to go on it. That's how they got success. Recently they have to redirect lewd people to a lewd version of it, but that doesn't mean people with bad attitudes are still not going to be there and they aren't going to reward or punish you for being nice or mean. That's the sheer reality of how those systems work and how wonder trade works. 

Ok, so I have been playing Wonder Trade recently on X and here's the last 10 things I got:

1) Chespin

2) Eevee (JPN)

3) Eevee

4) Bulbasaur

5) Pumpkaboo (Which evolved immediately after the event)

6) Bisharp

7) "Bug" Some level 3 black bug pokemon

8) Drapion

9) Swaloon

10) Pidgey

Now here's the thing: Is Pokemon's Wonder Trade ranked or is it because people have so much extra Pokemon during breeding they just give it away? To apply that to PokeMMO, since breeding is nerfed and the abundance is going to be slim, would it change what the person sends in wonder trade significantly?

Yes but people also send stuff like hi level raichus and version exclusive pokemon so it equals out.

This is the only thing I find won't apply to pokeMMo, as everyone has acces to pokemon from Fire Red and Leaf Green.

would it change what the person sends in wonder trade significantly?

What would change it after the new update, is that everyone is trading pokemon for P$; that already reduced the number of giveaways (!) alongside the breeding production limit, so now less likely people will use a wonder trade to give away pokemon that might have some value in P$.

I mean Pokémon rarer Pokémon will be rarer to get in a trade and the chances of shinnies being traded to the player being the same as the chance of wild Pokémon being shiny.

What.

Wonder Trades are a way to trade pokemon with other players around the world. You don't know what pokemon you get back.

Now here's the thing: Is Pokemon's Wonder Trade ranked or is it because people have so much extra Pokemon during breeding they just give it away? To apply that to PokeMMO, since breeding is nerfed and the abundance is going to be slim, would it change what the person sends in wonder trade significantly?

Pretty good question. Are people just giving away things because they have too many?

As noted above, Giveaways in-game have all but ceased due to the limitation of 1 egg per player at a time, meaning that players likely did it because they had nothing better to do. Now that we've begun the economic reforms, it's likely people will continue attaching value to bred / captured pokémon instead of dropping them off for nothing.

Regarding the idea itself: I doubt it would work very well without some sort of arbitrary rating system coming into play. We could apply the Breeding's Tier listing (it's actually just a rarity guide we made based on chance to encounter in the world) to it in order to ensure that you get something relative to what you put in, within a random range (+/-1 tier).

Pretty good question. Are people just giving away things because they have too many?

As noted above, Giveaways in-game have all but ceased due to the limitation of 1 egg per player at a time, meaning that players likely did it because they had nothing better to do. Now that we've begun the economic reforms, it's likely people will continue attaching value to bred / captured pokémon instead of dropping them off for nothing.

Regarding the idea itself: I doubt it would work very well without some sort of arbitrary rating system coming into play. We could apply the Breeding's Tier listing (it's actually just a rarity guide we made based on chance to encounter in the world) to it in order to ensure that you get something relative to what you put in, within a random range (+/-1 tier).

Giveaways died down a lot after you implemented 100% disobedience, the one egg thing just sort of put another nail into the coffin. That's what I've noticed at least

So basically

if (Pokemon equals tier 1){
Pokemon gets placed into random tier 1 + tier 2 trade 
else if (Pokemon equals tier 2) {
Pokemon gets placed into random tier 2, tier 1, and tier 3 trade
}
etc..

That is quote on quote a "fair" trading system but I actually thought about why it doesn't seem to work and why a potential nail on a coffin could potentially make such a ranking system  for wonder trade boring. The matchmaking for wonder trade is quite instantaneous (less than a minute) so if you add a ranking system to it you could potentially slow the matches of finding people which would make waiting times significant. Now, assuming the constant for people is 20k per day and about 120 people are using the wonder trade per hour and each active search (queue time 10 minutes)  has 12 people and say there is about 6 ranks +/- 1 rank you'll have about 0-12 people per search within 10 minutes instead of a guaranteed 12 people to choose from. Thus people would get bored trying to find people because waiting 10 minutes per trade isn't worth the time.

So the question here is how would you solve additional long wait times if adding a ranking system?

I have a fairly good solution but I want to hear what you have to say.

while this idea sounds like it could be cool. it's something to be put on the backburner for now while so many other things get implemented. this might end up never used and shouldn't be prioritized above fixing breeding, new regions, fixing the economy, ect.....

That has nothing to do with the idea being flawed that's just the reason "they should do other stuff" which isn't a reason, that's an assumption.

Y'know, this would be most useful to newcomers. If they put a rattata and in return they obtain a somewhat rare/onlyobtainablelateinthegame pokemon it makes the run much more interesting. Specially if you add this as rule in a nuzlocke, as then you would have a completely randomlocke. I approve.

Increase acceptable trade tier ranges over time.

That's one way to do it, however the mechanic to wait for a random trade in any circumstances maybe boring to some. 

So here's what I found to be a fun way to solve this issue:

So in wonder trade for PokeMMO you could do trading in two ways:

1) If you pick a Pokemon from your party you are to wait for the trade before anything else can happen. (Like normal wonder trade)

2) If you pick a Pokemon from the box you do not have to wait for the trade before anything else can happen. So how would this work? Kind of like the staff support request thing, the trade is sent in like a ticket so that you can do stuff while your random trade can be processed. Once the trade is complete a notification will tell you that the trade is finished. However, you will not be able to access your PC until the trade is finished.

Oh, also for security reasons, do you want to have the people you traded to anonymously? Because unlike in Pokemon X and Y you can send some pretty nasty stuff to people if you get a terrible trade.

On 10/15/2013 at 3:27 PM, JWingWangWong said:

Trade a Pokemon to a random trainer and receive a random Pokemon back.

Taken from X and Y.

Fun risk vs reward. 

No shame in copying the suggestion whatsoever.

thanks I'm new to the game and on the forum I don't know how to use these functions yet

On 15/10/2013 at 15:39, shervinz said:

parece legal eu iria totalmente para isso. Melhor maneira de se livrar do pokemon que você deseja liberar. Eu não sei como isso é feito em X e Y, mas precisaria haver um limite de pokemon que você pode trocar com NPCs por dia, certo?

daily limit of exchange with npc?
As far as I know you can only change it once...
in pokemmo isn't it like that too?

On 16/10/2013 at 15:47, JWingWangWong said:

Estou dizendo que se houver 100% apenas trocas de merda, dificilmente é um risco. Você já sabe o resultado. Vai ser uma merda.

Quero dizer, deve haver pelo menos algum tipo de vantagem para as pessoas quererem colocar coisas boas lá. Mesmo que não haja um confronto classificado. As pessoas que colocam coisas boas teriam tanto acesso às coisas boas quanto as pessoas que colocam coisas boas lá.

Então, que tal isso. Quanto maior sua classificação, mais vantagens você recebe. Como uhh, coisas estúpidas. Aumento das taxas de encontro brilhante, ou exp ou dinheiro, coisas rng. Mas isso não afetará sua correspondência comercial com outras pessoas.

Sim, mas assumindo 100% do tempo é apenas isso; uma suposição. Vou mencionar algo que é um grande problema: como você determina se é uma negociação "boa" ou "ruim"? Melhor ainda o que é um bom ou mau negócio, porque os gostos e preferências de algumas pessoas são diferentes dos outros. Essa é uma grande definição de problema em termos de definição e desenvolvimento, e é por isso que um sistema de recompensas/camadas não faz sentido para algo que não é consistente. 

that's true
I'll use myself as an example:
as long as I don't have a litwick
a level 1 litwick would be a great trade for me