[Story] The Man

guyverone

This is something I started working on, it was about a dream I had which is somewhat explained in the story. I've slowly been working on it and thought it would be fun to share it here. The Man is the working title, but it's still in progress and I will add the rest as soon as I type it out.

The man is sitting in a long hallway, the walls are made of cement and are very plain.  They are painted sky blue, with lead paint as the man can see the pieces chipping away and falling on the floor.  It is a very old and long hallway with rooms on both sides and he has to squint to see the end.  The light at the very end of the hall is flickering slowly. The man focuses on the dimming light.  He finds himself completely enthralled as the hallway is silent, the old building makes no noises and is dreadfully eerie.  The light at the end of the hall finally goes out and the next one begins to flicker as the man's attention gravitates towards that one.  That light goes out, and another soon after all in a row.

The man is sitting at the desk, the only piece of furniture in the hallway besides the chair that he is sitting in.  He rocks his chair back and forth to help pass the time, the lights continue to go out one by one slowly getting closer to the end of the hallway where the man is sitting.
  The man licking his lips says to himself " I sure could use a drink"
He hears rustling the left of him, he looks over  and the room next to him is pitch black.  It is the only room in the hallway that does not have any lights on.  He could see down the hallway and see the shadows of people moving in the rooms move, letting him know that he is not alone in this hallway.  Therefore he's not worried of flickering lights and he chooses to ignore the heavy feeling weighing on his chest.

Slowly but surely more and more lights continue to dim and go out.  The light from the other rooms spills into the hallway illuminating the areas left in the dark from what could only be chalked up to electrical problems with the old building the man is in.  He hears more rustling then grabs the flashlight from the desk drawer, and looks to his left.  He pans the flashlight around the room only to see nothing until he moves the light over to the bookcase, where he sees A book hovering in midair and slowly being fit into place in its correct order.  The man does not panic, he simply accepts it and slowly turns back away from the room.

The event runs through his head, he asks "what could that have been?"
The man has become increasingly tired and sums up his experience using that as validity.  The man turns and faces the long hallway peering down to see if the lights had gone back on as more and more dim slowly creeping towards him. He sees the sparkling of a glass on his desk to the left, focusing his attention towards it.

"Where did this come from?" He ponders to himself as his heart begins to beat faster and faster.

He leans forward in his chair to open the drawers, looking for a matching glass or something else to give him a clue of where the glass appeared from. He opens the last drawer where a bottle of scotch and as he does, he's jarred backwards in his chair by the clanging of ice cubes in the glass on his desk. He slams the drawer closed swiftly as he sits up at attention, the faint echo of the bottle of scotch smacking against the back of the drawer echoes through the hallway. The shadows of the people in the rooms slowly fade away and the hallway falls silent once more. The man stares at the glass intensely watching the ice slowly melt, with sweat from his brow running down his face.

• Kizhaz locked this topic