Where is your (US) dialect from?

Dannnno

http://spark.rstudio.com/jkatz/DialectQuiz/ - It can be pretty slow getting on the site and getting through it, it gets lots of traffic

Fun thing I found while researching some stuff about linguistics for a class.  Its actually fairly accurate at placing where you were born/grew up, or at least where your parents grew up.  

4wU1i.jpg

It seems to really like Michigan for me, although the Iowa/Southern Minnesota is still clearly a fairly likely choice.  How about the rest of you? Can it match up well?

My dialect differs, I use multiple words for the same thing and my pronunciation of different words are interchangeable. Like for example, I pronounce aunt in two different ways and this change isn't dependent on how it's used but how I feel. There's no option for that. I've lived in many different places and that's likely the cause.

My dialect differs, I use multiple words for the same thing and my pronunciation of different words are interchangeable. Like for example, I pronounce aunt in two different ways and this change isn't dependent on how it's used but how I feel. There's no option for that. I've lived in many different places and that's likely the cause.

I do the same with words like either and neither.

Also Chuckie Boston Masterrace reporting in.

Am I American now?

eF50sig.png

cYAolyl.jpg

after i answered some of them i was kicking myself because i answered incorrectly.  like i never order take-out or carry-out, i order pick up so i should've picked other.  it was spot on regardless.  most similar #1 is my shire, most similar #5 is basically where i live now.

i was pretty surprised at what was least similar though.  how do people in connecticut talk?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.