Second: JSTUD

Rules:

32 Players

32 Reserves

6v6 Single Battle

Level 50 Pokemon

Banned Moves: Bide, Hyper Beam, 1HKO Moves

Banned Items: Enigma Berry

Clauses: Sleep/OHKO/Pristine/Species/Item/Hax Item/Evasion/Bag Item/Time/Self KO

List of Clauses and what they mean

Date:

Sunday September 8th

6:00 PM EDT | 3:00 PM PDT | 10:00 PM GMT

Open: Friday September 6th

Close: Saturday September 7th

Silph Co. Channel 7

Prize:

1st: Shiny Wobbuffet

2nd: 500 DP Hat

The event will be streamed live at http://www.twitch.tv/plizard

Registration Method: Post your IGN in this thread once registration has occurred. I will allow two sign ups per forum account, given they are in different posts. Test posting in this thread will result in being unable to participate in the tournament. Please only sign up players who have asked you to in order to prevent any confusion the day of the tournament. Registration is based on Forum Time. Registration will be randomized, meaning bracket participants and reserves are randomly drawn from the in games names that are posted during registration. Posting during the registration time span does not guarantee you a spot in the Tournament.

If you are on the bracket for this tournament and cannot attend please send me a PM, or post in the thread letting me know you cannot make it, this lessens the time it takes for signs ups the day of the tournament. Thanks in advance.

Notes: 

• Do not AFK Timeout your opponent unless your referee has stated you may. 
  • Disconnecting during a match when result in a DQ.
  • Do not block your opponents, or the Staff running the Event. If there is evidence of this and disregarding staff requesting you to unblock said individuals you will be DQ'd.  
  • Volpi Clause (requesting to change channels for your matches) will not be allowed for this tournament. Entrants are encouraged to uncheck "Render Overworld in Battle". (Menu -> Settings -> Video).

Event Staff:

Host: Plizard
Referees: Deejaye, Gaxeus, Emlee, Mariout, ShinyChansey

[url=http://challonge.com/sundayshowdown]

Bracket

[/url]

[url=http://pastebin.com/fVerGpiY]

Reserves

[/url]

I'm allowing him, I mean, Wynaut? After all, the prize is a Shiny Wobbuffet.

sigh. Before I start, a message to the staff in general: I'm so very tired of having to complain about GLARING errors in your tournaments every other day. I was recently told that things would hopefully get better, and that the event screening process would actually mean something. But this tournament, and this very response to wobbuffet being allowed, shows to me that nothing will or has changed regarding the process. I don't know if the staff are actually this misinformed, or you guys don't really care. Regardless:

The reason to not allow Wobbuffet is that Wobbuffet is completely fucking broken. You cannot counter him, because you cannot switch out against him. It has been the consensus of the competitive community for nearly half a year now that he should not, and is not allowed. The fact this tournament allows it is appalling, and there is no excuse for it. I'm not even going in depth into why he's broken, because it's not some secret only found out just now. If you want to know why, just ask any competitive player on Teamspeak, because I can't be bothered.

I have absolutely no idea as to why you all of a sudden find that it's "okay" to allow him in a tournament. Wobbuffet was banned before you left, Plizard, you should/do already know this. There is no excuse. Especially since there is supposed to be a screening process for events before they are released, the fact that Wobbuffet was clearly not addressed before this tournament was put out shows a severe lack of knowledge, or just caring by the staff. All of these issues within events recently, specifically tournaments, cannot be overstated. There is no excuse. If you guys don't have anyone competent enough to screen these events, then get people who are, because this has gone on for far too long.

The only possible "Excuse" there even is to offer for this is that "Tier lists are not officially supported by staff", which is the worst possible response. Saying that is the equivalent of saying "Well, the community agrees on something, but we disagree despite not having anywhere near as much competitive knowledge in general, or even regarding the PokeMMO metagame specifically, so we'll go ahead and ignore the rules they established because who even cares"; The fact of the matter is, even if the entirety of the staff disagreed with Wobbuffet being banned, that shouldn't even matter. The fact is, the staff's overall competitive knowledge is pretty poor, and even the staff members who are actually good at the competitive side of pokemon do not have much of, if any experience in the PokeMMO comp scene, and they certainly won't be participating in the tournaments they host even if they did.

If you guys can't even properly screen your own events, I don't know what to say. I'm tired of having to post walls of text for every tournament that comes up, and so is everyone else I know. The only reason I'm even posting this is because everyone else I talked to can't be bothered, because they're so tired of poorly thought out events being pushed out. I don't even understand how it's possible to completely mess up BASIC things, Wobbuffet being one of them. If it was simply forgotten about, that's still a massive issue with the screening process, but that's excusable. But the fact that it was on purpose? No. Unacceptable.

I want to enter, but how can I get a pokemon to 50, and stay at 50 until then? Can it be any pokemon you've raised, or do you rent them or something?

You do not rent them, you raise them yourself. To keep them at level 50 you simply do not let them earn any EXP after reaching level 50. 

Just wanted to say I already tried a tournament with Wobbuffet allowed, because I wanted to see how strong it really would be. It is ABSOLUTELY terrible, do NOT allow this monster. It's also boring as hell to see Wobbuffet in every match (and I mean 2 of them each match). Just because the prize is a shiny Wobbuffet it doesn't mean that justify it being allowed (btw that is a fucking terrible 'argument'). Just wanted to give a heads up if you are going to go ahead with this, which you probably are.

And everything Senile said blabla

Plizard is usually open to debate on these things, no need to get worked up over it.  I mentioned in irc after he made that post that wobbufet would make a lot of you upset but since I don't know what makes it ridiculous like some of you do I had no real argument to get him to take it out.

Plizard is usually open to debate on these things, no need to get worked up over it.  I mentioned in irc after he made that post that wobbufet would make a lot of you upset but since I don't know what makes it ridiculous like some of you do I had no real argument to get him to take it out.

The reason to not allow Wobbuffet is that Wobbuffet is completely fucking broken. You cannot counter him, because you cannot switch out against him.

Aren't there several pokemon you cannot switch out against?

The difference is that Wobbufett is guaranteed to take out at least one of your opponent's pokemon (assuming you aren't a complete failure at comp) and often 2 or 3. At least with the others you can generally make a smart switch if you predict an incoming dugtrio or whatever. You can't with Wobb.  Also, dugtrio and magneton are more limited in what they can trap.

The difference is that Wobbufett is guaranteed to take out at least one of your opponent's pokemon (assuming you aren't a complete failure at comp) and often 2 or 3. At least with the others you can generally make a smart switch if you predict an incoming dugtrio or whatever. You can't with Wobb.  Also, dugtrio and magneton are more limited in what they can trap.

Adding onto this, Dugtrio and Magneton each have crippling flaws attached to their trapping. Magneton ONLY traps steel types, and of the steel types, the only one it poses a real threat to is Skarmory. For the others, it needs Hidden Power, and even then it can be OHKO'd by their EQ's. The fact Magneton needs Hidden Power to be able to hit most things due to it's bad movepool, the incredibly limited amount of pokemon it can actually trap, and it's crippling 4x weakness to one of the most common types ever means it's pretty easy to deal with. It's a good pokemon, but the only thing it really excels in is trapping Skarmory.

Dugtrio is incredibly fragile, and it actually has a pretty low attack, so it can't really OHKO much of anything, it has to rely on previous damage. Without Choice Band, this is especially true. It also can't trap flyers or levitators, which are actually fairly common (Skarmory, Gengar, and Salamence come to mind), it can't do much damage at all to other common OU picks and can really only pick them off at low HP (Snorlax, Blissey, any bulky water), and it can't run +Attack to compensate for its poor attack, or it gets outsped by things like Starmie, Gengar, etc.

Wobbuffet traps EVERYTHING. This is a big deal, because it means that even if you predict someone is going to switch into a Wobbuffet and predict their switch, your "Counter" is still trapped. If you predicted Dugtrio/Magneton, you'd be able to switch into something that isn't trapped, and be free to switch out once Dugtrio/Magneton are out. The Wobbuffet user can easily just switch out into something that counters your counter, and even if you know they're going to do that, there's nothing you can do about it. The most you could do is run a Pursuit user, and we're lacking in Tyranitar, so the best option we have is Houndoom, which isn't even that common.

Also, even in this scenario, this is assuming you ACCURATELY predicted the Wobbuffet switchin. It's very possible that you didn't predict it as you are not psychic, or Wobbuffet came in on a revenge, etc.; Not only that, but Wobbuffet does have Destiny Bond, so even if it is put in an unfavorable position it's not very difficult for it to at least take out the opponent with it.

Honestly, Wobbuffet is so good, I'd argue that if you didn't run it you have no idea what you're doing. A pokemon that is guaranteed to take out at least 1 pokemon if you're at least half-decent is something that cannot be stated enough; It's not very difficult to get 1 KO with Wobbuffet, and if you play well a second, or even third KO are very possible.