[Story] [Adventure] A Tale Retold

d535798f-de49-4e18-a50f-458cab0fb729_zps

This is the tale of Rin's journey through Kanto, an alternative story of the Red and Blue games, and I will write the chapters out slowly over time.

Rin is: A 16 year old Male trainer from Lilycove City in Hoenn, he has Long, dark brown hair and journeys to Kanto with only his first Pokemon.

Contents: Will include click-able links to the Posts of the chapters

Chapter One - Beginnings

Chapter Two - Friends for the Road

Chapter Three - The Forest

Chapter Four - The First Round

Chapter Five - Surprise Ending

Side Story, Part One - "Where... Am I?"

Chapter Six - City of Stone

Chapter Seven - Winner Take All

Chapter Eight - N/A

~No Schedule, chapters are added whenever written~

Feedback is welcome. :)

I will NOT add you into the story so please don't ask.

A Tale Retold

Chapter One - Beginnings

Exploration. It was the one word that inspired him. Rin was older than the "Beginner" Trainers starting out in Pallet Town, but he wasn't from Kanto in the first place. Rin's home was Lilycove City, in Hoenn. As he stood there, after traveling from Vermillion City, he noticed two young boys arguing on their way to a large house on a hill. This was rumored to be the home of Kanto's famous Pokemon researcher, Professor Oak.

Brushing the hair from his eyes, Rin slowly followed their path, planning to see the Professor himself, to upgrade his Pokedex to give him information on Kanto's Pokemon. As he walked, he noticed many of the people in this Town had a Pokemon they were close to, helping them out in their daily lives, one such pairing was an elderly man with a Machop carrying groceries. Upon reaching the house, Rin noticed that it was indeed Oak's Lab, and headed inside. He was greeted by the sounds of the two boy's arguments, who seemed to be deciding what Pokemon to choose for their starter. Rin smiled, he already had his partner, entrusted to him by his Mother.

Walking into the room, Rin was quickly spotted by Professor Oak, who greeted him warmly, "It's been a long time since my old friend, Professor Birch sent a youngster on an errand to see me". The boys looked around, and Rin saw that one had a red jacket and short black hair hidden under a red baseball cap, while the other had a black jacket and spiky, light brown hair. They introduced themselves as Red and Blue. Rin learnt that Pallet Town was their hometown, and had been rivals for years.

"You two, it's time you selected your first Pokemon, and begin your adventure into the world!" The boys selected their starter Pokemon. Red, with his Cap, chose a Charmander, the Kanto Fire type starter, while Blue, with his confidence, chose Squirtle, Kanto's Water type starter.

"Hey, Red, I have an idea. Why don't we test out our new Pokemon in a battle?" They each sent out their Pokemon, in the meanwhile Professor Oak upgraded Rin's Pokedex, but Rin was observing Red and Blue's battle. It was his first time watching Kanto starter Pokemon battle, even though they were inexperienced, they fought bravely, dodging and attacking like a beautiful dance, somehow Red's Charmander was victorious with a Scratch attack that looked like it hit a weak spot, resulting in a Critical Hit. The two of them locked eyes and knew their rivalry would escalate beyond anything they imagined, and only one of them, would become the Kanto Region Champion, and Rin just watched, this one time... knowing this Region's Pokemon League would be an exhilarating challenge.

A Tale Retold

Chapter Two - Friends for the Road

Leaving the Lab, Rin felt conflicted. He was both excited and nervous about his upcoming journey. Professor Oak had given him five Pokeballs to capture Pokemon that Rin wished to use in his team. As he stood there, building up his positive feelings, another youth came up to him. He introduced himself as Orian, "Hey, do you want this Elekid?" he asked Rin. Rin was confused, and asked this youth why he was giving away one of his Pokemon. He told Rin that this Elekid was the runt of the Eggs. Rin accepted his offer and took the Elekid, then Orian took off, and Rin didn't see him again for a long time.

Taking his first step on the famous Route One as a Kanto League challenger, Rin was filled with excitement, his nervousness gone. As he walked through the grass to Viridian City, Rin saw many Pokemon. While defeating them all one by one, he recalled his first Pokemon, the partner his Mother gave him before sending him to work with Professor Birch. He had woken up one day, to see his Mother holding a baby Spheal, newly hatched. As she handed her to Rin, she told him, "This is your new partner Pokemon, look after her". These were memories that Rin cherished.

Battling his way through the Route, Rin encountered many Pidgey and Rattata groups, as well as a few other trainers. Using his new Pokemon, Rin begun challenging the Wild Pokemon to battles, and as a result, Elekid and Spheal steadily began to get stronger, as their levels grew. A well known fact in the world was that a Pokedex given to a trainer from a region's Professor could accurately tell how strong a Pokemon is, and convert that strength into levels, with a maximum of level one hundred. In addition to this, the effort Pokemon put into battling could also raise it's strength or defensive capabilities, known by Trainer community as Effort Values.

Finally arriving in Viridian City, Rin noticed there were many other trainers gathered around the Pokemon Center. After asking around he found out that it was almost time for the Pika Cup Tournament, which would be held in Pewter City. Trainers were gathering here to practice with each other in friendly duels. Apparently, the Pika Cup had rules stating that it was a three versus three tournament, and there was a maximum combined level cap of fifty, with the highest level for a single Pokemon being twenty. Intrigued, Rin set out almost immediately, as soon as he healed his Spheal and Elekid. The only thing between him and seeing the Pika Cup in a few days time was Viridian Forest...

Damn, i was browsing through creative media when i clicked your link to this thread.

The story is exciting and well written. I think it's cool that the story is a bit based on your own adventure too :)

Can't wait for the next chapter to come out!

Thanks, I'll get on it when I next get enough free time :)

• 2 weeks later...

A Tale Retold

Chapter Three - The Forest

During his travels of Kanto, Rin had heard many stories about this place; The Viridian Forest. Upon entering, he saw a young boy crying at the base of a tree. Going up to the child, Rin asked what was the matter, the child had lost his partner Pokemon in this forest: a Rattata he had caught. While searching for this Stray Pokemon, Rin and the child got to know each other. The child was named Joey, and he boasted that his Rattata was in the top percentage of all the Rattata in the Pokemon World. A big claim. The search would be long, and around an hour later, another trainer saw them and walked over, he was a Bug Catcher and challenged Rin to a battle. The Bug Catcher sent out a Caterpie while Rin called out Elekid. It was over quickly, as Elekid had mastered Fire Punch during their time in the forest and the search for the Rattata continued. As night began, the two of them sat down under the leaves of a large tree and decided to call it a day, Rin unhooked his blanket and gave it to Joey, since the boy had nothing to sleep under. Rin however had been camping with his friends before, so he was used to the cold, hard earth underneath him.

It was the next morning that Joey told Rin in awe that he was a Future Pokemon League Champion! Rin was taken aback, but thanked Joey nonetheless, as it was a very nice compliment for him. He was packing up the blanket when he noticed a weight drop onto his shoulder. A Weedle. Rin asked the little Pokemon a question, "Are you hungry, little guy?" and the Weedle nodded. Rin then proceeded to give Joey half a loaf of bread, while sharing his half with the little Weedle that had joined them. After the meal, the Weedle looked at Rin with longing eyes, and Rin knew exactly what the little one wanted. Pulling a Pokeball from his pocket, Rin placed it in front of Weedle, who gladly pressed the button. Weedle was now a team member!

The search continued for another two days. They were almost at the Pewter Exit of the forest on their third day of searching when Rin saw something purple dart past a tree. It was Joey's Rattata. As they ran after the wayward Pokemon they noticed it was heading directly into the Beedrill nest they saw the other day and detoured around! Rin sent out the Weedle he had captured and commanded the Pokemon to use String Shot on Rattata... It worked as Rattata's legs were bound and it could not run anymore. The feelings of relief from both Rin and Joey must have been felt by the Rattata, as it calmed down. Rin noticed it was injured, a small cut on it's tail, seemingly from a Poison Sting attack. He cleaned the wound and sprayed an Antidote to remove and poison that may have seeped in, then began to bandage the small Pokemon up. Then the friends began to walk towards the Pewter City Exit.

As they got to Pewter City, Rin and Joey said their farewells and Joey departed to head home whereas Rin headed back to the forest to train his new Weedle. It was at this time when many Trainers started trekking through from Viridian City, around five at a time in groups. With sudden realization, Rin remembered that it was the Pika Cup tomorrow! Rin must make the remaining hours of light mean as much as he could make them. Rin's Weedle began to glow after defeating what must have been the twentieth Metapod, and evolved into a Kakuna! Not too long after, into a Beedrill. As night started to fall, Rin headed back to the Pokemon Center to rest for the night, awaiting the Pika Cup in the morning...

Hey Rin, your chapters read very easy and you add some little sidestory that keeps it interesting. I do feel like you should take your time more. Especially the last chapter so many things happened but it all felt so rushed, taking away part of the enjoyment. The story has more potential if you would pace it down a little more. I look forward to the other chapters.

All of above is IMO ofcourse.

Hey Rin, your chapters read very easy and you add some little sidestory that keeps it interesting. I do feel like you should take your time more. Especially the last chapter so many things happened but it all felt so rushed, taking away part of the enjoyment. The story has more potential if you would pace it down a little more. I look forward to the other chapters.

All of above is IMO ofcourse.

Thanks for the advice, I do tend to rush a little because I get people distracting me, and it got hectic. I definitely plan to redo some of the last chapter to slow it and expand if possible since I eventually plan to release this as a Light Novel series. :)

EDIT: I have had time to make some changes and now rather happy with the result :)

Thanks for the positive feedback :)

I will definitely be re-writing a lot of this, since I've been asked to make this a Light Novel, so you will get a lot more detail added soon!

Notes:

[Spoiler]

Always be on the lookout, since I don't keep a schedule

I just write when the mood grabs me, and I do tend to scrap a lot, so it gets delayed by that too...

[/Spoiler]

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

A Tale Retold

Today was the day. The Pika Cup roll call would begin this morning for those who had signed up. Rin was excited for this, he had seen Tournaments on the television, and lived in the City where all the Contests were held in Hoenn, but this was the first time he had been able to witness a full tournament in person. The announcer finished the roll call, but had a troubled face, "One participant couldn't make it, so we have one spot available for one of the crowd to join", he announced. The audience's outburst of noise was deafening, and a large amount of people thrust their hands into the air. It was frightening, so many people eager and hungry for the glory.

"I could join, if it's alright?" Rin said politely to the announcer, who laughed and replied, "Sure, since this mob would go crazy if I didn't pick someone soon!" It was official, Rin was in the Pika Cup.

The first round standings were shown on screen. Rin was luckily in the final match, so he would get to see what sort of Pokemon the other trainers had. The day passed quite quickly, but the battles were intense and captivating, beautiful Flamethrowers, stunning Thunderbolts, unexpected Explosions and much more, it was quite the spectacle. A wide variety of Pokemon were brought to the tournament, such as Electrode, Cubone, Espeon, Kadabra and even a Farfetch'd or two!

The time for Rin's first round match had come. He was very nervous, since he had never competed in anything like this before.

"Scared, kid? I don't blame ya, I can be very intimidating", his opponent sneered. Something inside Rin flared at that, "I was intimidated by the size of this thing at first, yeah, but now... Now I'm ready, GO! ELEKID!" His opponent sent out a Rhyhorn, and grinned wickedly, boasting that Rin couldn't beat him. Rin smiled thinly, he could beat this Rhyhorn, but it could be tough if he didn't get a Critical Hit... Sending Elekid charging, the Rhyhorn's trainer called for a Double-Edge attack. Smoothly dodging aside, Elekid struck out with an Ice Punch, surprising everyone in the audience, and especially the other trainer, who screamed for an Earthquake, which Elekid could not avoid... Elekid looked finished, and as the ref counted down, Elekid managed to somehow stand up, and with the last of it's strength, hit a powerful Brick Break to finish off Rhyhorn.

Following this, both trainers sent out their next Pokemon, Rin's Beedrill faced the opponent's Charmeleon. It didn't take long, after a brave effort, Beedrill fainted to a super effective Flamethrower. Rin was down to his last Pokemon, Spheal. Calling it forward into battle, a Waterfall attack defeated the Charmeleon. It was one on one, last Pokemon standing. Rin's opponent called out his Furret, a Johto native Pokemon. Furret's trainer called out for a Quick Attack, planning to finish this battle swiftly, but Rin had lived with his Spheal for years, playing together, they were one with each other. All it took was a small roll to the right, and Furret sailed past Spheal and almost hit the barricade separating the crowd from the battlefield. Rin's counterattack was Aurora Beam, which seemingly did little damage. Rin called for an Ice Beam this time, freezing Furret in it's tracks, this was temporary, as Furret broke out of it's icy prison and quickly charged forward, delivering a powerful Return attack. Both Pokemon were exhausted, and it came down to one last move, Spheal's Body Slam hit Furret's return head on, and as the smoke cleared, Furret fell to the ground, defeated. Rin was moving on to the next round!

A Tale Retold

Today was the day. The Pika Cup roll call would begin this morning for those who had signed up. Rin was excited for this, he had seen Tournaments on the television, and lived in the City where all the Contests were held in Hoenn, but this was the first time he had been able to witness a full tournament in person. The announcer finished the roll call, but had a troubled face, "One participant couldn't make it, so we have one spot available for one of the crowd to join", he announced. The audience's outburst of noise was deafening, and a large amount of people thrust their hands into the air. It was frightening, so many people eager and hungry for the glory.

"I could join, if it's alright?" Rin said politely to the announcer, who laughed and replied, "Sure, since this mob would go crazy if I didn't pick someone soon!" It was official, Rin was in the Pika Cup.

The first round standings were shown on screen. Rin was luckily in the final match, so he would get to see what sort of Pokemon the other trainers had. The day passed quite quickly, but the battles were intense and captivating, beautiful Flamethrowers, stunning Thunderbolts, unexpected Explosions and much more, it was quite the spectacle. A wide variety of Pokemon were brought to the tournament, such as Electrode, Cubone, Espeon, Kadabra and even a Farfetch'd or two!

The time for Rin's first round match had come. He was very nervous, since he had never competed in anything like this before.

"Scared, kid? I don't blame ya, I can be very intimidating", his opponent sneered. Something inside Rin flared at that, "I was intimidated by the size of this thing at first, yeah, but now... Now I'm ready, GO! ELEKID!" His opponent sent out a Rhyhorn, and grinned wickedly, boasting that Rin couldn't beat him. Rin smiled thinly, he could beat this Rhyhorn, but it could be tough if he didn't get a Critical Hit... Sending Elekid charging, the Rhyhorn's trainer called for a Double-Edge attack. Smoothly dodging aside, Elekid struck out with an Ice Punch, surprising everyone in the audience, and especially the other trainer, who screamed for an Earthquake, which Elekid could not avoid... Elekid looked finished, and as the ref counted down, Elekid managed to somehow stand up, and with the last of it's strength, hit a powerful Brick Break to finish off Rhyhorn.

Following this, both trainers sent out their next Pokemon, Rin's Beedrill faced the opponent's Charmeleon. It didn't take long, after a brave effort, Beedrill fainted to a super effective Flamethrower. Rin was down to his last Pokemon, Spheal. Calling it forward into battle, a Waterfall attack defeated the Charmeleon. It was one on one, last Pokemon standing. Rin's opponent called out his Furret, a Johto native Pokemon. Furret's trainer called out for a Quick Attack, planning to finish this battle swiftly, but Rin had lived with his Spheal for years, playing together, they were one with each other. All it took was a small roll to the right, and Furret sailed past Spheal and almost hit the barricade separating the crowd from the battlefield. Rin's counterattack was Aurora Beam, which seemingly did little damage. Rin called for an Ice Beam this time, freezing Furret in it's tracks, this was temporary, as Furret broke out of it's icy prison and quickly charged forward, delivering a powerful Return attack. Both Pokemon were exhausted, and it came down to one last move, Spheal's Body Slam hit Furret's return head on, and as the smoke cleared, Furret fell to the ground, defeated. Rin was moving on to the next round!

:D

Just noticed this, I'll continue to check up on ya, enjyoing this so far. ^^

• 2 weeks later...

A Tale Retold

Chapter Five - Surprise Ending

Another few challenging battles later, and Rin had reached the finals of the Pika Cup. He never thought he could get this far, so soon after beginning his Kanto adventure, "I must be imagining all of this" Rin murmured to himself, "How could I get so far, when I'm so inexperienced?" The answer was simple, he thought, it's beginner's luck. As Rin stepped onto the battle arena, he saw his opponent. A fellow young boy, like himself. Rin had watched this one's earlier battles, he had good Pokemon... Rin also knew this trainer's name - Jerry. Rin sent his Beedrill into battle first against Jerry's Meowth. This was no ordinary Meowth however, it was a different colour to regular Meowth.

"Kitten, Scratch Attack!" Jerry called, beginning the final match. Rin countered with Poison Sting, both attacks inflicting moderate damage. Something was wrong with Meowth, Beedrill had Poisoned it's foe, causing more damage as time progressed. A powerful Bite made Beedrill Flinch with pain, and missed an opportunity to counter attack, but instead charged head on to deliver a Fury Attack, defeating Meowth. Jerry then sent out his Nidoqueen, finishing Beedrill off with a Scratch attack.

"This guy's good..." Rin muttered, "Elekid, time to shine!" The crowd whispered in confusion, Elekid was an Electric type, while Nidoqueen was a Poison/Ground type. Rin smiled thinly, before commanding Elekid to use an Ice Punch, dealing tremendous damage to Nidoqueen.

"Nice move" Jerry said to Rin, "Let's see how you deal with this, Nidoqueen, Earthquake!" Rin was taken aback, he hadn't been expecting such a powerful attack at this stage of the battle. It was down to Spheal. All it took was a single Water Gun to finish off the remaining stamina of Nidoqueen. Jerry was down to one last Pokemon as well... Calling forth his Espeon, he commanded for a Psychic attack, defeating Spheal, and knocking Rin into second place. The Pika Cup was over.

Shaking hands on the Podium and complimenting each other's Pokemon, Rin and Jerry became friends and rivals. Slowly the crowd left the arena, and Rin returned to the Pokemon Center to restore his friends to fighting shape. One competition was over, but Rin had another thing to do here in Pewter City. The Pewter Gym...

A Tale Retold

Opening my eyes, I see a strange sight. Some form of woman, with long, is it...  brown? hair, and a kind smile. I recognize her voice though, the same voice that had been speaking to me long before I opened my eyes. Wait... Who is this boy she's with? I've heard his voice too... Tired... I need to sleep...

"Where... am I?" I mumble, slowly waking up. The woman looks at me, I don't think she can understand what I'm saying... I understand her though, she's speaking to me, "Good morning, young one. You seem very healthy!" Her voice is so calm and relaxing. The boy is here again, and the woman picks me up. She's warm, I like her. She passes me to the boy, he's not as warm as the woman is, but he's gentle, I like him too...

A Tale Retold

Opening my eyes, I see a strange sight. Some form of woman, with long, is it...  brown? hair, and a kind smile. I recognize her voice though, the same voice that had been speaking to me long before I opened my eyes. Wait... Who is this boy she's with? I've heard his voice too... Tired... I need to sleep...

"Where... am I?" I mumble, slowly waking up. The woman looks at me, I don't think she can understand what I'm saying... I understand her though, she's speaking to me, "Good morning, young one. You seem very healthy!" Her voice is so calm and relaxing. The boy is here again, and the woman picks me up. She's warm, I like her. She passes me to the boy, he's not as warm as the woman is, but he's gentle, I like him too...

moar moar moar moar moar