tm values thread

fredrichnietze

• 3 weeks later...

Imo roar and bulk up should both be moved a tier up. You don’t use roar much, but I don’t consider it useless. Also bulk up isn’t much used either, but still more used than the other Tm’s in tier 4 and a nice set up move.

Also I think both focus punch and fire blast are worth less than the other TM’s in “tier two”. Fire blast is, on most pokemon, outclassed by flamethrowers accuracy and even though focus ounch is indded a good move, it’s not as used (and vital) as the others in tier 2.

I’m also thinking that maybe blizzard should be moved further down, I can’t come up with a pokemon that can learn blizzard, but not icebeam, and blizzards accuracy of 70 % gives it less power on average than an ice beam and still only 10 % freeze (7 % if accuracy calculated in). Thunder compared to thunderbolt in many ways looks like blizzard compared to icebeam, but the increased accuracy of thunder in rain and the 30 % (21 % if accuracy calculated in) instead of 10 % paralyze makes it in some situation a better option than thunderbolt. Therefore I consider blizzard to be a move that should be moved down while I would keep thunder where it is (where I also think fire blast belongs).

Imo roar and bulk up should both be moved a tier up. You don’t use roar much, but I don’t consider it useless. Also bulk up isn’t much used either, but still more used than the other Tm’s in tier 4 and a nice set up move.

Also I think both focus punch and fire blast are worth less than the other TM’s in “tier two”. Fire blast is, on most pokemon, outclassed by flamethrowers accuracy and even though focus ounch is indded a good move, it’s not as used (and vital) as the others in tier 2.

I’m also thinking that maybe blizzard should be moved further down, I can’t come up with a pokemon that can learn blizzard, but not icebeam, and blizzards accuracy of 70 % gives it less power on average than an ice beam and still only 10 % freeze (7 % if accuracy calculated in). Thunder compared to thunderbolt in many ways looks like blizzard compared to icebeam, but the increased accuracy of thunder in rain and the 30 % (21 % if accuracy calculated in) instead of 10 % paralyze makes it in some situation a better option than thunderbolt. Therefore I consider blizzard to be a move that should be moved down while I would keep thunder where it is (where I also think fire blast belongs).

roar can be bought at celadon, bulk up is useful but can be found in sliph co so it is really easy to farm and very rarely used.fire blast is great for pokes like nidoking who need the extra power and it is in cinnibar so it takes longer to farm. fire blast also has a very high demand because so many pokes use/run it. focus punch is also found in sliph co but it is used on so many pokemon and can be a game changer if used correctly, i am unsure if it should be in that tier but it's 1 to 1 atm. if more people speak out that it should be move down then i will move it. blizzard hits both opponents in a double battle and has 100% accuracy in hail and thunder hits flying opponents and pokes that are using bounce (gyrados) and rain teams like you said (electrode) so it has it's uses. i run blizzard on a ludicolo for that extra damage and because i use ludi in double battles. being able to hit both opponents with surf or blizzard is a big asset especially when teamed up with a poke that can rs, eq, surf, blizzard, air cutter, ect.... blizzard is found on cinnibar isle and thunder in the power plant so they are both "later game" tm's that arent as easy to farm as say thief (mt moon).

roar can be bought at celadon, bulk up is useful but can be found in sliph co so it is really easy to farm and very rarely used.fire blast is great for pokes like nidoking who need the extra power and it is in cinnibar so it takes longer to farm. fire blast also has a very high demand because so many pokes use/run it. focus punch is also found in sliph co but it is used on so many pokemon and can be a game changer if used correctly, i am unsure if it should be in that tier but it's 1 to 1 atm. if more people speak out that it should be move down then i will move it. blizzard hits both opponents in a double battle and has 100% accuracy in hail and thunder hits flying opponents and pokes that are using bounce (gyrados) and rain teams like you said (electrode) so it has it's uses. i run blizzard on a ludicolo for that extra damage and because i use ludi in double battles. being able to hit both opponents with surf or blizzard is a big asset especially when teamed up with a poke that can rs, eq, surf, blizzard, air cutter, ect.... blizzard is found on cinnibar isle and thunder in the power plant so they are both "later game" tm's that arent as easy to farm as say thief (mt moon).

Okay, thanks, fine argumentation, I still find the other TM's in tier 1 more usde than fire blast and focus punch. I'd forgotten about the fact that you can buy roar so you are deffinately right about that one. ^-D Also I didn't know about the points at which blizzard was better than icebeam so you also got me convinced on that one. Also I can see the reason you've put bulk up where it is, I still think it's used a little more than most of the others in that tier, but tiers can't be totally even and I think it's okay that it lies there. .-P

• 3 weeks later...

I think tms are going to rise in value simply bc alt runs are now harder to do.

i agree that non renewable tm's will rise in value but gc tm's likely wont, as their farming time hasn't significantly risen and everything else's farming time has. pick up is confirmed next update and "crafting" as a money sink is as well. so the rise will be short (hopefully) lived. in the mean time 

tm 16(light screen), 20(safegaurd), and 33(reflect) were implemented in the last update. anyone have any thoughts over which tier they should all be placed?

???

• 2 weeks later...

i think s bomb shud be tier 1 since u hav to complete story to get it .

yeah but it's REALLY hard to trade a s bomb for a EQ. if you offer EQ for s bomb you'll get 50 /w of people wanting to do it. while it's harder to get them EQ it's used less often on less pokemon. thats why it's currently in tier 2. if a lot of people hop on and think it should be tier 1 i'll change it

• 3 weeks later...

I think calm mind should be in the same tier as psychic.

It's true psychic is probably more used but calm mind really isn't that bad of a tm.

But it takes longer to get though.

I mean, for calm mind you actually have to beat rocket hideout, lavender tower, silph co and finally the gym. That's dreadful on an alt run.

Whereas psychic simply requires access to saffron.

• 4 weeks later...

due to the nature of the market this will never be "complete" as the value of individual tm's is constantly changing. however i believe this should be in the complete section as i keep it as up to date as possible. however i you cant make comments anymore? in the complete section? and this thread needs people to be able to discuss tm values.

I think calm mind should be in the same tier as psychic.

It's true psychic is probably more used but calm mind really isn't that bad of a tm.

But it takes longer to get though.

I mean, for calm mind you actually have to beat rocket hideout, lavender tower, silph co and finally the gym. That's dreadful on an alt run.

Whereas psychic simply requires access to saffron.

calm mind is later in the story and has similar amount of uses. however only comp players use cm while none of the noobs do so the supply>the demand. i can buy a cm for 1/4 the cost i can buy a psychic for.

due to the nature of the market this will never be "complete" as the value of individual tm's is constantly changing. however i believe this should be in the complete section as i keep it as up to date as possible. however i you cant make comments anymore? in the complete section? and this thread needs people to be able to discuss tm values.

You can't comment/edit posts in the main subforum anymore because of how they have it set up. Its like 'Archive' subforums and the Announcement/update subforums.  We don't have the permissions to do those things anymore, and we should (for GT I mean).

See my GT 2.0 suggestion for more.

• 8 months later...

i updated this and moved up/down about 20 tm's. things like reflect and calm mind have gone up while ice beam/tbolt/flamethrower which can be bough for 13k and others were moved down. havent put a estimate cash value to all the tm's. any input welcome. this can be moved out of wip now that you can comment in finished guides.

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...

whoever decided to price everything shoulda read this guide. 

Well not really, market prices are based on desire but also based on availability (which is mostly down to how far into the storyline they are and how long it takes to obtain them in an alt run).

Because alts aren't as relevant with the implementation of TMs in shops, neither is the market price of each TM.

The idea behind the set prices was also to create a new standard based on things such as base power and usability.