Different Egg Sprites Depending on Type

Falcon

Question

well simple put give each egg a different look either by egg type or pokemon type (main type so what ever is first so lets say grass/ground it will be grass)

an for the hatching part they will simple move left an right (or they can begin to crack slowly till they completely hatch)

image below of eggs (probably can find 10 times better ones but i just searched google real fast)

[spoiler]PoKeMoNeGgS.jpg[/spoiler]

19 answers to this question

Once, I wanted that to happen. However after knowing more about it I can tell you that would be nigh impossible. The game uses a single picture for all Pokemon Eggs (Except a Manaphy Egg, which is one of the reasons Manaphy are banned from this), so programming the Egg designs for each evolutionary line would be either impossible and/or extremely difficult.

I don't know if it is true, but I asked once about this and this player answered me. Seems legit.

Even if it is possible, and about the double types? 

I think it would be more logical to have different egg sprites based on the different egg groups as opposed to types. It's just much more useful to the breeder in question, (if you can call it useful) considering they know what type of Pokemon they're getting. Then again, it would be quite nice to have any other sprite than the one currently implemented, just to spice up breeding a little bit. 

But to be honest, I have no idea how this would be implemented. Creating the sprites would be easy, however the rest of the implementation would be absolute hell for the developers. It is too out of proportion in terms of true value to the game, and the amount of work it would take to add.  

I think it would be more logical to have different egg sprites based on the different egg groups as opposed to types. It's just much more useful to the breeder in question, (if you can call it useful) considering they know what type of Pokemon they're getting. Then again, it would be quite nice to have any other sprite than the one currently implemented, just to spice up breeding a little bit. 

But to be honest, I have no idea how this would be implemented. Creating the sprites would be easy, however the rest of the implementation would be absolute hell for the developers. It is too out of proportion in terms of true value to the game, and the amount of work it would take to add.  

in terms of the current development in the game yes it will be hell but it will be like the unknows or spinda (i believe there patterns are different) 

an yes i was supporting egg groups but because there is so many i wanted to start smaller an with something achieve-able an not over bored as i know this would be difficult but its almost like the pokemon eggs name "SNORLAX EGG" "ABSOL EGG" "DRATINI EGG" an so on

i believe if you give those eggs "types" that are the eggs not the parents egg type it would be able to be changed to maybe a dozen different eggs

Say a colour for each group and if a Pokémon is in 2 groups it has both groups colours?

yes sorta maybe have the color different an have icons on the eggs then maybe have the single type eggs have a set color an set detail

soo if its 2 types it will be color then be the details

There is a contest being held right now involving the creation of egg sprites. There is a specific size and shape for the sprites and I'm assuming this is part of an effort to push for the implementation of Pokemon-specific egg sprites. Maybe I'm wrong though.

There is a contest being held right now involving the creation of egg sprites. There is a specific size and shape for the sprites and I'm assuming this is part of an effort to push for the implementation of Pokemon-specific egg sprites. Maybe I'm wrong though.

^This, I saw the contest and immediately figured that was why they where doing it.  I would say the only real reason to make such a specific art contest would be to do so, but you know this is all just speculation.

The Egg sprites for all eggs are pulled from a single image file. To make all the Pokemon have different egg designs would be a huuuuuge time sink for the developers. I already asked a few staff members about it. Probably will never happen.

EDIT: Which is a shame really, the Egg Contest has produced some AMAZING results. (Yes, Louis CK, "amazing")

^This, I saw the contest and immediately figured that was why they where doing it.  I would say the only real reason to make such a specific art contest would be to do so, but you know this is all just speculation.

Orrrrr maybe someone had an idea for something fun for people to do....

Not everything has hidden meaning. :)

I don't know which staff member you spoke to, but changing pointers is very little work and if the sprites already existed it wouldn't even be a question of time waste. 

However, I'm not one for aesthetics over gameplay, so by all means let's bury this and come back at another time.

It could be even pokemon-specific if you felt like it.

I know it's already been made by other people.

You could probably get in contact with them and ask. (To avoid art theft.)

This site called "Pokefarm" has them up to gen 5, I'm pretty sure.

Maybe too much effort but totally possible.