[Tool] StepCounterHUD, Need testers

Hey everybody! I've been working on this tool for a long time now, and I just recently made a huge breakthrough in the development process!!!

Now,

I need YOU!

Yes, you! I need you to help me improve my tool!

Where to get it?

you can follow those links to download

the source, or the exec (or even both if you want !)

What does 
it do?

Allows you to count the steps you make with a neat in-game HUD +

+ Allows you to customize your keybindings (running, bike, pausing the counter, creating new counters, and which direction keys you use) +

Displays a progression bar (as seen below) for the steps you make +

+ Allows you to customize multiple counters at one time, with the option to pause each of them separately +

+ Use presets for each counter (Safari Zone, Egg Counter, and a Misc. Counter) +

+ Allow you to save your counters from one launch to the other ! +

The Main Screen

Spoiler

2qurpk9.png

Displayed in the picture above are

+  One Egg counter +

+ One Safari Zone counter (toggled to “disabled”) +

One Misc. Counter

+ The debug tool (the 755 written in a white square; used to quickly reference how many steps have been made since opening the tool) +

The Options panel

Spoiler

2624ivt.png

The Add-a-Counter panel

Spoiler

ohpkiu.png

What do I need you for?

+ To try it out and tell me what you think, of course! +

+ Letting me know what features you would like to see added! +

+ Helping me to get an idea of the correct intervals needed for walking, running, and riding the bicycle +

+ Finding and reporting any bugs you may run into. +

Stuff to help you

+ the little avatar, showing what direction the program sees you going to +

+ the little debug tool (the white box with numbers in it) to show you the steps count of the program +

+ click on the debug tool to set it back to 0 !+

Changelog :
  Version 0.0 : first release
  Version 0.9 :
    - saves your Counters !
    - added a way to reset the debug tool (the little white box)
    - bike bug not setting up solved
    - moving the progress bar handling outside of the paint event

i dont see the point.

so i take my single button keys and change them to a diffrent single button one?(run and directions)

or take my pre-existing hotkeys(bike f6, map f5, rod f1) and change to a diffrent one?

well, not sure what you want to say but : 

the option panel allows you to change the settings my soft will respond to, if you bike is set to be put on with F1, just put F1 into the soft, idem for the directions keys, put the exact same keys than set into your game and when you walk up in game, the soft will see it and update the counter

does that answer anything you where asking ?

Thanks for the sweet step counter, StanFear! I'll be trying this out and letting you know what I think.

Could you possibly elaborate a bit more on the whole "Help me set the intervals right (walking, running, biking)" thing? I would be more than happy to help out however I can, but I am bit confused as to what this implies.

[spoiler]I noticed a lot of spelling errors in the post. Correcting those could attract more attention to the project. And it would quite my inner grammar nazi.[/spoiler]

Already noticed something.....

The font and background color in the options menu blend together to the point where I need to turn my brightness up to see the text. Maybe lighten the background color of the options menu a bit?

Already noticed something.....

The font and background color in the options menu blend together to the point where I need to turn my brightness up to see the text. Maybe lighten the background color of the options menu a bit?

well, maybe I'll set the font color to white

I noticed a lot of spelling errors in the post. Correcting those could attract more attention to the project. And it would quite my inner grammar nazi.

well, on that, I'm going to need help ! as you can imagine English is not my primary language so why don't you send me via PM mistakes you can see ?

Could you possibly elaborate a bit more on the whole "Help me set the intervals right (walking, running, biking)" thing? I would be more than happy to help out however I can, but I am bit confused as to what this implies.

well, it means, walking around and count if the tool is right, if not, change the settings to be more precise and retry !

if while testing the number of steps counted is higher than the steps actually done, the interval value have to be set higher, if it is the opposite (measured steps lower that number of steps actually done) you have to set the interval to a lower number

I'll test it. Since the delay could vary from system to system, it's great that you included a way to change it.

when I saw on the other thread that some people had some huge differences, I immediately understood that it was different for everyone, and therefor it had to be changeable.

well you have, in the first post, at the end of it

Thanks, one note. Is there any way you can make the progress bars move without having to refresh the whole GUI? To me it seems to be a bit distracting when the GUI has to redraw itself every time you take a step.

Thanks, one note. Is there any way you can make the progress bars move without having to refresh the whole GUI? To me it seems to be a bit distracting when the GUI has to redraw itself every time you take a step.

yes I will, it was the first way I did things, but I saw really quick that it is not the most efficient way to do it but the good point was that it allowed to have the tooltip showing for the whole counter part

anyway, added to my TODO List

well, it means, walking around and count if the tool is right, if not, change the settings to be more precise and retry !

if while testing the number of steps counted is higher than the steps actually done, the interval value have to be set higher, if it is the opposite (measured steps lower that number of steps actually done) you have to set the interval to a lower number

Ok, gotcha. I think someone had posted the intervals they worked out on another tools thread. I will use those as reference points and see how it goes.

To quote ProfessorElderberry:

Walking: 255ms pause per step
Bike: 85ms pause per step

if walking is 1.0x speed, running is 1.5x speed and riding the bicycle is 2.0x speed.

well, on that, I'm going to need help ! as you can imagine English is not my primary language so why don't you send me via PM mistakes you can see ?

ON IT! GRAMMAR NAZI, GO!!!!!!!!

Very helpful but it would be nice to have a feature that auto-detects Eggs and adds a counter for you.

well, I'm sorry, but this is really not possible !

There is no way yet to communicate with the game, therefor, no way to know when a new egg is added, nor how much cycles it needs to hatch !

Flawed but brilliant, keep up the good work, the text is a little hard to read on the background though

Flawed ? can you explain why ? is it the count of steps, are they too high, too low ? or is it anything else ?

As you can see, not all of the buttons are showing up because the background is messed up. Therefor I can't personalize it to my hotkeys. Also the thingy in the top right corner, seems a little off, star thingy should be more to the right, shouldn't it?

I've tried re-downloading, running with win7 aero effects disabled, on different computer, all with the same outcome.

This is really annoying because I can't even test if the counters are a little off or anything :s

658sn5.png

toogle bike doesnt workk

I went into the same bug, restarted the soft and it worked ... I really have no idea where this is coming from ... when you ride, the little avatar is not on its bike is that it ? what about the speed of the counter ? is it going with the speed of walking or the speed of the bike ?

As you can see, not all of the buttons are showing up because the background is messed up. Therefor I can't personalize it to my hotkeys. Also the thingy in the top right corner, seems a little off, star thingy should be more to the right, shouldn't it?

I've tried re-downloading, running with win7 aero effects disabled, on different computer, all with the same outcome.

This is really annoying because I can't even test if the counters are a little off or anything :s

658sn5.png

WOAH ! I wasn't expecting that kind of comportment from my tool ... everything is graphically off ... are you using a software changing the size of the fonts ? some kind of magnifying glass software ? what is your resolution ? what does the counter creation panel looks like ? and once the counter is created, how does it look like ?

as a temporary fix, I think I can set the ENTER key to save the settings, and ESC to discard, but ... 

I only know one way it could have done that and it is if, as I said, you're using some kind of magnifying glass software because on my computer, the window is the same size, but all the text (and buttons) can fit ...

as you can see in the next picture, your  fonts have not the same size (circled with blue, how it should be, how it is on my computer, in red how it is on yours.)

flf3iw.png

anyway, I'll see what I can do !

Okay I solved it, your step counter seems to be working only with smaller 100% font. I had mine on medium because my screen is on my wall, hence it's far away so bigger text is more comfortable.

So windows text size settings must be like shown here: 

14b8f2t.png

I'll be testing out the counter now!

toogle bike doesnt workk

OK, I've been able to identify when it happens, but not why ... still have some digging to do !

-> it happens once a counter has been created, before that, it works fine !

EDIT : Ok I understood ! for thoses who uses the source, there is one simple change to do in the code, for the others, you'll have to wait until the next update !

what to do to set the code right ?

go to the file StepTracker.cs, line 42, and add

public StepTracker(StepCount stepCount)
        {
            gkh.unhook(); // <----- add this

pause = false;
            this.stepCount = stepCount;
Edited by StanFear

Okay so there are a few things I noticed:

1. After about 21 Cycles the counter was off by about 10-15% (hatched about 35 abras/ 7x21 cycles)

2. I can only use the arrow keys which I usually don't use. Assigning other hotkeys like WASD(qwerty) or ZQSD(azerty) don't seem to be working. (I use azerty)

3. Counter keeps counting whilst being immobile and walking into a wall. (not a big deal)

All counters I've seen, seem to be oriented around key pressing. Which is of course good enough if it's correctly adjusted.

This might be a stupid idea, or even impossible, but a step counter that uses the in-game grid & tiles would be way more accurate, wouldn't it?