Basic Forum Etiquette

Welcome to the PokeMMO forums!  If this is your first time participating on a forum read through this to see what is understood to be 'common courtesy'.  Even if you're an old hat at forums it never hurts to refresh your memory... These guidelines will help you have the best possible forum experience, and make other forum users much happier with you.

1. Always read the forum rules - both the overall rules and the subforum1 specific rules (they aren't always the same)
  2. Look at the pinned topics2 in the subforum - they may contain important information that is relevant to what you need.
  3. Post in the right section! Each subforum is meant for a specific thing, and has a description of what belongs in that subforum.                                                 
  4. Use meaningful thread titles and topic tags - they make it easier for people to see if what you're talking about is relevant to what they're looking for
  5. Use proper spelling and grammar.  Many users do not have English as a native language, but using the best English you can will make it easier for others to understand and converse with you.
  6. Try to avoid TYPING IN ALL CAPS, Typing In CamelCase or using excessive 1337 spk. Dis is hurd 2 understnd 4 sum ppl. SO IS THIS, And So Is This Not To Mention It Is Extremely Obnoxious
  7. If English isn't your native language, feel free to include a translation in your native tongue. If you're lucky someone will be able to understand you and help you that way
  8. Be civil. Don't get off topic or start attacking/arguing with someone in the middle of someone else's thread. If you have a disagreement take it to PMs.
  9. If a question has already been answered, don't answer it again just to get your post count up. Adding additional information or clarifying is fine, but don't post for the sake of posting
  10. Don't hijack someone's thread, especially in the Support subforum.  In some cases (all cases in the Support subforum) it is more appropriate to start your own thread than to interrupt someone else's.
  11. That being said, don't create unnecessary duplicate threads.  The search bar is a very useful tool.  Many questions/suggestions/bugs/problems have been found before, and taking the time to search will help keep the forums tidy.  If you need help with searching the forums (it can be a mess) check out this excellent guide by ProfessorElderberry.
  12. Don't bump3 ancient threads (usually). This means that if you're asking a question in General Discussion its probably better to first search for an answer, and if the older threads don't answer it for you then make a new one. That being said, if you're making a suggestion in the Suggestion Box then its better to search for an identical/similar suggestion and bump it, explaining your support, than to create an unnecessary additional post.
  13. Read the OP4 in its entirety before you post, and at least skim through the rest of the thread. This helps prevent repeating what someone else says and making sure that your post is relevant to the thread.
  14. Don't respond to spammers - it just makes a bigger mess for moderators to clean up
  15. Don't double post - use the edit button (found on the bottom right hand corner of your post).  Double posting is only acceptable under special circumstances (see the Trade Corner rules)
  16. Don't cross post (post the same message on several threads). This counts as spamming
  17. Don't spam. Its just obnoxious and will likely be removed anyway.
  18. When replying to a post, only quote what you need to (especially if they wrote an entire novel)
  19. Don't have an overly obnoxious signature - there is no text limit on them, but that doesn't mean you can write your life story there.  Also avoid using epilepsy inducing gifs.
  20. Don't post information that you want to remain private (username/passwords, birthdays, home address, email/phone/skype, etc etc).
  21. Don't be too mean to newbies who don't know what they're doing (unless they totally deserve it, then its ok) [spoiler] not srs[spoiler]ok maybe a little[/spoiler][/spoiler]
  22. Don't be afraid to PM a moderator and ask questions.  They'll all be happy to help you.  Its going to be easiest if you PM one of the moderators in charge of the subforum (found on the bottom right hand corner of the subforum), or a global moderator. These people will either be able to help you or point you in the right direction
  23. That being said, don't bother high level staff members unless its important. Administrators especially, and arguably Senior Game Masters, probably have better things to do.  Ask a lower level staff member first, and they'll direct you to contact one of those individuals if necessary.

PokeMMO specific Etiquette

1. Don't create unnecessary test5 posts - just PM a friend or make a valid post somewhere else.

Glossary

1. Subforum - the subsection of the forum that is designated for a certain topic or range of topics
  2. Pinned topics - threads that have been 'pinned' to the top of the subforum.  Normally threads will be displayed in order of most recent activity, however pinned threads will always be displayed above those. These are usually the 'more important' threads in a subforum.
  3. Bump - often seen as an acronym for 'bring up my post' it is the phrase used to describe a thread being 'bumped' from wherever it was on the subforum to the top of the subforum.  This is only appropriate in some situations
  4. OP - original post, the first post of a thread. Always read it before posting.
  5. test post - These are posts used to check the forum time vs your computer's time (relevant to tournaments)

Credits - thanks to all the random authors of other forum etiquette threads I borrowed from.

If you have any questions/comments/feedback let me know!

Edited by Dannnno

dude why aren't you a CM yet? did you run over squirtle's cat or something?

you'd have to ask the SGMs and Squirtle about staffing decisions, but thanks :L

[spoiler]it was his dog[spoiler]not srs[/spoiler][/spoiler]

Directly from Kudasai's 'About Me'

If you have any other questions, please click here to send me a personal message. I welcome event ideas and suggestions.

I'm pretty sure any SGM not named Kyu wouldn't mind answering a PM

[spoiler]And your missing text on every even numbered 'rule'. Was this intentional? IE no #2, 4, 6 etc[/spoiler]

Directly from Kudasai's 'About Me'

I'm pretty sure any SGM not named Kyu wouldn't mind answering a PM

[spoiler]And your missing text on every even numbered 'rule'. Was this intentional? IE no #2, 4, 6 etc[/spoiler]

Strangely enough, Kudasai has always been the hardest SGM for me to reach via PM. 

And that was a weird formatting error, it should be fixed now.

thought of another one.

1. If a question has already been answered, don't answer it again just to get your post count up. Adding additional information or clarifying is fine, but don't post for the sake of posting

Serious addition request.

If the details of an Official Event are unclear, check the Discussion Thread that is linked in the OP. If your question isn't answered there, then ask it there, leave the actual event threads for entries.

Sorry I missed this. I'll add some stuff that is PokeMMO specific.

EDIT: Also adding a bit about reading the OP in its entirety