SirAtlas

September of Senior Year

Me: Dude I need a really good show to watch

Friend: You should watch Avatar The Last Airbender

Me: Do I look like I'm 5 years old?

Friend: I'm telling you, it's a really good show

2am on a Saturday Night

*I go on netflix*

Me: You know what, I'll just see what this show is like...

That Monday

Me: Holy sh*t my ninja, this show is amazing

Difficult amount of time to estimate for fear of being judged by the PokeMMO community

Me: Well I just finished the series, I was so wrong about it being for kids.

Friend: Yeah, it's a great show, the new series is pretty good too, but it's much darker

Me: They have another series?

Friend: Yeah it's called The Legend of Korra

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ftLm52V1y0

Dopeness

Any other fans out there?

[spoiler]JAKE SULLY[/spoiler]

This is why no one likes you.

I don't know why your friend, or any other critic, says Korra is 'darker'. It may be a little less silly compared to Aang, but it's also more childish. I just got done with the entire series today and was sorely disappointed. Characters that were obviously being led into a trap just waltzed right in. Almost every single character is a poor re-hash - even the damn animals. The entire season takes place in a single city. Aang traveled around the entire world in a few episodes. I liked the modernization of everything, but it didn't have to have the horrible old-timey-America feel to it.

Also, the fact that bending progressed drastically faster in peacetime than war is total bullocks. Every fire bender seems to be able to shoot lightning, which was limited to three very superb benders in Aang. There's an entire division of government dedicated to metal bending, which was thought to be impossible 40 years ago.

Overall, it was a really shitty attempt at reviving the series. They should have stuck with the same characters (oh wait, they kind of did).

This is why no one likes you.

I don't know why your friend, or any other critic, says Korra is 'darker'. It may be a little less silly compared to Aang, but it's also more childish. I just got done with the entire series today and was sorely disappointed. Characters that were obviously being led into a trap just waltzed right in. Almost every single character is a poor re-hash - even the damn animals. The entire season takes place in a single city. Aang traveled around the entire world in a few episodes. I liked the modernization of everything, but it didn't have to have the horrible old-timey-America feel to it.

Also, the fact that bending progressed drastically faster in peacetime than war is total bullocks. Every fire bender seems to be able to shoot lightning, which was limited to three very superb benders in Aang. There's an entire division of government dedicated to metal bending, which was thought to be impossible 40 years ago.

Overall, it was a really shitty attempt at reviving the series. They should have stuck with the same characters (oh wait, they kind of did).

Korra was originally intended to be only 7 episodes and nothing more than that, I believe. That's mainly why the character development was lacking and why it feels rushed at times. But that being said, while Korra has its flaws, I found it to be an acceptable sequel to TLA, and I'm interested to see how the characters develop now that it's confirmed they'll be having more seasons to work with.

The advanced bending thing can be explained pretty easily. In the Promise and the Search (the two Avatar: TLA comics that explain what happened in between TLA and Korra), you see that characters like Toph starting up her metalbending school, which will most likely expand as time goes on and more and more Earthbenders are able to master metalbending. I'd imagine that the Fire Nation restricted the lightning technique to the masters in the royal family or military higher-ups (and with masters like Jeong-Jeong on the run, no one was able to teach the lightning art to anyone other than the royal family), but after Zuko takes over, that information is free and open for everyone to know. Zuko, Iroh, and Aang most likely teach and pass on the lightning and lightning redirect skills to other firebenders, and naturally, it becomes commonplace. I'd equate it with the rapid advancement of technology, in a way.

Hated the pro-bending and the 'romance' . Hopefully Book 2 will be better with the civil war.

• 4 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.