[Confirmed]Endgame PvE Content Concept - Dual Dungeons

ENDGAME PvE CONCEPT

This is a idea/suggestion towards adding end game PvE into the pokemmo world.  Albeit this is most likely an implementation that would take place much further in the future.

DUAL DUNGEONS

What is it?

The Dual Dungeon are instanced dungeons meant to be played with two players (and possibly more).  Essentially it is a several floor/area dungeon that has puzzles and such that can only be solved with two players.  The players would travel the dungeon solving the puzzles, while fighting wild doubles battles.

How do encounters work?

As the player walk around the map, they encounter wild pokemon like normal, except they are doubles battles and each player sends out one pokemon. Encounter rates would be lower than normal to balance the amount of encounters.

What's this about two players?

The Dual Dungeons system for the first time introduces actual team play with other players to take down pokemon and traverse the dungeons.  Puzzles can range from multiple buttons and weight plates to hard to reach places.  Of course these are just some examples, who knows what are talented game devs might come up with.  Both players will always be in the same areas.  If one of them walks through a door or falls in a pit hole both players will teleport to the connected area.

What's at the end of the dungeon?

Waiting at the end of these dungeons are challenging bosses, possibly legendaries.  No bag items will be usable in boss battles.  Some of these could even be like trainer fights; for example Mewtwo send out pokemon to fight you first, before you get to fight him in the end.  Or maybe it the boss at the end of the dungeon is a trainer?  "Was that Ash that just ran down that corridor?",  "Did that meowth just talk?!"

And the rewards?

Well first of the experience itself.  Who doesn't want the chance to go level with a buddy in a multi-player dungeon?  Next is the pokemon, this can be used to incorporate rare and unique pokemon, or pokemon with special moves or abilities.  "But hey, wait a minute you say!  What's a dungeon without treasure?"  and I say how right you are my friend.  Who knows what item filled pokeballs await you in these dungeons?

Please feel free to comment, question, add ideas or suggestions, likes or dislikes, ect.

That would be very fun, though I would suggest only going in with a good friend. HOWEVER I could see this abused. One person goes in with level 100s and brings their level 20-ish friend. Powerlevel gogogo!

Make it so the players would have to go in within level range of each other, and the dungeon levels are within that range.

As for the rewards, do both players get the same rewards to prevent fights, or something else? Maybe loot rolling or "pick one of two items" and the other player gets the other one (then trade who picks first)?

Same with captures in terms of legendaries. I honestly dont like that idea since players would just farm legends together (inb4CD). A boss trainer would be cool, then a bag of items/money.

Shiny encounter? I would hate to see one shiny pop up and well, a giant fight breaks out. Whoever captures it VS whoever KOs it to troll the other player.

This is easily a make or break deal for players. If something too rare pops up, only one player gets it. If it becomes too easy to get said rare items, the market crashes.

I'm gonna have to say... Great idea, but too much opportunity for players to abuse it.

That would be very fun, though I would suggest only going in with a good friend. HOWEVER I could see this abused. One person goes in with level 100s and brings their level 20-ish friend. Powerlevel gogogo!

Make it so the players would have to go in within level range of each other, and the dungeon levels are within that range.

As for the rewards, do both players get the same rewards to prevent fights, or something else? Maybe loot rolling or "pick one of two items" and the other player gets the other one (then trade who picks first)?

Same with captures in terms of legendaries. I honestly dont like that idea since players would just farm legends together (inb4CD). A boss trainer would be cool, then a bag of items/money.

Shiny encounter? I would hate to see one shiny pop up and well, a giant fight breaks out. Whoever captures it VS whoever KOs it to troll the other player.

This is easily a make or break deal for players. If something too rare pops up, only one player gets it. If it becomes too easy to get said rare items, the market crashes.

I'm gonna have to say... Great idea, but too much opportunity for players to abuse it.

Thanks for the feedback.  As far as the power leveling this would be endgame content, as so only people who have beaten the game can play it.  Onto the part about farming legendaries, these won't be catchable.  As you can not use bag items on the bosses you can not catch them.  This would go for if it was a legendary or not. The bosses are about the challenge, and not catching a rare pokemon. The items would most likely be just like a pokeball item in other areas, it is there for each player to pick up.  As far as the catching of wild pokemon goes.  It would be normal, either of the players could use a turn to throw a pokeball at a wild pokemon.  I tried to keep everything based of all the same core features and functions of the game.

The originality of this is proportionate to the amount of detail.

If you're going to make your "own take" on an idea, at least include more than a 1 minute write-up.

Thanks for the feedback.  I tried to keep it more direct and to the point,  Describing what it is and it's features.  Making it easy to understand and short.  And you'll have to explain the last part a little more to me.  Are you talking about the fact that this system is based of the double battle dungeons and areas in the later gens?  Which it is true that they were part of what got me thinking about this.  Or did you have a similar idea posted elsewhere?  If so I apologize I didn't see it.  I searched quite a few keywords, including all in my tag line plus more.  As they say, great minds think alike.  I could make it longer but I feel it appeals to the reader more because it is shorter, and more direct.  As well many features and details would be more dungeon specific and this is currently just about the general conceptual idea.  I will try to make it more detailed and flushed out though over time.

I'm talking about the fact that this has been suggested numerous times and duplicate suggestion threads are strongly discouraged. You added nothing to the idea and therefore should have shown your support on an existing thread.

Furthermore, it would be completely fine to have your own if you added something unique.

After some extensive research, I could not find previous threads on the subject. I assume they were trashed for being outdated or for some other reason. Carry on p.-

I love the concept, but what would happen if one of the two Pokemon in the encounter turned out to be shiny? If both players threw a master ball at it, who would catch it (Same with if both were to try and catch a rare)?

Would still like to see something like this implemented somewhere in the future though

;)

[spoiler]https://forums.pokemmo.eu/index.php?/topic/163-raids-and-dungeonspve/?hl=dungeon

[/spoiler]

[spoiler]you said you searched for the tags, well dungeon worked for me and dungeons should have also worked. Party would also have worked to see something similar to be honest[/spoiler]

This one I did see but it's so entirely different from my idea, this is in no way meant to be a raid design.  Just a simple 2 man adventure.

I love the concept, but what would happen if one of the two Pokemon in the encounter turned out to be shiny? If both players threw a master ball at it, who would catch it (Same with if both were to try and catch a rare)?

Would still like to see something like this implemented somewhere in the future though

Well, you pose a good question.  I would think the person the triggered the battle would have priority over item move, after all they were the one that triggered the shiny encounter.  If a player went to use a pokeball when the other player has bag priority it would display a warning before using the pokeball so you could cancel the action.  Im not entirely sure I hadn't quite thought about that one.

Well, you pose a good question.  I would think the person the triggered the battle would have priority over item move, after all they were the one that triggered the shiny encounter.  If a player went to use a pokeball when the other player has bag priority it would display a warning before using the pokeball so you could cancel the action.  Im not entirely sure I hadn't quite thought about that one.

I was thinking it could be based off of the Pokemon's speed (If Player 1 has Snorlax out and Player 2 has Pidgeot out, Player 2 would get bag priority), or even a dice roll, or it could follow Gen4 wild double battle mechanics and not let you catch them at all

I was thinking it could be based off of the Pokemon's speed (If Player 1 has Snorlax out and Player 2 has Pidgeot out, Player 2 would get bag priority), or even a dice roll, or it could follow Gen4 wild double battle mechanics and not let you catch them at all

The way I look at it though is like so - I have played pokemon since the original r/b.  Beaten every gen, and have never encountered a shiny.  I would be so disheartened to finally succeed a shiny roll and have it taken by another player.  Here in lies the problem.  

well u shouldnt make pokemon catchable there, too much room for drama when u have to cooperate with another person

This was actually my original idea, but I thought that people would not like that so much.  I was originally thinking that you couldn't use items at all in battle in the dungeons (you could only use bag items out of battle), to add challenge.  And there may be a special pokemon in a pokeball hidden in the dungeon somewhere, that way each players gets the pokemon.  The pokemon would be like other pokemon received this way, and only be obtainable once.

This system should not include shinies. Simple.

Yeah, I think you are very right on this.  These dungeons aren't meant to be for farming pokemon anyways, they are for challenging PvE experiences after beating the game.  I could see people doing these with a main and an alt simply to increase shiny chance.

• 2 years later...

Thank you all for your feedback and suggestions. We have decided on the mechanics that we will be using for the foreseeable future, and we will begin a trial run with our first Legendary during the next update.

During our internal discussions over the past few months, we decided what we wanted from Legendaries in our game:

• They should be rare.
  • It should be hard to get one, but not impossible for a persistent and skillful person.
  • They should be a unique mechanic to the game.
  • They shouldn't break PvP.

Unfortunately, not every legendary has been created equally. Some are flat better than others. With that being said, we have chosen two separate systems for Legendaries:

For weaker Legendaries, we will be creating instances in which players participate in very large, partially randomly created, uniquely designed per-legendary, dungeons in a PvE challenge. This will allow players to use these weaker legendaries in Matchmaking, Official Tournaments, and other "OU"-tier tournaments in the metagame. These types of legendaries can be obtained permanently, and duplicates will naturally occur in the overworld. Think: "Legendary" loot in any other MMO.

For stronger Legendaries, we recognised early on that unleashing these, even in small amounts, has the potential to destroy casual PvP and Matchmaking unless we put in harsh restrictions against their usage, making them unusable for normal play. We also realised that unless there were at least 8 "Uber" legendaries in the world at a point in time, not even a small tournament could be held for Uber tiers. This directly conflicts with our first goal (They should be rare) and turns these normally very powerful Pokémon into useless trophies.

While we initially considered the first mechanic design for these Uber legendaries, we ultimately decided against making them permanently acquirable. Instead, we rethought the concept of a legendary for PokeMMO, and began to focus on creating a temporary event around Uber Legendaries.

This concept lead us to create a global, PvP-based event centered around Ubers, the mechanics of which being:

• Certain Legendaries will spawn in their lore-friendly maps (for example, Mewtwo in Cerulean Cave) at a very low spawn rate, at a very high level.
  • Players who have acquired Legendaries will have their activity announced to the Server via the Server Announcements chat channel, in order to pinpoint where the current Legendary owner is.
  • Only one of each Legendary in this method of distribution may be found in the overworld at any given time. If the player is not in a Cave, their position will be broadcast to the world via the Town Map.
    • For example, there could not be two Mewtwo events occurring at the same time, but there could be a Mewtwo and a Deoxys event occurring at the same time.
  • These Legendaries come with pre-made builds with the Legendary's typing taken into account. Meaning: Moves, EVs, and static IVs have been assigned, and may not be changed for the duration of the event.
  • Capturing this Legendary will force the owner into a PvP mode, where they can not interact normally with other players for the duration of the Legendary's ownership. This restricts any form of PvE, Trading, and Discarding from occurring for the duration of the ownership. Teleports (Fly, Dig, Escape Ropes, etc.) are restricted to prevent fleeing the area quickly.
  • Ownership of these Legendaries are transferred to the victor of PvP battles. The owner of the Legendary must accept ALL incoming PvP battles, and will lose ownership if they are defeated. If a new owner's party is full, the Legendary will forcibly take Slot 6 in the Party, boxing the current resident. Players who have newly acquired the Legendary will have their party fully healed at the end of the match, ready for the next challenger.
  • These Legendaries will remain in the overworld for a limited period of time before releasing themselves into the Wild for other players to catch them. Players who log off while owning the Legendary will have it immediately released to the Wild.

We have not yet decided which legendaries will fall under each system, although they will almost assuredly be decided by strength of the Pokémon in the metagame. The first legendary that you will be seeing will be Mewtwo, under the second, PvP event-based, system.

It was confirmed that dungeons will be implemented in the future (although full details are not available).