controller

Question

it's been suggested before (https://forums.pokemmo.eu/index.php?/topic/5305-surrender-option/?hl=forfeit) but i'd like to present this idea again.

pros:

no extra time wasted in what seems like an unwinnable battle

no need to disconnect if something comes up irl that precludes you from finishing a battle that you started

potentially the text after a forfeit would read "[player that didn't forfeit] defeated [player that forfeited]!  so no potential draw.

cons:

potential forfeit button misclicks (could be avoided with an "are you sure?" text box)

people don't get to see their opponent's team be completely decimated (boohoo)

personally my big pain with this is that i play while i'm at work.  i play mostly friendly games and sometimes i'll have a customer come in i have to deal with for a few minutes.  that's not a long time by any means but it is in the context of a battle.  i'd rather forfeit then make my opponent wait for the afk button to appear.  i'd also rather forfeit than straight up disconnect because i don't want to have to log in again and potentially miss any team or whisper messages.  moreover, i have had painfully long battles that make me want to quit whether i think i can win or not.

i'm not a fan of the idea proposed in the previous thread of letting your opponent accept or reject your surrender.  if they chose to reject my surrender i'd just disconnect.

Running away from trainer battles = lame

I recently was in a casual battle where my shadow ball less snorlax was against a gengar and a heracross. The heracross was weakened, the gengar was not. I had the option of trying to pp stall the gengar to death and then get lucky on the heracross, or to give up. I chose to give up considering that this sort of match is pathetic, and the fact that I was driven there means that I lost (in my mind at least).  Unfortunately the only way to forfeit was to relog, which is a pain in the ass

TL;DR +1

I'm going to strongly suggest this be pushed for the next update. Here why:

Not everyone who is going after Mewtwo wants to catch it for bragging rights or asthetics. Some people, like me, are going for a 100% Pokedex, which would require the capturing of Mewtwo (or other 'strong' legendaries) at some point. Now if someone were to want to catch said Mewtwo, you'd need a heavily prepared team, seeing as it would easily rip through a casual player's team... And since you're fully healed after every battle with it in your inventory, the people who challange you will also have to muscle through your heavily prepared team, even if you just want it to be over so you can go back to your corner and marvel over your Pokedex count. This would also benefit people who are trying to get Mewtwo while it's in possesion of a completeionist because they can just hand it over instead of DCing (Which would force the people to RNG for it), and it speeds up the process of throwing a match with a stall-oriented team (Let's be realistic, you're not going to catch a Mewtwo with a Smeargle and a team of sweepers).

I'm going to strongly suggest this be pushed for the next update. Here why:

Not everyone who is going after Mewtwo wants to catch it for bragging rights or asthetics. Some people, like me, are going for a 100% Pokedex, which would require the capturing of Mewtwo (or other 'strong' legendaries) at some point. Now if someone were to want to catch said Mewtwo, you'd need a heavily prepared team, seeing as it would easily rip through a casual player's team... And since you're fully healed after every battle with it in your inventory, the people who challange you will also have to muscle through your heavily prepared team, even if you just want it to be over so you can go back to your corner and marvel over your Pokedex count. This would also benefit people who are trying to get Mewtwo while it's in possesion of a completeionist because they can just hand it over instead of DCing (Which would force the people to RNG for it), and it speeds up the process of throwing a match with a stall-oriented team (Let's be realistic, you're not going to catch a Mewtwo with a Smeargle and a team of sweepers).

I love everything you had to say here. But I think it would be a lot funnier to make people RNG for it anyways.

I think you could definitely add in a system of punishment for people who back out of TOO many battles, but sometimes I get challenged by guys with average level 30s, while I'm carrying a level 100 Alakazam. It's totally unfair to make them finish the fight. Let them back out, give me my win, everyone is happy since there's no XP gain from PVP

When I first started the game, I challenged a player in Viridian Forest unaware that it was an EV training spot. The person just completely wasted my time and his with his lv80-something recover/calm mind Alakazam. A forfeit button would certainly make peoples' lives easier.

It would also be nice if forfeiting didn't warp you to the PC, since despite losing the battle you're guaranteed to have at least one usable Pokemon. People still playing through the storyline might end up losing a lot of progress if they're forced back and lack fly.

Definite +1

When I first started the game, I challenged a player in Viridian Forest unaware that it was an EV training spot. The person just completely wasted my time and his with his lv80-something recover/calm mind Alakazam. A forfeit button would certainly make peoples' lives easier.

It would also be nice if forfeiting didn't warp you to the PC, since despite losing the battle you're guaranteed to have at least one usable Pokemon. People still playing through the storyline might end up losing a lot of progress if they're forced back and lack fly.

Definite +1

I'm one of those people, I change into my default original clothes and get a caterpie to follow me. top lel

On topic I still support this (see above). There are situations where forfeiting is the best/most honorable way to end it. Disconnecting/relogging is annoying and makes it look more like a ragequit, and just trying to stall them out always leaves me a bad taste in my mouth.

This is how it can be better..

You forfeit if both players agree to it.
For example, you forgot putting an item on your pokemon..or lets say you went into a duel accidently. . So instead of waiting for afk or reloading, you just click FORFEIT, and a message reaches the other player "Player X wants to forfeit, do you agree?"
Or something like that..

This is how it can be better..

You forfeit if both players agree to it.
For example, you forgot putting an item on your pokemon..or lets say you went into a duel accidently. . So instead of waiting for afk or reloading, you just click FORFEIT, and a message reaches the other player "Player X wants to forfeit, do you agree?"
Or something like that..

why? You don't need someone else's approval to lose.  This is silly, and would just make people DC instead, defeating the purpose of the system.

Agreed. Also there could be a feature of friendly quit (= tie?) in my opinion. For example both players are having a Curse-Recover Quagsire and both can't take the other one down (without crits). Assuming they have moves like Earthquake and Ancientpower - and when they have ran out of PP in Earthquake, they would just spam Curse or some useless move and neither one wants to swap pokemon for not losing the buffs and the match. In tournaments both of them would just get time clause DQd because neither one wants to claim to be defeated (by disconnecting). A new match could be started easily so people don't have to watch people just spamming useless moves, and neither one would lose the match.

Edit: I'm aware those "useless" move will run out of PP eventually, just thinking it's a more convenient way to settle it.

Disconnecting can make you seem like a rage-quitter / there are these annoying people who refuse to press the AFK timeout button even though you ask politely for it.

You should be allowed to end a game without showing the rest of your team to your opponent and every spectator.