PokeMMO Event Discussion: Psychological Warfare(July 20th)

is yawn still broken? and if you want the tournament not to take forever banning the ~insert VERY colorful language~ blissey would help.

No, and No.

6v6? Good.

Now get your fucking shit together on Lvl 100s and find a better sign-up method and you'll finally have everything in check.

You'd have to then hope the winner of day 1 can make it the next day. Not everyone can make multiple days.

However multi-day tournys are your best option.

chrischris for dev

I like this tourney, but I'd love it if it were 100s >.>

so this is just a 6v6 lvl 50 ou tourny ? not extra rules  o.O

That's right. Just a standard 6v6 OU tourney, no strings attached. The only thing different is the fact that I'm trying out finals being Best of 3.

Also, I've updated the tournament thread with Enigma Berries being banned due to a bug. 

That's the one part I don't like. The final matches can take like 30min this way.

And? What is wrong with the finals taking a little bit longer?

Unless you don't mind disconnecting during your match and being disqualified for it.

Unless you don't mind disconnecting during your match and being disqualified for it.

Another problem with BO3 is that it is somewhat inaccessible for players with fewer comps. Some people might compete but be at a disadvantage because they don't have the option of changing teams. There is a somewhat large pool of comps required to play 3 6v6 duels and still be somewhat unpredictable. Plus, why do we need BO3, really? I just don't see the incentive.

It's too long IMO it can essentialy mean 1-2 'rounds' more. But if the tourney runs fast and smooth I won't really have a problem with it.

Edit: and what Barrage said, why only give the finalists second chances and not make it double-elim, granted you would need more refs.

Another problem with BO3 is that it is somewhat inaccessible for players with fewer comps. Some people might compete but be at a disadvantage because they don't have the option of changing teams. There is a somewhat large pool of comps required to play 3 6v6 duels and still be somewhat unpredictable. Plus, why do we need BO3, really? I just don't see the incentive.

I originally came up with the idea for BO3 finals for 2 reasons: 1 being the fact that I've always strongly disliked the 1 match nature of grand finals, I dont feel like it's befitting the biggest match in the tournament, and the second reason was so that there wouldn't be another issue where a player disconnected during their match and got disqualified for it. With the BO3 system, if a player were to DC in their first match, (or second if they won the first), they would still be able to have a chance at winning, because lets be honest, nobody likes it when a player DCs during their GF match.

As for the supposed comp pool issue, whether or not a player comes prepared for a tournament is up to them. They can choose to run the same 6 comps for the rest of their PokeMMO career, or they can go out and increase their pool of pokemon for future tournaments where they're required to have a reasonable pool of Pokemon to choose from. Since this is the first time we're using the Best of 3 system, I can understand that some people would have an issue with their pokemon pools, and I can only ask that they bear with it, however in the future there is no excuse for unpreparedness.

also dont like the best of three. should be 1 duel, win and thats it no second chances for the loser

I don't see why, considering both players have the same amount of "chances"

Player X wins, player Y gets a second chance

Player Y wins, player X then gets a second chance.

Player X and Y then both get another chance.

I originally came up with the idea for BO3 finals for 2 reasons: 1 being the fact that I've always strongly disliked the 1 match nature of grand finals, I dont feel like it's befitting the biggest match in the tournament, and the second reason was so that there wouldn't be another issue where a player disconnected during their match and got disqualified for it. With the BO3 system, if a player were to DC in their first match, (or second if they won the first), they would still be able to have a chance at winning, because lets be honest, nobody likes it when a player DCs during their GF match.

While this is your tournament, I feel like it is somewhat self-indulgent of you to create a certain format 'because you just like that'. I apologize for sounding pretentious here. I appreciate that someone is taking the time to make an official 6v6 tournament -- that's awesome. But I just feel like there are more good reasons than not to forgo the BO3 finals things. Why is it only fair for the finalists to have the forgiveness of a BO3? If a player disconnects in their match for the rest of the tournament, they are disqualified. Perhaps that player would be more deserving to be in the finals than any other. If you want something like this, I would suggest double elimination. It is just time consuming and somewhat of an arbitrary decision on your part that just doesn't seem well reasoned to me.

I understand that it is selfish of me to do so for that reason, but I do also try to improve the competitive experience for the players when I make decisions like these. I did take Double Elimination into consideration, but since I have not tested the 6v6 waters for myself with as many refs as I have now, I didn't want to run the risk of the tournament taking an extremely long amount of time. I would suggest that best of 3 at least be given a chance before we shoot it down, if it does not work out, I may consider running double elim instead, however it depends on how much time this tournament takes, since other staff members may not have the time to ref a whole 6v6 double elim tournament.

Again, the reason why I cannot provide the other rounds the leisure of a BO3 is due to time. I felt that making Grand Finals a best of 3 would not only cut down on the influence RNG can have over a grand finals match(and the saltiness that comes with it), but also be a good way to address disconnection issues during a finals match.

I understand that it is selfish of me to do so for that reason, but I do also try to improve the competitive experience for the players when I make decisions like these. I did take Double Elimination into consideration, but since I have not tested the 6v6 waters for myself with as many refs as I have now, I didn't want to run the risk of the tournament taking an extremely long amount of time. I would suggest that best of 3 at least be given a chance before we shoot it down, if it does not work out, I may consider running double elim instead, however it depends on how much time this tournament takes, since other staff members may not have the time to ref a whole 6v6 double elim tournament.

Again, the reason why I cannot provide the other rounds the leisure of a BO3 is due to time. I felt that making Grand Finals a best of 3 would not only cut down on the influence RNG can have over a grand finals match(and the saltiness that comes with it), but also be a good way to address disconnection issues during a finals match.

I did not mean to imply that every round should have a BO3, apologies for the confusion. I think every round should either be single or double elim; no privileges given to finalists. I don't think finals require any special treatment. It just seems arbitrary that just because it's the finals, BO3 is instated to 'cut down on the influence of RNG'. There is limited RNG factor in 6v6. Furthermore, every round in a tournament is just as impactful as the finals are.

I get that, but I'm only applying it to finals for the time being due to the time issue.

We will find out how long this event takes, and depending on how long it is I will consider hosting 6v6 double elims in the future. This tournament is mostly a test run that I threw together while also giving the players the 6v6 OU they've been asking for.

The BO3 is mostly an answer to any unfortunate internet accidents that would occur during a finals match while not taking too much time. Plus, I think it will be fun to watch and the hype will be great.