Super Smash Brothers for 3DS and Wii U

iSmashbro

Pretty hype, if it lives up to what the trailer showed. Since it looks much faster paced than brawl, more like melee (Thank god) with end lag looking reduced and potentially a different "Advanced" technique as shown here:

[spoiler] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBUX-vemIvI [/spoiler]

It would be great if they had more techniques like this, reminiscent of techniques like wavedashing and SHFFL'ing. 

I was sleeping because I was up all night, hyped about the livestream. Will update, but it will be a pain on a Wii U

Edit: Apparently it would completely screw up the OP, so I'm just going to have to wait until I can use my computer again

Welp.

I'm buying a Wii U.

[color=white]This thread is bad and should still be in the E3 thread[/color]

Nothing is worth buying a Wii U for, especially not this.  You'd be better off spending less money on an old system and just getting one of the older ones which I am guessing you probably already have.

I don't think you understand.

I bought a Wii to play Super Smash Bros. Brawl. I understand that the common consensus is that Melee is better than Brawl, and possibly this game will be too. However the point is, I bought it for one game. My Wii is collecting dust and my PS3 is still being used.

I bought a Wii to play SSBB and my cousin's gamecube games, and the backwards compatibility made me use this machine much more than otherwise. PS will always be too overpriced and alien to me, as I never grew up with it.

You should buy both if you feel like you're able however, double trouble n' all that.

I bought a Wii to play SSBB and my cousin's gamecube games, and the backwards compatibility made me use this machine much more than otherwise. PS will always be too overpriced and alien to me, as I never grew up with it.

You should buy both if you feel like you're able however, double trouble n' all that.

I bought a PS3 because it had backwards compatibility (at the time) and it is the console of choice if I want to play RPGs. So instead of buying a console for one game, I bought it for one genre. I think that is the wiser decision to make.

• 4 weeks later...

Arguably not worth a bump, but Olimar was confirmed to be appearing in the new Super Smash Brothers. In the previous Super Smash Brothers, Omilar wasn't that bad as a character, and many have said it is because of the game's slow pace. Do you think he might drop in tiers? Maybe even get a buff? Discuss.

I think we're all in agreement that Melee is the superior game.  

I kind of got bored of Brawl with all the Final Smashes and lack of diversity of characters people choose to play as, even though there's more to choose from.

Also, there was no Dr. Mario.  I liked Ike in Brawl, but I could never find a character to replace Dr. Mario in my heart ;-;

For reasons covered in the Evo thread I, too, have a strong favour of Melee > Brawl.

I'm hoping three things for this game:

1) It's at least more competitive than Brawl (And optimally as good as Melee)

and dependent on 1:

2) The 3DS and Wii U versions function similarly enough that I can then practice for tourney play on the 3DS.

3) The online is lag-free to the extent where I can practice for tourney play online.

With Pikmin 3 it comes as no surprise to me that Olimar would be made available.

With gen 6 on the way it would be neat for the Pokemon trainer to have a new set of 'mangs

For reasons covered in the Evo thread I, too, have a strong favour of Melee > Brawl.

I'm hoping three things for this game:

1) It's at least more competitive than Brawl (And optimally as good as Melee)

and dependent on 1:

2) The 3DS and Wii U versions function similarly enough that I can then practice for tourney play on the 3DS.

3) The online is lag-free to the extent where I can practice for tourney play online.

With Pikmin 3 it comes as no surprise to me that Olimar would be made available.

With gen 6 on the way it would be neat for the Pokemon trainer to have a new set of 'mangs

Maybe I'm stupid, but I was wondering why is Melee more preferred as competitive than Brawl? Melee had a ton of infinite combos you could do and to me that wrecked the game. I guess they probably prevented players from doing that, but still was Brawl that bad? (Inb4 Meta Knight and Pit ruined the game).

Maybe I'm stupid, but I was wondering why is Melee more preferred as competitive than Brawl? Melee had a ton of infinite combos you could do and to me that wrecked the game. I guess they probably prevented players from doing that, but still was Brawl that bad? (Inb4 Meta Knight and Pit ruined the game).

Infinite combos? No.

Brawl took everything that made Melee competitive and ripped it out and threw in stupid shit (Advanced Tech like Wavedash removed entirely, everything suddenly slow and floaty, almost impossible to actually combo, final smashes, random tripping, nerfing previously good moves like the Fox's "shine")

And I'm not sure how you think Pit ruined Brawl.

Infinite combos? No.

Brawl took everything that made Melee competitive and ripped it out and threw in stupid shit (Advanced Tech like Wavedash removed entirely, everything suddenly slow and floaty, almost impossible to actually combo, final smashes, random tripping, nerfing previously good moves like the Fox's "shine")

And I'm not sure how you think Pit ruined Brawl.

Well at least I know Meta Knight did. Pits more a personal grudge because of his b side attack (AYAHAHEHHYAEH). I know it's stupid, but something about Pit doing that makes me want to kick a wall especially when said players do it for no reason.

Final smashes are an item based thing, not something that has to happen in game (unless you are losing THAT badly that they give you one). Random tripping better be removed next game and I wish there was an option to get rid of it. Wavedashing was something I think was unintendedly placed in in SSBM and probably why it was left out of Brawl. I am probably wrong about that though. Oh speaking of which did you hear of Project M for Super Smash Bros Brawl?

Anyways I still play N64 SSB the most because the challenge is in the old mechanics and small player roster.

I never understood why people liked Pit either.

Melee is a faster, more technical fighting game that requires you to have the reactions and control of a god in order to hold your own. Brawl is a slower-paced fighting game that is more lenient towards casual play and dominated by Meta Knight competitively,

The idea of Pokémon Trainer was cool, but in reality, it's a stupid character that could be used for someone more important like Zero. I'm thinking they will replace Lucario with some 6th gen 'fighter' Pokémon, possibly even Mewtwo's alternate form.

tripping

Don't even get me started...

I'd kill for good online play. I live in possibly one of the worst places in the United States to play Smash, and I don't want to travel 3 states just to practice.

Wavedashing was something I think was unintentionally placed in in SSBM and probably why it was left out of Brawl. I am probably wrong about that though.

It was confirmed in an interview that this was discovered during development, but was left in because they didn't see it being game-breaking. I'd also like to point out that wavedashing will more than likely never come back, mainly because it was caused by an air dodge system that was complete garbage. Brawl did screw up a lot, but the air dodges were actually pretty reliable, and made it so characters like Sheik could get back to the ground without Marth Up-Tilting her to death.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.