The Do-It-Yourself-ers Guide to Client Errors

Halvaard

This guide is meant for users who are confident in updating drivers, backing up files and general computer functions.
If you are unsure of how something works, please ask for help in The Support Forum. https://forums.pokemmo.eu/index.php?/forum/9-support/

Note: There are some things that updating and all this will not fix.
If your machine does not meet the system requirements, the game may perform poorly or not at all.

System Requirements:
[spoiler]
Operating System:

• Windows XP / Windows Vista / Windows 7 / Windows 8
  • OSX 10.6.8+ (Snow Leopard or greater)
  • Linux kernel 2.6.x+

All operating systems may be either 32-bit or 64-bit.

CPU: Intel Pentinum 4 x86 processor or later.
RAM: 192MB or more dedicated RAM.
Graphics: OpenGL 1.2+ compliant graphics card.
Display resolution: 1024x768 or higher.
Sound:

• ​Windows: DirectSound compatible sound card.
  • OSX: Core Audio compatible sound card.
  • Linux: ALSA, OSS, PortAudio, or PulseAudio compatible sound card.

Software Required:

Java builds may be either 32-bit or 64-bit. This does not affect performance in a noticeable way.
[/spoiler]

Some graphics cards are not able to utilize the version of OpenGL that PokeMMO requires.
Check here to see if your graphics card/gpu is on the Unsupported Hardware list. http://pokemmo.wikia.com/wiki/Unsupported_Hardware

Common Errors:
[spoiler]

• Could not find main class: com.pokeemu.client.Client. - Re-download the client and follow installation instructions. You are missing a file or you have put a file where it shouldn't be.
  • Pixel format not Accelerated - Indicates either an unsupported graphics card or out of date drivers. Update your drivers and make sure you are not running something on the UHL (linked above).
  •  Invalid Password - Your forum username/password is NOT your in-game username/password. Also, try resetting your password on the account page on the main website.
  • Error loading main_feed java.net.UnknownHostException: dl.dropbox.com - You must be able to access the website https://www.dropbox.com/ before you can play here as we host some client files from there. If you can not, you need to resolve the issue whether it be DNS, firewall, or something else on your end.
  • java.lang.OutOfMemoryError - For Windows users, create a file in your PokeMMO directory called PokeMMO.l4j.ini (same folder as PokeMMO.exe is in). In that file, put in the following:
    -Xms128M
    -Xmx512M
    Save and close the file and attempt to run the game again. You can modify these values a bit if you so wish. Xms = the minimum amount of memory the game can have. Xmx = the maximum amount of memory the game can have.

[/spoiler]

Easy Fixes:
Here are a couple easy fixes that come up often enough and don't take long to try.

• Make sure you have EXTRACTED PokeMMO from the Zip file you downloaded, it will not function properly if you fail to do this.
  • Move your entire PokeMMO folder to your "root folder". C:\Users\Docs\Someguy\PokeMMO\ >>  C:\PokeMMO\
  • Redownload the Client, and extract it to a freshly created folder. 
  • Make sure there aren't any accented characters in your folder names. ie C:\PokéMMO\
  • Remove all files in your "PokeMMO\rom" folder besides the roms themselves.
  • Make sure Java and PokeMMO are allowed through your firewall.
  • Try adding PokeMMO.exe (or it's entire folder) to your anti-virus's whitelist.
  • Make sure you have a stable internet connection, try http://www.speedtest.net/ to check your speed.

Slightly more Time Consuming Fixes:
These are still easy but they take longer.

Updated 6-3-13; Note about Zip FIles.

Edited by Halvaard
  • 5 months later...

im not confident in updating my graphics card. it might affect some Applications that i used often but i've been Dying to play this game.

My graphics card is indeed one of the unsupported hardware:   

• Intel® 965 Express Chipset Family.

any suggestions? i would download anything but i want all my files and programs to be just as it was. :( 

im not confident in updating my graphics card. it might affect some Applications that i used often but i've been Dying to play this game.

My graphics card is indeed one of the unsupported hardware:   

• Intel® 965 Express Chipset Family.

any suggestions? i would download anything but i want all my files and programs to be just as it was. :(

Try posting in support to see if they can help you.  Honestly it will probably be impossible for you to play due to your graphics card however.

• 8 months later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.