GenV Sturdy (ability)

ThinkNice

Question

Basically the ability: Sturdy is absolutely useless right now. The ability prevent that OHKO moves like: Horn Drill and Fissure OHKO your Pokemon. But these moves are already banned from every tournament (standard clauses), hence making the ability have no use. In gen V they made it that Sturdy functions like a Focus Sash preventing that a Pokemon can be brought from 100% HP to 0% HP. For example:

Rhydon (Sturdy) is in play and faces a Magneton with Hidden Power Grass, now this Grass move will with no doubt (assuming a reasonable power) bring down the Rhydon. But because Rhydon has Sturdy he hangs on with 1HP.
If the Pokemon with Sturdy was even slightly damaged, with Spikes for example, the ability doesn't work. Making it a balanced ability IMO. Only 100% - 0% is prevented.

Pros:
- Adds a little to the comp scene.
- Making the ability useful.

Cons:
- Ew gen V (??)
- Gen V mechanic in a, for now, gen III game.

Why should we not let Alakazam learn Explosion so your opponent can think twice about leaving Blissey in against it, or give Aerodactyl Focus Punch?

At least use real examples...

It's definitely not a priority, but I think it's a good idea. I'll write some more later~

I was actually thinking about this myself.  The only problem is that skarmory and other walls are already annoying enough as is.  Lets say for example, a player has out a skarmory.  They get one layer of spikes as I switch in my magneton, another as I bring them down to sturdy, and a final layer after their salac berry activates and they outspeed me.  This means that if they run a spin blocker, they'll have 3 layers of spikes up for most of the game, and there's nothing I can do about it.  The balancing effect of entry hazards don't apply here either, as skarmory is immune to spikes and we have no access to stealth rocks.  The real benefit this would offer is to walls, which are more than good enough already.

I was actually thinking about this myself.  The only problem is that skarmory and other walls are already annoying enough as is.  Lets say for example, a player has out a skarmory.  They get one layer of spikes as I switch in my magneton, another as I bring them down to sturdy, and a final layer after their salac berry activates and they outspeed me.  This means that if they run a spin blocker, they'll have 3 layers of spikes up for most of the game, and there's nothing I can do about it.  The balancing effect of entry hazards don't apply here either, as skarmory is immune to spikes and we have no access to stealth rocks.  The real benefit this would offer is to walls, which are more than good enough already.

This only applies if Skarmory hasn't taken any damage yet and is not running leftovers. Also this can be easily dealt with because Skarmory is a terrible salac user. Just hit it once with whatever poke you have out, switch to Magneton amd outspeed and kill it. 2 layers.

That was a poor example. Can Magneton even kill a Skarmory with one Tbolt? I know it's essentially fucked, but I'm pretty sure a strong competitive Skarmory is going to eat two Tbolts.

I'm more concerned with the fact that almost everything with Sturdy is immune to Sandstorm, which is one of the best ways to deal with it. 

That was a poor example. Can Magneton even kill a Skarmory with one Tbolt? I know it's essentially fucked, but I'm pretty sure a strong competitive Skarmory is going to eat two Tbolts.

STAB Bolt from 120base SpA, Magneton doesn't even need to invest.

Edit: sorry if my explanations are bad, writing from my phone :P

The salac idea was based off of the custap berry set that became common in gen 5.  Even if you disregard that, I don't really see it changing the game for the better.  Forretress could still tank a fire move and explode, skarmory could still tank a powerful special attack and whirlwind/get up an extra layer of spikes.  It's not a massive change and it's not going to make anything super op, I just think it's better the way it is now. 

STAB Bolt from 120base SpA, Magneton doesn't even need to invest.

Edit: sorry if my explanations are bad, writing from my phone :P

According to my calc, a Careful Skarmory (which is wildly stronger than Impish in our meta) will survive a Timid Magneton 252 SpA Thunderbolt, but barely get OHKO by a Modest one.

I'd rather keep it more of the gen 3 metagame where sturdy doesn't work like that. If that's the logic we use, then we might as well implement all gen 5 abilities and do the physical/special split now.

Personal opinion though.

Then don't ban the moves from tournaments.

According to my calc, a Careful Skarmory (which is wildly stronger than Impish in our meta) will survive a Timid Magneton 252 SpA Thunderbolt, but barely get OHKO by a Modest one.

Debatable, Careful Skarms won't like Cross Chops or Superpowers at all, but that's not the point of this thread, if it can survive with a Careful nature it does not differ from surviving with Sturdy.

(inb4 but salac skarm sweepzzz)

Well without Choice Band, I don't think Skarm has to worry much about neutral hits :s

The point was that it was a bad example, but not really since most Magneton will run a +SpA nature. So Sturdy would indeed help Skarmory, a bit.

I support it. It will give some pokemon a much needed edge in battles, and at the very least it's not an actual Focus Sash in that not just any pokemon can use it. It will certainly change the competitive scene, but not to the point that it will damage it.

Edit: A mod's post got deleted, noone will be spared!!!!!!

Shut up :S

Anyways, my opinion on this matter has changed from the time the topic was made, I am much more in favor of this than I was in '13, especially with a lot of things already having been shifted to later gen mechanics.

are there any other abilities that would need to be changed as well, for consistency's sake? I can't think of any that underwent the same transformation as sturdy over the years, but I could just be blanking

Oblivious pokemon are immune to taunt in later generations. Liquid ooze doesn't affect dream eater until gen 5. Lightning rod was already changed to increase special attack. Rough skin increased the damage from 1/16 to 1/8 but I'm not sure which one we have currently. I don't think there were any other changes.