[Confirmed]Raids and dungeons(PvE)

I know it's silly to talk about raids and dungeons when you can't even defeat Lt. Surge yet but hear me out on this.

First thing to do is to delete Mewtwo and other legendaries from the storyline. The legendaries are still registered in your Pokedex but you can't capture them. Another requirement is to have some sort of a party/raid system.

BOSSES

Second thing to do is to create small dungeons capable of holding 2-3 pokeymans. Each boss will fight parties of 10 Man at maximum. Each dungeon will have its bosses. For example Mewtwo and Mew go into the same dungeon, the birds get their own dungeon together with Fearow Ho-oh. Bosses should have crazy stats except speed, as they should be the last ones to attack in a turn. However they get to attack 2 or maybe 3 times in the same turn.

Now, bosses like Mewtwo, Mew or Ho-oh should be able to one-shot an average level 100 pokeyman while bosses like the 3 legendary birds should be able to two-shot them.

FIGHTS

As said before, the bosses will always be the last ones to attack, however they attack more than once in a turn. Each time they use a single target ability they choose a random pokemon between the 10 on the field and attack that one. Abilites like Surf and Earthquake will affect all party members. The boss may attack the same pokemon in a row, it's completely random. The bosses shouldn't be immune to statuses except Paralyze, Confusion and Sleep. This is what the fight should look like:

sample4k.jpg

LOOT

You may ask yourself, what may the loot be? Why the pokemon itself, of course. At 15%, 10% and 5% of the boss's HP, one random player in the party will get the chance to catch the boss. The battle screen will turn to normal for that player while for the others it will stay the same. If the player at 15% runs out of pokeballs without catching the boss, he won't be eligible for the random roll at 10%. If the player at 5% fails to catch the boss then the boss can only be killed and you won't be able to capture it.

Now I'm not saying you should start working on this immediately of course, but I think in a year - year and a half these tips will be useful.

Thank you for your time.

Things like this have already been talked about.

Legendary pokemon will not be catchable, and to get the pokedex entry there will be a instance with a long endurance challenge and will allow you to fight the legendary pokemon. At least that's what has been talked about so far.

I don't know how I feel about large raid groups in pokemon, remember this is a turn based game. It would be pretty chaotic and would create some major balancing issues to make it work correctly, like for example what if one person in your raid uses earthquake, will everyone be fucked over? Things like that.

Don't get me wrong I am not against the idea, it just does not seem practical in a turn based game like this, unless you restructure how the entire game works when it comes to moves and such.

I agree with you on the fact that it may be a little chaotic, but what if the devs made abilites like Surf or Earthquake only hit enemies?

Besides, I feel that making legendaries be available in 1-man dungeons will make them just too easy to get. Now, not only will 10-man raids require cooperation, only 1 out of 10 people will get the pokemon which will make it more valuable, legendary. I feel that seeing everybody running around with a Mewtwo would just destroy the concept of legendary.

That's exactly what I said, except what I meant by the instance is that you can fight the pokemon on your own for pokedex data, but you cant catch it. I completely agree that legendary pokemon should either be unobtainable or much harder to get than they are in the actual games.

I think that both ideas are very good, but we have to mix them.

A long, hard dungeon with the legendary in it's end, but capching it with a 10 ppl party, only 1 thing: i think that the dungeon has to have a time limit, and a delay to enter again, like... 1 week.

The worst part of a raid battle would be waiting for someone who .... OOOOPS mommy called me for dinner and makes about 20 people wait for them.

Bosses and dungeons could be something special.

could there not be something like idle mode for players who need to leave so it doesn't interrupt the rest and make them wait? lol

I think that both ideas are very good, but we have to mix them.

A long, hard dungeon with the legendary in it's end, but capching it with a 10 ppl party, only 1 thing: i think that the dungeon has to have a time limit, and a delay to enter again, like... 1 week.

I agree with the cooldown concept but I think that the time limit thing is too much. As others said, not every player lives on his own and as such there may be delays like dinner and stuff.

Okay, what if instead of 10 people, it was 2.

There's a guantlet where the two trainers have to double battle their way to the boss(s).

The boss has some buffs placed on it, like an automatic permanent swords dance and/or reflect.

No masterballs.

If someone has already caught the boss, they can't throw balls at it.

Once someone catches the boss, they get it, and the other person gets some good loot.

If both players have caught the boss, they both get loot.

If the boss is killed and one or both players have not caught the boss, both players get loot.

There's a once-per-day limit on a dungeon.

I'm probably missing a few things, but the gist should be there.

I like the idea of tag battle dungeons. You and your buddy each bring along your top three and crawl through a dungeon full of double battles. Two people teaming up in a pokemon game seems a lot more reasonable than ten.

• 1 month later...

What if the legendaries were "events" ?

Imagine this scenario:

Articuno plops down at Viridian Forest with 1,000,000 hp, and some other ridiculous stats. A la legendary dogs, each player that fights it drops its health down by that amount. After some hours, Articuno will just run away to its cave, but drop some goodies like the 10% boosting ice thing, berries, leftovers, and the sort.

Moreso, you could get money or items from the Pewter Museum for your invaluable insight into the legendary Pokemon. A quest type of thing.

The rewards you get will depend on the amount of damage you deal and how many turns you lasted. Newbies will be warned to stay away from the legendary.

Kytober

Posted 09 August 2012 - 12:47 AM

Okay, what if instead of 10 people, it was 2.

There's a guantlet where the two trainers have to double battle their way to the boss(s).

The boss has some buffs placed on it, like an automatic permanent swords dance and/or reflect.

No masterballs.

If someone has already caught the boss, they can't throw balls at it.

Once someone catches the boss, they get it, and the other person gets some good loot.

If both players have caught the boss, they both get loot.

If the boss is killed and one or both players have not caught the boss, both players get loot.

There's a once-per-day limit on a dungeon.

I'm probably missing a few things, but the gist should be there.

Sounds like a good idea to me, maybe some changing could be done.

Legendary pokemon will not be catchable, and to get the pokedex entry there will be a instance with a long endurance challenge and will allow you to fight the legendary pokemon. At least that's what has been talked about so far.

:/ That's silly. I'm all for making the legendary Pokemon more difficult to catch, but to bar them completely just seems to kill the spirit of Pokemon.

:/ That's silly. I'm all for making the legendary Pokemon more difficult to catch, but to bar them completely just seems to kill the spirit of Pokemon.

Pokemon~

Gotta get the pokedex entry for them all~

Nah, I agree, I think obtaining legendaires isn't all that big of a problem. If the staff wanted they could bar them from being used in trainer fights if that is the problem. I do understand thier reasoning though for them not being attainable to everyone. I don't really love the Legendary Pokemon all that much so it doesn't bother me.

Personally, I love that Legendaries are unavailable. They'd likely screw up the metagame, unless they were banned from competitive play, which they probably would.

Raids are a good idea, probably won't be implemented for quite a long, long time. But if it does, it'd be something pretty special and iconic of PokeMMO.

Loot alternatives would have to be maybe rare TM's. Moves from different generations possibly. A Masterball. Holdable items, like to evolve Scyther or Onix could be obtained only through these raids, giving players more incentive to go on the raids. Just ideas.

Also, you can totally beat Lt. Surge.

I've already suggested this idea numerous times. But this version of the idea is ludicrous and too much.

1 ) For a PokeRaid to even be considered "possible", you have to look at what game mechanics have already been done at the most; 3 Vs. 3 Battles are the biggest battle you can have in the games.

2 ) You would need to address a "Party System". But the maximum being only 3 Trainers in a Party.

3 ) Most MMOs also allow for individual Party members to run off and explore/battle on their own with the option of a friend suddenly coming up to help them finish them off. You can't do that in PokeMMO. Which would make it difficult to get around. The only way you could do so is every Battle before the PokeRaid's Final Encounter are for Trainers to individually battle by themselves. Primarily Wild Pokemon Battles (with uncatchable Pokemon). End of certain paths would end in 3 Vs. 3 Battles to advance further into the PokeRaid.

4 ) The Final Encounter itself, while logical to have it just be a single, very powerful Pokemon that has been augmented somehow, would probably have to be a variation of: 1 Single Over-Powered Pokemon & 2 Smaller Minions. Or 3 Evenly Powerful Pokemon. To have 3 Trainers battle just a single Pokemon would take away from the already established 3 Vs. 3 mechanic and would make coding a Hell of a lot easier.

5 ) Pertaining to the "what happens if someone leaves mid-Battle" problem. Instead of a cooldown system where it skips their turn, why not just have a randomization occur after 20 seconds where the game would choose 1 of that Trainer's Pokemon's moves at random to use?

6 ) How many Pokemon could a single Trainer bring with them? Logically, a single Trainer's team is 6 Pokemon maximum. In a battle, that's all you can carry. 3 Trainers in this sense would be 18 Pokemon which would be overwhelming. Instead, before each PokeRaid, have a PC beside the NPC that allows you to enter the instance where you can deposit 4 of your Pokemon, bringing only 2 with you.

3 Trainers x 2 Pokemon each = 6 Pokemon total. This way if one of your Pokemon faints, you can still have a back-up and not feel completely useless.

7 ) As for "Loot". Instead of giving some kind of PokeMMO-exclusive item or something overly powerful. And this is going to sound potentially impossible... Why not find a way to code in a whole new area in your Item Bag for "Avatar" and allow people to earn all 5 available colors for their Avatar (Red, Blue, Green, Cyan, Black)? But possibly piece by piece? Hat, shirt, shoes? You could have various combinations of colors on Players running around endgame which would make each Player look a little bit more different than everyone else.

Added fun? Have spriters create whole new color schemes for special times of the year like Christmas/Halloween/Easter/Summer/Winter/New Years/etc. that you can earn too?

7 ) As for "Loot". Instead of giving some kind of PokeMMO-exclusive item or something overly powerful. And this is going to sound potentially impossible... Why not find a way to code in a whole new area in your Item Bag for "Avatar" and allow people to earn all 5 available colors for their Avatar (Red, Blue, Green, Cyan, Black)? But possibly piece by piece? Hat, shirt, shoes? You could have various combinations of colors on Players running around endgame which would make each Player look a little bit more different than everyone else.

Probably the only way I would endorse this. I'm not too excited over this idea as a whole, but if it's some extra content once the game is established and the only reward is aesthetics, then I'm all for it.

Because the birds, gerbils, latios & latias, etc being allowed in OU screws up the metagame on Pokemon Online and in B/W matchmaking. >>

Primarily I only really meant Mew/Mewtwo. I'm not even considering Legendaries from Generation II onwards, that'll happen in time.

For me, personally, I just feeling like legendaries should remain legendary, as many have said before. As opposed to seeing 20 Zapdos sprites while running through Viridian.

Why not just make Legendary pokemon truly 'wild' even once they are caught? Even after you have the badge for 'pokemon of all levels will obey', if you use legendaries or Mewtwo you still get 'Articuno is loafing around...' or 'Mewtwo took a nap' 60% of the time.

Sure, they're super powerful and could give you an edge, but take away some of their reliabilty and that could balance everything out.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd go for making a Mistery Dungeon-esque PvE

as in: you send 1 or 2 pokemon of yours to the dungeon, then you control them and the other people do the same, then you go up/down until you reach the boss, then you get into some kind of lobby and form a party that is composed of 1-6 Pokemon in total

as for the movement, it should be mouse based, why? so everyone synchronices and take their turns accordingly (remember, 1 step = 1 turn)

Edited by SpadesMagnes