Brilliant Aura in Swarms

Michelle

Question

An overworld particle effect for swarm Pokemon, indicating if the Pokemon has 3x31 IVs or higher.
*Optional: Brilliant Aura Particle Effect for Pokemon caught in a swarm with natural 3x31 IVs or higher.

Pros:

1. Allow players that are late to a swarm to focus on a priority Pokemon should it have a brilliant aura. Players can be delayed massively by things like E4, Battle Tower, Tournaments, Events, or even just information about the swarm being relayed long after it started.
  2. Give additional reason for players to check on a swarm, even if it's something common like a Geodude swarm.
  3. A pseudo-shiny level of excitement, allowing for a 'new tier' of Pokemon encounters that enthuse players. (Normal -> Brilliant -> Shiny -> Super Shiny)

Cons:

1. Change of focus for some players when catching swarms, and ONLY checking for brilliant auras.
  2. A small increase in listed breeders, as mentioned before, common pokemon swarms would now likely be checked adamantly by some. (Possibly a pro, depending on the state of the economy)

Notes:

• No increases to encounter/spawn rates of 3x31 IVs or higher. Just a visual.
  • Only possible to have a brilliant aura if the species is registered in the OT Dex, though 3x31 IVs or higher is still possible without OT Dex, the pokemon would just not have a brilliant aura.
  • Shiny Rate is not increased for the species if a brilliant aura pokemon is caught. (Original mechanic concept, though it might be interesting to apply a shorter shiny charm-like buff)
  • Very slight decrease to catch chance. (Not sure about this myself, but it could serve to simulate the increased strength the pokemon would have with the visually pre-confirmed IVs)

Thanks for reading!

Edited by Michelle

4 answers to this question

4 minutes ago, Martirino said:

Might be a good idea to get the "Brilliant Aura" once the mons is caught, not a good one showing it to the mons while still in the swarm, imo. But overall good idea!

Could you elaborate on the reason why it's not good to show? Just genuinely curious if there's a negative impact I didn't consider.

8 minutes ago, Michelle said:

Could you elaborate on the reason why it's not good to show? Just genuinely curious if there's a negative impact I didn't consider.

Players might actually consider going in swarms just to look for those "Brilliant Aura" instead of trying to get catch em and see if their shiny or got good IV's, majority of players only go in swarms hoping for a shiny, making the Brilliant Aura seeable to every players might make them just to look for it instead of encountering the Swarm mons and catching em and thats the Thrill of getting good random IV's, so for me its a huge L to make them seeable and huge L for breeders in general because of these 3x31 IV's flooding the GTL.

On 6/16/2022 at 8:11 PM, Martirino said:

Players might actually consider going in swarms just to look for those "Brilliant Aura" instead of trying to get catch em and see if their shiny or got good IV's, majority of players only go in swarms hoping for a shiny, making the Brilliant Aura seeable to every players might make them just to look for it instead of encountering the Swarm mons and catching em and thats the Thrill of getting good random IV's, so for me its a huge L to make them seeable and huge L for breeders in general because of these 3x31 IV's flooding the GTL.

I see your angle, but I think you're assuming Brilliant Aura would be common. I would remind that 3x31 is a very rare encounter, and would make it difficult to have it as your only focus, and as you've pointed out, catching the entire swarm has it's own benefits. I'll also add that the rate of encountering Brilliant Aura Pokemon will be automatically lessened due to the fact that swarms are not always active, or even brought to anyone's attention. Not to mention needing an OT Dex registry.

For those reasons 3x31+ would not flood the GTL more than any other encounters, because the rates are actually far lower for chances to encounter. I understand enjoying the thrill of searching for random IVs, but that thrill doesn't leave, and the idea is to add a new thrill to those special encounters. Hope that clears some things up!

Edited by Michelle