(PCL) The PokeMMO Challenge League - General Thread

Should 1v1 played in bo3 ?  

53 members have voted

1. 1. Should 1v1 played in bo3 ?

unknown.png

(art made by Alaniz)

Welcome to the General Thread of the first season of PCL hosted by @Quinn010 and Co-Hosted by @xJoseee. The PokeMMO Challenge League (PCL) is a team-based event where the best competitors face each other weekly to claim a grand prize. Players will be auction-selected by one of six managers of the season and integrate a team that will aim to win the first PCL crown. Once the teams are formed, the competition begins.

There are two phases to the event: the regular season and the playoffs. Based on their performance during the regular round-robin season, each team will head into the playoff’s single elimination bracket with some advantages or disadvantages.

Each week, managers will submit a tier-based lineup of players that will face an opposing team’s lineup. The PCL tiers are: Random Battles, Monotype, 1v1, Untiered, VGC, Rotation Battles.

For the event to be successful, donations are required. If you are interested in supporting PCL , you can donate to the IGN: KowalskiW

Bolded terms and extra information are detailed below:

Host 

Spoiler

The host is allowed to participate in the event as a player. the host is not allowed to manage a team. The host will be helped by a Other Metagames council for certain decisions, activity decisions . the OM council also take auction regarding tiering if needed  bofore/during the tournament. In order to reach out to as many competitors as possible in our vast community, it would be ideal to have a host/small council that can speak multiple languages.

Hosts/Co-Host and Members of OM council:
@Quinn010(Host & 1v1 tier leader) English & Dutch
@xJoseee(Co-Host) Spanish & English
@Moi(Monotype tier leader) Spanish & English
@JeanMarc (VGC tier leader) 
@Lvkee(Rotation Battles tier leader) English
(still looking for untiered tier leader if you're intrested dm me on discord Quinn#1399)

Auction

Spoiler

The PCL Preseason Auction will be held on discord in a private channel. Only managers and the host will be allowed voice and typing capabilities. All others present will be muted and act only as spectators. The draft will occur after Player Sign-ups are completed. The time will be decided by all managers and the host to suit everyone's schedule. Unlike events like PSL there are no credits used for this draft, instead it will be conducted in a snake draft format, the order of teams being determined at random. The draft order will have been determined prior to the start of the draft, and teams will pick in this order. Each team will pick one player, until the final team is reached, after which the draft order reverses and the final team will now get the first pick for the next round, making this a Snake Draft. This process will repeat until every team has a total of 10 players, enough for 6 starters, 3 substitutes and a manager. Managers are asked to please have a predetermined list of players you intend to nominate in order to make the process go as quickly and seamlessly as possible. Each team will have 90 seconds per round to pick their player and if they exceed this limit their pick will be skipped, and they will get to make up for this after the next 5 picks (half a round). On this next attempt, they will have a 30 seconds timer to pick again. Should they fail to do so within the alloted time, they will have this particular pick added to the end of the draft.

Players 

Spoiler

You will respect your teammates and above all you will respect your manager. If you got drafted by a manager you don't like or want you will have to put these feelings aside. Signing up is like signing a contract, and these are conditions you have to accept. Disobeying your PCL duties will result in being banned from PCL. At any point of time the host can give you a warning or a restriction based on your behavior. Don’t act like an uguu and you should be fine. Trying to purposely evade matches, or not trying to get your match done for example can result in penalties. It’s impossible for the host to plan for every situation, its possible something will arise that won’t fall within the bounds of the rules. It is important to remember the final decision lies with the host, Coaching is not cool, but there is no way of preventing it. Streaming through discord and voice chat coaching is way too easy and accessible. If you coach or get coached, shame on you. Some players want to play by themselves and that's honorable, but for the sake of the competition they should know that their opponent might not be as honorable as they are and therefore prepare accordingly. Ghosting is not allowed. Anyone that gets caught being ghosted or ghosting will be banned from the event. Signing up on an alt is also not allowed unless you make sure everyone knows it's an alt. Anyone that gets caught signing up on an alt without revealing his/her real identity will be banned from the event. Do not expect the host or the small council to go on witch hunts unless there is overwhelming evidence of wrong doing. A screenshot of players in a voice channel on l is not overwhelming evidence for instance.

Managers 

Spoiler

are responsible for leading their teams on and off the field. They are responsible for drafting their teams, setting weekly rosters, ensuring their team follows the rules and communicating team information with the host. Players who wish to be considered for the six manager positions will sign up in the “Manager Registration” thread when posted. As managers will be allowed to play, the six managers selected by the host. More information regarding the role and responsibilities of a manager will be posted in the manager sign up thread. If the manager is at one point or another too busy to manage, he/she can select one of his/her player or ask a friend to take over his duties temporarily

Regular Season

Spoiler

six week round robin, each team will play every other team once.

A team will receive 3 points for a win, 1 point for a tie and 0 points for a loss.

Playoffs

Spoiler

4 teams face each other a regular seeded bracket.

There is a match for 3rd place.

In the event of a tie the teams will face off in a tiebreaker BO3 with Randoms + Manager Choice from both teams.

Tiers

Spoiler

All tiers that are played this PCL
1v1 :  is a Metagame where players choose a Pokémon that they believe is capable of defeating most—if not all—other Pokémon in a one-on-one situation. Players are allowed to bring a team of three Pokémon to the game but must select only one to battle with. So, while your team of three should be able to cover a wide variety of common threats, the Pokémon you send out must be able to beat any of your opponent's Pokémon, or at least the one you think they will use against you. 

Untiered : Is a metagame as defined in the Pokemmo Pokedex that bans all Pokémon from the upper tiers in OU, UU & NU

VGC : is The Pokémon Company International's official tournament series but played on pokemmo. This format is played as a Doubles Battle it only allows you to select 4 out of your 6 Pokémon to send into battle.

Monotype : Monotype is a format where all Pokémon on your team must share a common type. Both single- and dual-type Pokémon are allowed. For instance, Gengar is eligible for both mono-Ghost and mono-Poison teams. 

Random Battles : In Random Battles, in this format both players get a randomly generated team with premade sets. 

Losers Game : In this format, you win by losing! That is to say the win condition is changed from knocking out all of your opponent's Pokemon to winning by knocking all of yours out first.

Usage

Spoiler

Because the unofficial tiers has no automated usage gathering system, each match played  will need to be accompanied by a screenshot of the Team Preview. This gives us a small but better than nothing sample size for future tiering decisions.

The season schedule (subject to change):

Spoiler

14 July - 21 July: Manager Signups

16 July -29 July : Player Signups

30 July : Player Auction

Dontations

Spoiler

https://i.ppy.sh/c8447c5ce37eaa34ed393f537dda8099a4c5e161/68747470733a2f2f6f73752e7070792e73682f77696b692f696d616765732f7368617265642f63726f776e2d676f6c642e706e67  1st Place will get 75% of the prize pool & the title of the first edition Pokemmo Challange League

https://i.ppy.sh/d076465cfe8cbc9a6911417496c8a21efa7838c3/68747470733a2f2f6f73752e7070792e73682f77696b692f696d616765732f7368617265642f63726f776e2d73696c7665722e706e67  2nd Place will get 10% of the prize pool.

https://i.ppy.sh/b582c7211024aa1bbd35b1d75e4778b0bdf08836/68747470733a2f2f6f73752e7070792e73682f77696b692f696d616765732f7368617265642f63726f776e2d62726f6e7a652e706e67  3rd Place will get 5% of the prize pool.

https://i.ppy.sh/b582c7211024aa1bbd35b1d75e4778b0bdf08836/68747470733a2f2f6f73752e7070792e73682f77696b692f696d616765732f7368617265642f63726f776e2d62726f6e7a652e706e67  Individual prizes will take 10% of the prize pool.

Edited by Quinn010

Donations - IGN: KowalskiW

YettoDie $ 40,000,000

Xigbaar $ 5,000,000
Gunthug  $ 5,000,000

tMoi $ 4,200,000

QuinnW  $ 3,000,000
Poufilou  $ 2,000,000

lLatios $ 800,000

Tawla $500,000

Edstorm $300,000

Total : $ 60,800,000

Edited by Quinn010

PCL  Tiers explained + clauses 

1v1-banner-png.159591

Premise: 1v1  is a Metagame where players choose a Pokémon that they believe is capable of defeating most—if not all—other Pokémon in a one-on-one situation. Players are allowed to bring a team of three Pokémon to the game but must select only one to battle with. So, while your team of three should be able to cover a wide variety of common threats, the Pokémon you send out must be able to beat any of your opponent's Pokémon, or at least the one you think they will use against you.

Banlist:

Banned  Items: Focus Sash

Banned  Moves: Perish Song

Clauses:
Accuracy Moves Clause: A Pokémon may not have the moves Flash, Kinesis, Leaf Tornado, Mirror Shot, Mud Bomb, Mud-Slap, Muddy Water, Night Daze, Octazooka, Sand Attack, or Smokescreen in its moveset.
Evasion Moves Clause: A Pokémon may not have either Double Team or Minimize in its moveset.
OHKO Clause: A Pokémon may not have the moves Fissure, Guillotine, Horn Drill, or Sheer Cold in its moveset.
Species Clause: A player cannot have two Pokémon with the same Pokédex number on a team.
Swagger Clause: Players cannot use the move Swagger.

Timer Clause: No timer is needed

All Pokémon must be level 50.

6iUIQ75.png

Premise:
In this Format, you win by losing! That is to say the win condition is changed from knocking out all of your opponent's Pokemon to winning by knocking all of yours out first.
Pokemon in Loser's Gameare limited in how they are able to KO themselves, as spamming Memento or Healing Wish would become uncompetitive quickly and these moves are banned. Instead, Pokemon have to rely on indirect damage from effects like Black Sludge, Substitute, Belly Drum This leads to a ton of counter play with Taunt, Imprison, Trick, Heal Pulse, and more.

Rules:
Mechanic: First player to knock out 6 of their own Pokemon wins.

Banlist:

Banned Pokemon:

Shedinja

Banned Items:

Choice Scarf

Banned Moves:

Explosion

Memento

Healing Wish

Self Destruct

Final Gambit

Lunar Dance

Magic Room

Unbanned Moves:

OHKO Moves

Banned Abilities:

Infiltrator

Magic Guard

Clauses:

All Pokémon must be level 50

You must have a full team of 6 Pokemon

Family Clause: You can only use one Pokemon from their respective evolutionary line

image.png.b45c4e2cff7711413ac964b4554c1bae.png

Premise:

VGC is The Pokémon Company International's official tournament series but played on pokemmo. This format is played as a Doubles Battle it only allows you to select 4 out of your 6 Pokémon to send into battle. All games will be played in best out of 3 series with the 6 pokemon you brought. Since Pokemmo don't support VGC you need a PCL Host/Supervisor to play this format. Both players will be asked to link 6 pokemons to the host. When both players linked the 6 pokemon the host will announce the 6 public. The players then have 90 seconds to think what 4 mons they will bring to the battle. (important players can't change sets during the set you will play with the moveset + evs you showed to the PCL Host/Supervisor.)

Clauses:

Species Clause: A player cannot have two Pokémon with the same Pokédex number on a team.

Item Clause : no two Pokémon may hold the same item

All Pokémon must be level 50

1103013712_monnotypelogo.png.1f1a1e090b2a4936a26719b2bcb5d1cc.png

Premise

Monotype is a format where all Pokémon on your team must share a common type. Both single- and dual-type Pokémon are allowed. For instance, Gengar is eligible for both mono-Ghost and mono-Poison teams. 

Play Restrictions : 

All standard Official tier clauses apply, plus:

Same Type Clause: All Pokémon in a team must share a type.

Banned Items:

Bright Powder

Damp Rock

Focus Band

King's Rock

Lax Incense

Quick Claw

image.png.a6eea72c743b9ac31b9c39931811f7dd.png

Premise

In Random Battles, in this format both players get a randomly generated team with premade sets. 

Play Restrictions : 

All standard Official tier clauses apply

image.png.5d26ba1dad33329f1ee11d049e03dfaa.png

Premise

Untiered is a metagame as defined in the Pokemmo Pokedex that bans all Pokémon from the upper tiers in OU, UU & NU

Play Restrictions : 

Players cannot use Pokémon from the Uber tier, OU, UUBL, UU, NUBL, NU

All standard Official tier clauses apply

Edited by Quinn010
  • Quinn010 changed the title to (PCL) The PokeMMO Challenge League - General Thread
4 hours ago, Quinn010 said:

Rotation Battle : consists of three Pokémon outside of their Poké Balls, similar to a Triple Battle, but only one Pokémon can attack at a time. Unlike switching or moving positions in a Triple Battle, rotating Pokémon is a free action, meaning both players may rotate and attack in the same turn

Inb4 update still isn't here in August 

Will have some criteria to choose managers(and players), or will be first to claim(managers) and Auction(players)?

And, if want to do action, i have a suggest: Instead of allow any player to be registered on Draft, players will need to select a tier(or not)  and compete in a qualifing tournament in order to enter on Draft list. Number of players that will be on auction will be reduced to 54 and is secure that all players that worked hard to qualify and are on Draft list by right, will play. suffer to enter on Draft list, but if enter, your participation on PCL is certain.

And , this qualifing tournament can happen for now, during LCPL, in order to not interfer with their calendar if some change happen(We're still waiting the 10th anniversary event and devs don't give to us days to updates before events at least. They can appear literally at any time.).

Edited by caioxlive13

hey, thanks for the suggestions/questions! 

7 hours ago, caioxlive13 said:

Will have some criteria to choose managers(and players), 

The managers will be choosen in a voting system like last psl. i will judge players on their involvement in tournaments and trustworthy. 

or will be first to claim(managers) and Auction(players)?

Yes, this is a snake draft so there are no credits you just pick players instead.

Will have some criteria to choose managers(and players), or will be first to claim(managers) and Auction(players)?

And, if want to do action, i have a suggest: Instead of allow any player to be registered on Draft, players will need to select a tier(or not)  and compete in a qualifing tournament in order to enter on Draft list. Number of players that will be on auction will be reduced to 54 and is secure that all players that worked hard to qualify and are on Draft list by right, will play. suffer to enter on Draft list, but if enter, your participation on PCL is certain.

And , this qualifing tournament can happen for now, during LCPL, in order to not interfer with their calendar if some change happen(We're still waiting the 10th anniversary event and devs don't give to us days to updates before events at least. They can appear literally at any time.).

I was thinking about a qaulifying tournaments this idea is not bad. I saw on smogon this kind of tournaments also being hosted the problem is that it also discourage players from joining. not everyone have time to play qaulifying tournaments, timezones can be a issue and i also dont want to host like 20+ tournaments in 2months to let everyone qaulify. 

Edited by Quinn010
On 6/1/2022 at 5:02 AM, Quinn010 said:

hey, thanks for the suggestions/questions! 

The managers will be choosen in a voting system like last psl. i will judge players on their involvement in tournaments and trustworthy. 

Yes, this is a snake draft so there are no credits you just pick players instead.

I was thinking about a qaulifying tournaments this idea is not bad. I saw on smogon this kind of tournaments also being hosted the problem is that it also discourage players from joining. not everyone have time to play qaulifying tournaments, timezones can be a issue and i also dont want to host like 20+ tournaments in 2months to let everyone qaulify. 

I understand. And a question: Why 6 teams? Why not 7 Teams and a Rejects team(Team with rejecteds that other teams not picked up on draft.)

And a suggestion: For next editions, you can talk with PSL host and do this tournament at same time than PSL, with players that for some reason doesn't play on PSL(Don't be choosen, or simply registered on PCL and don't registered on PSL. ). Like a "Second Division" from PSL.

2 minutes ago, caioxlive13 said:

I understand. And a question: Why 6 teams? Why not 7 Teams and a Rejects team(Team with rejecteds that other teams not picked up on draft.)

And a suggestion: For next editions, you can talk with PSL host and do this tournament at same time than PSL, with players that for some reason doesn't play on PSL(Don't be choosen, or simply registered on PCL and don't registered on PSL. ). Like a "Second Division" from PSL.

There's pros and cons for having a team consisting of 'rejected players'.

Pros

• The players who weren't drafted still have an opportunity to cause an upset during the event and increase their chances of being picked in one of the main teams during the next edition

Cons

• In a sense you're basically rewarding failure. Although players will still need to be picked by the manager of the 'rejects' team, in a way it's showing complacency (e.g. Oh, I didn't get drafted but I know I'll still have a high chance of being able to play)

Personally I wouldn't have a team of 'rejected' players - the people who didn't get picked should take note that they need to work harder and improve themselves as a player before signing up to one of these events.

58 minutes ago, Imperial said:

There's pros and cons for having a team consisting of 'rejected players'.

Pros

• The players who weren't drafted still have an opportunity to cause an upset during the event and increase their chances of being picked in one of the main teams during the next edition

Cons

• In a sense you're basically rewarding failure. Although players will still need to be picked by the manager of the 'rejects' team, in a way it's showing complacency (e.g. Oh, I didn't get drafted but I know I'll still have a high chance of being able to play)

Personally I wouldn't have a team of 'rejected' players - the people who didn't get picked should take note that they need to work harder and improve themselves as a player before signing up to one of these events.

Or, manager can not choose a player because:

• He doesn't like the people, or people do some thing to him, and the manager blocked him.
  • Manager already have their preferencial list - A list of players that he will try to draft first to get their Line-up for major part of tournament.

And some players, because of second factor, can be drafted only to fill spots on benchs, and, because of this, ended not being used, or used on 1 week.

A rejected teams is good because the reason you sayed. Players that are medium rate(Veteran, but more close of 650 Elo than #100 Top Rank's Elo), but play well the tour can be choosed by one manager on next tour. They , in reject team, can show their name and start to enter on more championships being drafted. They will have value on this tours and managers will try to get him at all costs.

Edited by caioxlive13
9 hours ago, caioxlive13 said:

Or, manager can not choose a player because:

• He doesn't like the people, or people do some thing to him, and the manager blocked him.
  • Manager already have their preferential list - A list of players that he will try to draft first to get their Line-up for major part of tournament.

On your first point, yes some managers may dislike a player and vice versa, but

a) The whole point of the event is to put personal feelings aside and focus on the player's skill and attitude and 

b) If they are unable to do that, there are 5 other managers who may want to pick the player. The behaviour of the manager can't be controlled and it's ultimately up to the host to decide on who would be the best managers for the event.

On your second point, this isn't necessarily true. Of course some managers may have an idea of who they want based on previous form and experience, but there is still a chance that the players got drafted already, or someone can be a surprise pick. Remember there are unique formats unlike the traditional OU/UU/NU etc... so someone who may be very good at OU may not necessarily be good at Untiered. 

I still disagree with having a rejected team, but at the end of the day this event is more fun and gimmick so it probably doesn't really matter at the end of the day.

Edited by Imperial
2 hours ago, Imperial said:

On your first point, yes some managers may dislike a player and vice versa, but

a) The whole point of the event is to put personal feelings aside and focus on the player's skill and attitude and 

b) If they are unable to do that, there are 5 other managers who may want to pick the player. The behaviour of the manager can't be controlled and it's ultimately up to the host to decide on who would be the best managers for the event.

On your second point, this isn't necessarily true. Of course some managers may have an idea of who they want based on previous form and experience, but there is still a chance that the players got drafted already, or someone can be a surprise pick. Remember there are unique formats unlike the traditional OU/UU/NU etc... so someone who may be very good at OU may not necessarily be good at Untiered. 

I still disagree with having a rejected team, but at the end of the day this event is more fun and gimmick so it probably doesn't really matter at the end of the day.

Just because of being a event of Unofficial tiers is the reason that a "Rejected Team" is necessary. Because people don't know ability of others on those tiers, players that play well this tiers(Already compete on Unofficial Tours of those tiers) have chance of not being drafted and don't enter on tour. Adding this team increase chance of they compete

I have a question, how we will play VGC format in MMO? Because if you lose your 3rd mon, you only will be forced to enter with one of 2 mons that you didn't selected. 
And for 1v1, is better advice to players that Switching moves(Moves that allow you to switch after damage calc, or moves that force your oponent to switch) will be banned, because if someone change their mon, he are violating one of 1v1 Rules.