PvP category - Wild caught only

Glower

Question

5 answers to this question

I think this is more suited to tournament events with the stipulation that any Pokemon used must be caught in the wild. While I don't think this warrants it's own category by any means, it certainly wouldn't hurt to have a tickbox option. This could also serve to define competitive challengers & casual challengers, so if someone were to randomly challenge with 'Wild Caught Only' ticked, you might not be as intimidated to accept the battle while going about Story or other casual grinding.

I like the thought process of wanting to spice pvp with new stuff.

But I think adding new pvp categories that require farming is in general a double-edged move.

People almost never run out of OU comps to breed, let alone UU or NU. The grind is practically infinite, and they already have such a high bar to enter the comp scene.

So if a new category takes away grinding time from the primary formats on top of that, it's not necessarily the healthiest addition.

Good additional formats, imo, are the ones that do not require grinding at all, things like randoms, metronome cup, (arguably doubles where you can use your OU comps to an extent), monotype format, stab format, freaking--bandstorm, 1v1 ... you get the idea.

Reusing existing comps in new ways will breathe life into pvp, but making people grind more is not my recommended solution.

Not to mention catching wild pokemon with good ivs already has plenty of incentive, since they're used as breeding materials.

If you're still intent on this idea despite these criticisms, you could always try hosting an unofficial tournament with this ruleset and evaluate the community's reception to it.

31 minutes ago, Eggplant said:

But I think adding new pvp categories that require farming is in general a double-edged move.

People almost never run out of OU comps to breed, let alone UU or NU. The grind is practically infinite, and they already have such a high bar to enter the comp scene.

So if a new category takes away grinding time from the primary formats on top of that, it's not necessarily the healthiest addition.

Somehow true even if i really, really like the idea of having somewhat like a wild-caught only scene.

However, adding another actual bracket would be pointless. Already mentioned that randoms where too much to give UU and NU some time to breath and rise. 

But if people actually come up with tournaments here and there, minor events or whatever - i'd totally love the idea of having wild caught matches!

I've seen them in the past and do love the idea. I've been considering doing one but there's a lot of planning required. Also there's more moderation required with the checking of teams and the players have to put in quite a lot of effort so the reward must be worth it. Anyway, I have a lot of new/reused stuff coming soon so keep an eye out... I would love to pull one of these out though. Maybe

19 hours ago, Eggplant said:

I like the thought process of wanting to spice pvp with new stuff.

Good additional formats, imo, are the ones that do not require grinding at all, things like randoms, metronome cup, (arguably doubles where you can use your OU comps to an extent), monotype format, stab format, freaking--bandstorm, 1v1 ... you get the idea.

Reusing existing comps in new ways will breathe life into pvp, but making people grind more is not my recommended solution.

Not to mention catching wild pokemon with good ivs already has plenty of incentive, since they're used as breeding materials.

If you're still intent on this idea despite these criticisms, you could always try hosting an unofficial tournament with this ruleset and evaluate the community's reception to it.

Whenever I need some inspiration on events, I always check your old threads haha. One of the goats of fun and unique events.