Blitz timer format

Eggplant

Question

Pokemon is a bit like chess. You spend fifteen minutes thinking about the optimal move, and then your opponent does the same. Calculating every possibility in your mind to make sure your strategy is flawless.

And then there's blitz chess for the impatient people. I'm one of those guys.

That's why I suggest, in pokemon, blitz timer format!

10 seconds per move (and 30 seconds team preview).

I suggest adding this format as an additional "turn timer" type of parameter when sending a duel request.

Instead of turn timer "on/off" checkbox, there'd be a dropdown "none / standard / blitz".

This way, people can play OU regular, OU blitz, UU regular, UU blitz, etc...

I'm not necessarily suggesting a matchmaking queue for it -- i imagine we don't really want to split the playerbase into 10 different queues.

But adding support for blitz would allow for things such as, say, blitz tournaments.

Helpful for timezones where you tend to see 300 players sign up at the same time.

Or even maybe tweak tournament rules where, say, blitz timer for the first rounds, and standard timer for quarterfinals or semifinals onwards. Helps avoid six-hour tournaments.

Incidentally, after looking it up, turns out pokemon showdown also added blitz format back in 2019, so it's already a tested format. They have a queue for it for gen 8 OU and randoms.

"10 seconds per move" is the showdown ruleset, you're free to tweak it however you like as long as, you know, it makes a blitz format.

you could try things like "three minute time bank, and only regain 1 second per move" instead of whatever amount you currently gain. whatever is the least amount of work to code.

edit: also someone suggested something similar last week.

Edited by Eggplant

0 answers to this question

There have been no answers to this question yet