Let our actions actually have consequences in the pokemmo overworld

BrokenJoker

Question

Like if people over farm karps in one location the encounter rate of karps actually decreases. The opposite would happend if people dont hunt a poke in a specific area. 

This would actually encourage people to try farming pokes in different areas of the game. Areas they normally wouldnt go to.

If you're afraid karps would be over farmed and go extinct you could set like a minimum encounter rate which a poke's encounter rate doesnt go below no matter how much its farmed OR you could set a reset timer to change the encounter rates to normal after a specific period.

The minimum encounter rate should be significant enough to discourage people from farming the pokes anyway despite it being lowered. Same goes for the reset timer it shouldnt be so frequent people dont notice the encounter rate drop/increase.

3 answers to this question

Sounds like just adding inconveniences to get people to scatter.

I gotta say, I don't really see a huge benefit other than 'unpopular areas might see the light of day a couple more times', but the hindrances to the player are certainly obvious.

Is that really a worth tradeoff, to obstruct farming to this extent just to promote more obscure areas?

To play to the strengths of an MMO, I'd think it's more interesting to add mechanics to encourage many people to farm together, rather than split them up -- even if it's at the cost of the little pond around the isle six ruins never being visited.

3 hours ago, Eggplant said:

Sounds like just adding inconveniences to get people to scatter.

I gotta say, I don't really see a huge benefit other than 'unpopular areas might see the light of day a couple more times', but the hindrances to the player are certainly obvious.

Is that really a worth tradeoff, to obstruct farming to this extent just to promote more obscure areas?

To play to the strengths of an MMO, I'd think it's more interesting to add mechanics to encourage many people to farm together, rather than split them up -- even if it's at the cost of the little pond around the isle six ruins never being visited.

Thnks for the feedback. Its certainly a different perspective i didnt consider. 

There are other things they could do like for hatching eggs. Egg hatching could be made slower in snow areas compared to areas like the spar or in the volcano. Areas with more people can be made to have faster hatch times. Hatching times couple be faster during warmer seasons etcs