Need help with team-building direction

I made a post about how to start building a team and using the advice there, I have an idea of what my team looks like. I heard that having dark, psychic, and fighting on my team is safe to start off with, but I don't know where my team is going. Can anyone help with leading me to a direction? 

For example, should I replace lucario with mienshao(u-turn) since almost all my mons are special attackers? Is hydreigon a better dark type to use? What should my other 2 mons be?

What I have:

Milotic - Wall - Toxic/Dragon Tail/Recover

Ferrothorn - Wall - Stealth Rocks/LeechSeed

Dark/Fighting/Psychic

• Zoroark - U-turn/Nasty Plot (Dark) 
  • Lucario - Nasty Plot (Fighting)
  • ? (Psychic)

Last mon - ?

1 hour ago, jujii said:

I made a post about how to start building a team and using the advice there, I have an idea of what my team looks like. I heard that having dark, psychic, and fighting on my team is safe to start off with, but I don't know where my team is going. Can anyone help with leading me to a direction? 

For example, should I replace lucario with mienshao(u-turn) since almost all my mons are special attackers? Is hydreigon a better dark type to use? What should my other 2 mons be?

What I have:

Milotic - Wall - Toxic/Dragon Tail/Recover

Ferrothorn - Wall - Stealth Rocks/LeechSeed

Dark/Fighting/Psychic

• Zoroark - U-turn/Nasty Plot (Dark) 
  • Lucario - Nasty Plot (Fighting)
  • ? (Psychic)

Last mon - ?

Dark could be Hydreigon Instead of Zoroark
Lucario can be replaced with Mienshao or use a Physical/Mixed set.

Psychic , the only decent mon from OU is Reuniclus, but your team with this will be too defensive. Replace with Darmanitan instead.

You can replace Milotic and put a Chansey(with Wish/Protect/Heal Bell/Seismic Toss or Psywave) instead, to help Darma.

Last mon: Rotom(Wash or Mow), for Defoger.

Edited by caioxlive13
  • 2 months later...

In general, a good team for OU is one that:

- Has a pokémon with a stealth rock

- Has a pokémon with fast spin/defog to eliminate entry hazards

-Has a way to deal with rain and sand team (preferably sun too)

-Has some sort of way of dealing with TR teams

- Has a volt-breaker to prevent the opponent from playing comfortably with a volt-turn strategy

-Has some method to stop the stall

-It doesn't have any pokémon that destroys our entire team (at least not one meta)

You should see if your team meets all those requirements, if it does meet them, you will have a great start.

Another thing, teambuilding is based on coverage, what you say with dark + fighting + psychic is a core, and it is based on:

Dark covers Psychic from Ghost

Psychic covers Dark from Fighting

Fighting covers a bug psychic

And so there are quite a few more cores, like Steel + Dragon, Fire + Grass + Water, Ground + Electric + Flying, etc... For example, I see that in your team you have 3 weak to fighting, which is not good, and how The only cover would be a psychic, which would create an imbalance, and would mean that if your reuniclus were to be defeated, any type of fight could easily defeat you.

On 12/21/2021 at 11:27 PM, caioxlive13 said:

Dark could be Hydreigon Instead of Zoroark
Lucario can be replaced with Mienshao or use a Physical/Mixed set.

Psychic , the only decent mon from OU is Reuniclus, but your team with this will be too defensive. Replace with Darmanitan instead.

You can replace Milotic and put a Chansey(with Wish/Protect/Heal Bell/Seismic Toss or Psywave) instead, to help Darma.

Last mon: Rotom(Wash or Mow), for Defoger.

Well, it's better than the original build, but it's still inconsistent against Fighting type... If the goal is to build based on Psychic + Fighting + Dark, it would be better to start with a core of possibly Hydreigon + Conkeldurr + Starmie (To make a offensive core, the simplest to start a build in my opinion), and from there see what to put to cover the needs of that team, greetings :)

21 hours ago, DiosSlurpuff said:

Well, it's better than the original build, but it's still inconsistent against Fighting type... If the goal is to build based on Psychic + Fighting + Dark, it would be better to start with a core of possibly Hydreigon + Conkeldurr + Starmie (To make a offensive core, the simplest to start a build in my opinion), and from there see what to put to cover the needs of that team, greetings ?

I've complety forgotten starmie when i write this. Can be a useful offense option. However, chansey and Blissey can punish one if she don't have Psyshock on their set(If have, chansey and blissey will be punished if try to Toxic Stall him)