Improve Matcmaking System

caioxlive13

Matcmaking Balance  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Better Balance our opponents or not?

• Yes, that will be fair to all, but a balance on rewards, to make him better to High Ranks match will be considered.
    • No, I'm a Top Rank and i still want to earn my free Elo, free MM points and BPs.
  2. 2. Do you want a Seasonal Reward Path?

• Yes
    • No

Question

Some suggestions, that in my opinion , make MM better to play.
1° - Better Reward System

The MM Rewards system is currently quite strange (to say the least) and very meaningless. In the play below, I fell against Top Rank 40. I forfeited, as soon as I realized his strategy, since my chances were low(Clearly he will stall me with Blissey + Cofa + Rotom, and in this team i don't have a taunter, unlike now that my Hydreigon have taunt.). One of the problems I report is that the game seems to favor High Ladder players, who frequently stall/semi-stall, and there's no point in denying it, however this don't be the point of this suggest. The point I want to reach is: Look at the time of the match, and look at the number of turns. The match last 5 turns and 02 minutes. Why this match was eligible for rewards, and my matches against weaker elos that last much longer than this match, are they not eligible for Rewards? My suggestion here is implement a better reward system, that give rewards only if match reach above 10 turns and 06:00 minutes match.(How i know that match are ellegible for rewards? This match, i receive 150BP consolation prize. If i receive rewards, then my opponent receive too)

image.thumb.png.48a8ee64e9fb3d444557dd1272d5e2fc.png

2° - Balancing Opponents 

Now, a polemic point here, is the fact of game didn't have a system to balance our opponents. Some players will talk: "The game lets beginners pit themselves against experienced ones so they learn something about competitive."  The beginner simply taking those 6-0 in a row to Top Ranks will help him a lot.(IRONY)

The match above is another example that MM not balance opponents. I enter in matchmaking, running against the time to obtain the Tyranitar Gift reward. I had a 4-Win streak(All against low elo players) and the game put me against a 650+ elo. Ok. Then, next match, i, without any win streak, fall against this top rank 40.

My suggestion here is balance players, according with their elo. Example: Some people have 475 Elo. Then , MM will place him to face the player with the most closest elo possible, that are in waiting. And Not use Win streak with a critery to determine your opponent, because game cannot track the elo of players that you faced to earn all of those wins.

Balancing Features:

Your rewards after match will depend of medium elo beetween you and your opponent. 

Example: 

X is 250 BP
If you don't have any win streak and win a match:
Less than 450,00 Elo = Receive X rewards
450,01 to 550,00 Elo = Receive 1,5x  Rewards
550,01 to 650,00 Elo = Receive 2x Rewards 
More than 650,01 Elo = Receive 2.5x Rewards
Duel Beetween 2 top Ranks = Receive 3x Rewards

A win streak will apply a increase in your rewards, that depend of how many wins you get.

x is your number of wins, z is your rewards.

x < 2 = +0,2z
1 < x < 4 = +0,4z
3 < x < 6 = +0,8z
5 < x < 8 = +1,6z
7 < x = +2x

This will prevent Top Ranks from losing consecutive matchs only for reach on 450- elo anf get free wins.

Note: This will not apply to Randoms, since this tier depend of RNG to get good teams and Skill to use him.

3° - Matchmaking Seasonal Rewards Path

The suggestion is to add a Rewards Path, similar to the rewards that are changed every 14 days, but these would be for the Season.

How Would It Work?

It would be like the conventional way: People would have to collect Matchmaking Points to get the rewards. Rewards would be much better (Example Rewards: Pokemons with 3 or 4 selectable IVs, vitamin packs and even Master Ball, in addition to the exclusive hat), but to balance, you would need to collect each reward, at least 4x more Matchmaking Points than in Conventional path.

One thing that could be put to encourage the use of pokemons that so badly (In terms of usage) in Season, is that to get Matchmaking Points through missions, which mainly involve these pokemons. Example: Lucario is the Pokémon "OU"(UU's Ban List, cannot be Downgraded to UU.) of worst usage, so a mission would be: Deal 10000 damage in matches(Season Quest) using Lucario. Completing mission, make you get rewards. The rewards would have some items/Battle Points, in addition to a certain amount of Matchmaking Points to help complete the Rewards path (With this, the rewards path would be much more difficult to complete just by playing matches, and would have to complete some missions to be able to complete it. However, the rewards for completing it would be very good. ).

To help to complete this reward , will have 3 types of missions:

Daily Missions: Easy Missions, will reset each day, will not give too much Matchmaking Points, and more worse items
Week Missions: Medium Missions, will reset each week, gives a little more Matchmaking Points, and items a little better
Seasonal Missions: Hard Missions, will reset each season, gives a lot of Matchmaking Points and some good Items.

The think that can be made to incetivate players to play other tiers, is setup a rotation schedule of PvP Weekly rewards based on Tiers in order to motivate people to play tiers outside their "confort" zone and less played tiers...who knows?! They might like it!

January Week 1 OU Weekly Quest - Win 10 OU Ladder Matches of over 6 mins (so people don't just forfeit)
January Week 2 UU Weekly Quest - Win 10 UU Ladder Matches of over 6 mins 
January Week 3 NU Weekly Quest - Win 10 NU Ladder Matches of over 6 mins 
January Week 4 Dubs Weekly Quest - Win 10 Dubs Ladder Matches of over 6 mins 

And some fixed quests to do during seasons:

- OU Seasonal - Deal 10000 damage using Lucario.
Rewards: - 1x Lucario (Gift, Your choice of nature, Gender, 2 Egg Moves and 3x0-31 3x25) + 1250 Matchmaking Points 

- UU Seasonal - Use Roserade and win 5 matches
Rewards - 1x Vitamins Pack + 350 Matchmaking Points

You could scale these... Win 10 Matches get X Win 20 Matches get Y Win 30 Matches get Z
This would incentivize people to push further each week depending on their available time/taste for the specific format.

This method could also be used for Daily Quests albeit in a more toned down version and not scaled.

These would be fixed Daily Quests with fixed rewards. Bracers/Ability Pills/Vitamins/Everstones/PvP Items...things PvPers need on a regular basis. Make these untradable so as not to inflate/flood the market. This would help newer players get going and reduce the entry barrier.

Win 2 OU Matches
Win 2 UU Matches
Win 2 NU Matches
Win 2 Dubs Matches

But, a suggest is: Doesn't implement this reward path in Randoms, at least for now. This will help to revive some desert tiers(UU, NU and Doubles). The intent of this suggest is save that tiers. After some seasons of test, can be implemented in randoms(However with probablly:

- Daily missions only give Matchmaking Points
- Weekly missions give the rewards that are in daily missions for other tiers.
- Seasonal Missions cannot give a 3x31 mon, when in other tiers, can even give a 4x31.

This reduce of quality on Randoms Seasonal Path is just to what happen now(Randoms implemented, all tiers except OU becomes less likely to found matchs because less players play him) don't repeat again.)

Edited by caioxlive13

24 minutes ago, danhred said:

I mean this

Official Tier Policies

Tiering will continue to be usage-based, following a usage cycle of 3 months. In the first two months of the cycle, a Pokemon will need to be used at least 6.7% in a tier to move up or at most 1.7% in a tier to move down. In the third month of the cycle, a cut-off of 4.36% will be used for both upward and downward movements. Updates will be made to the three tiers at the beginning of every month depending on if Pokemon fall below or above the cut-off point. All official usage can be found in this thread.

eh... Pokemons only move up or down because low ladder is here to use the most confused strategys, since top ranks copypaste other top rank's teams, so with this, Can make control and even make a mon that are OP for tier below, get prevented to fall by usage again.

And this thread seriously need a Update. since, torkoal still UU and Darmanitan is considered BL1, when he have suficcient usage to be considered OU.

Edited by caioxlive13

I don't know how to explain myself well but what I want to get to is that the game should not affect what Pokémon to use in each tier. 
For example, if in one of the missions it says:
Win 50 battles with Lucario 
Reward:1250 points battle prizes 
this affects the use of other Pokémon to which this is effective as weawille would lower its use,
It would increase the use of dugtrio perhaps to enclose the Lucario and climb to OU

23 hours ago, danhred said:

don't know how to explain myself well but what I want to get to is that the game should not affect what Pokémon to use in each tier. 
For example, if in one of the missions it says:
Win 50 battles with Lucario 
Reward:1250 points battle prizes 
this affects the use of other Pokémon to which this is effective as weawille would lower its use,
It would increase the use of dugtrio perhaps to enclose the Lucario and climb to OU

1st - The weavile is barely used, I don't think it would make the situation worse, as it is already Weak for Conkeldurr and Infernape.
2nd - Dugtrio, he doesn't even know what he does in UU, and his Atk base has already returned to 100(The nerf he took was removed) and he became at least usable in OU, due to your high offense potential and Respectable Speed.
3rd - Not necessarily the pokemon that should be used in the quest, it's the same for everyone. It might even be for some dates, like Nidoqueen & Nidoking on Valentine's Day. The system could choose the pokemons based on their performance and the team the Player uses. Example: If he uses pokemons whose sets are more defensive, then the missions would involve much more using tactics and pokemons related to the offensive side. however, is like i sayed. People can if want, don't play the mission.

Edited by caioxlive13
Quoted Wrong Message, edit him

In the first poll I voted no because I think the pairings are fine, which you have to understand that if you are looking for a game in doubles or any other tier with few coincidences it is normal to touch you against a top for the lack of players

Also the pairing, by experience, works like this:
Let's say you are a character in OU and you start winning many battles you still do not reach the 550 of ELO you need to be cool but the system pairs you with players of higher ELO so that you have the opportunity to climb faster, because in the end you are interested in fighting against players who give you more points
If you fight a rookie your ELo will not go up much
Another case that has happened to me is that let's say you are veteran rank and you start to lose several battles in a row (bad day) the system begins to pair you with players of lower ELO maybe to make you come to reason or to give a chance to those of low rank I do not know if this is something that is really part of the system or only coincidences but still I think the matchmaking system is fine
And in the second poll yes, I think there should be a better route of recommendations with missions that make the pvp more fun and varied

21 hours ago, danhred said:

In the first poll I voted no because I think the pairings are fine, which you have to understand that if you are looking for a game in doubles or any other tier with few coincidences it is normal to touch you against a top for the lack of players

You're correct, however, in OU, that have more players, is too much common Top Ranks face Low Ladder players. Even if don't gave too much Elo, gave BP and Matchmaking Points if Top Rank, that will win in 90% of cases, make match have a great amount of turns. This is the reason that i talked: The most closest elo possible that are in Waiting, because in NU ,UU and DB, you will found top ranks with this balance or not, but the problem is OU, that have a high number of players and veterans facing Low Ladder constantly, make players from him give up for PvP. And if veteran are losing too much matchs, it's better that he stop playing and rest a while.

Also the pairing, by experience, works like this:
Let's say you are a character in OU and you start winning many battles you still do not reach the 550 of ELO you need to be cool but the system pairs you with players of higher ELO so that you have the opportunity to climb faster, because in the end you are interested in fighting against players who give you more points
If you fight a rookie your ELo will not go up much

And this is the point: If you are 550 Elo and face someone that have 450 elo, you will receive More Elo, than if you have 650 elo and face the same opponent, with same Elo. And about veterans, is more hard to win, so if you dont have experience, your wish is don't face one, especially if you play only 4fun. And for veterans, becomes good have the balancing, because he will complety avoid to face Low Ladder, except in low tiers. Then he will face more stronger opponents and earn more elo.

Another case that has happened to me is that let's say you are veteran rank and you start to lose several battles in a row (bad day) the system begins to pair you with players of lower ELO maybe to make you come to reason or to give a chance to those of low rank I do not know if this is something that is really part of the system or only coincidences but still I think the matchmaking system is fine

Like i sayed: If veteran are losing too much matchs, it's better that he stop playing and rest a while. Clorokina maked this, he are playing match and losing too much(he are 620-680 Elo), so he thinked a little and conclude that are better to him, to stop playing pvp and rest a while. And about giving Low ladder chance, Is like i sayed before: in 90% of cases, top rank will win. It's Rare someone make something like i did: Win 2 top ranks, while i'm in 550 Elo or below. Note: I don't reach in Veteran or Top Rank in any tier.

Edited by caioxlive13

Thread dead. Something need to change.

And explaining about the match i put in suggestion, because someone understand wrong. Is only a example. In this match, i forfeit with 5 turns and 2 minutes of match, and match is ellegible to rewards, while matchs against 550-650 Elo that use Ferrothorn, that ends in 9 turns(Because my opponent leave I setup for free +6 Atk with scizor, instead of switch to Volca/Chandelure, don't ask me the reason, but i sweep only clicking Bullet Punch) in most part, isn't ellegiible. And Matchmaking comes with excuse: "This match isn't elegible to Rewards because is too short." . This system i will not call rotten, however a update is necessary.

Edited by caioxlive13

Add the ability to create replays like in automated tournaments if its possible, will make the newer players learn and improve faster. I don't think u can solve low player counts of uu and nu unfortunately, more tournaments wouldn't help much and increasing rewards greatly for just those tiers would be weird and wouldn't even make a great difference i feel.

Matchmaking wise at least in ou i don't see any grand issues, i laddered from the bottom a few days ago and i got similar ranked players with a rare ranked player sprinkled in (i assume because there was no one else to match me at that time) once i ranked up to veteran the opposite happened i only played other veterans & lower ranked players with some bellow ranked players and high ranked players sprinkled in. That's how its supposed to work. I'd much rather have those odd "uneven" matchups sprinkled in every now and then matchmaking giving me no opponent or playing the same people over and over.

On 3/29/2022 at 7:24 AM, repposh said:

Add the ability to create replays like in automated tournaments if its possible, will make the newer players learn and improve faster. I don't think u can solve low player counts of uu and nu unfortunately, more tournaments wouldn't help much and increasing rewards greatly for just those tiers would be weird and wouldn't even make a great difference i feel.

Matchmaking wise at least in ou i don't see any grand issues, i laddered from the bottom a few days ago and i got similar ranked players with a rare ranked player sprinkled in (i assume because there was no one else to match me at that time) once i ranked up to veteran the opposite happened i only played other veterans & lower ranked players with some bellow ranked players and high ranked players sprinkled in. That's how its supposed to work. I'd much rather have those odd "uneven" matchups sprinkled in every now and then matchmaking giving me no opponent or playing the same people over and over.

While me face a top rank, even with my low elo, 3 times for each 5 matchs. Top ranks aren't on favor of this change because even if new players don't give too much elo, still give free BP and MM points.

Edited by caioxlive13