Improve Matcmaking System

caioxlive13

Matcmaking Balance  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Better Balance our opponents or not?

• Yes, that will be fair to all, but a balance on rewards, to make him better to High Ranks match will be considered.
    • No, I'm a Top Rank and i still want to earn my free Elo, free MM points and BPs.
  2. 2. Do you want a Seasonal Reward Path?

• Yes
    • No

Question

Some suggestions, that in my opinion , make MM better to play.
1° - Better Reward System

The MM Rewards system is currently quite strange (to say the least) and very meaningless. In the play below, I fell against Top Rank 40. I forfeited, as soon as I realized his strategy, since my chances were low(Clearly he will stall me with Blissey + Cofa + Rotom, and in this team i don't have a taunter, unlike now that my Hydreigon have taunt.). One of the problems I report is that the game seems to favor High Ladder players, who frequently stall/semi-stall, and there's no point in denying it, however this don't be the point of this suggest. The point I want to reach is: Look at the time of the match, and look at the number of turns. The match last 5 turns and 02 minutes. Why this match was eligible for rewards, and my matches against weaker elos that last much longer than this match, are they not eligible for Rewards? My suggestion here is implement a better reward system, that give rewards only if match reach above 10 turns and 06:00 minutes match.(How i know that match are ellegible for rewards? This match, i receive 150BP consolation prize. If i receive rewards, then my opponent receive too)

image.thumb.png.48a8ee64e9fb3d444557dd1272d5e2fc.png

2° - Balancing Opponents 

Now, a polemic point here, is the fact of game didn't have a system to balance our opponents. Some players will talk: "The game lets beginners pit themselves against experienced ones so they learn something about competitive."  The beginner simply taking those 6-0 in a row to Top Ranks will help him a lot.(IRONY)

The match above is another example that MM not balance opponents. I enter in matchmaking, running against the time to obtain the Tyranitar Gift reward. I had a 4-Win streak(All against low elo players) and the game put me against a 650+ elo. Ok. Then, next match, i, without any win streak, fall against this top rank 40.

My suggestion here is balance players, according with their elo. Example: Some people have 475 Elo. Then , MM will place him to face the player with the most closest elo possible, that are in waiting. And Not use Win streak with a critery to determine your opponent, because game cannot track the elo of players that you faced to earn all of those wins.

Balancing Features:

Your rewards after match will depend of medium elo beetween you and your opponent. 

Example: 

X is 250 BP
If you don't have any win streak and win a match:
Less than 450,00 Elo = Receive X rewards
450,01 to 550,00 Elo = Receive 1,5x  Rewards
550,01 to 650,00 Elo = Receive 2x Rewards 
More than 650,01 Elo = Receive 2.5x Rewards
Duel Beetween 2 top Ranks = Receive 3x Rewards

A win streak will apply a increase in your rewards, that depend of how many wins you get.

x is your number of wins, z is your rewards.

x < 2 = +0,2z
1 < x < 4 = +0,4z
3 < x < 6 = +0,8z
5 < x < 8 = +1,6z
7 < x = +2x

This will prevent Top Ranks from losing consecutive matchs only for reach on 450- elo anf get free wins.

Note: This will not apply to Randoms, since this tier depend of RNG to get good teams and Skill to use him.

3° - Matchmaking Seasonal Rewards Path

The suggestion is to add a Rewards Path, similar to the rewards that are changed every 14 days, but these would be for the Season.

How Would It Work?

It would be like the conventional way: People would have to collect Matchmaking Points to get the rewards. Rewards would be much better (Example Rewards: Pokemons with 3 or 4 selectable IVs, vitamin packs and even Master Ball, in addition to the exclusive hat), but to balance, you would need to collect each reward, at least 4x more Matchmaking Points than in Conventional path.

One thing that could be put to encourage the use of pokemons that so badly (In terms of usage) in Season, is that to get Matchmaking Points through missions, which mainly involve these pokemons. Example: Lucario is the Pokémon "OU"(UU's Ban List, cannot be Downgraded to UU.) of worst usage, so a mission would be: Deal 10000 damage in matches(Season Quest) using Lucario. Completing mission, make you get rewards. The rewards would have some items/Battle Points, in addition to a certain amount of Matchmaking Points to help complete the Rewards path (With this, the rewards path would be much more difficult to complete just by playing matches, and would have to complete some missions to be able to complete it. However, the rewards for completing it would be very good. ).

To help to complete this reward , will have 3 types of missions:

Daily Missions: Easy Missions, will reset each day, will not give too much Matchmaking Points, and more worse items
Week Missions: Medium Missions, will reset each week, gives a little more Matchmaking Points, and items a little better
Seasonal Missions: Hard Missions, will reset each season, gives a lot of Matchmaking Points and some good Items.

The think that can be made to incetivate players to play other tiers, is setup a rotation schedule of PvP Weekly rewards based on Tiers in order to motivate people to play tiers outside their "confort" zone and less played tiers...who knows?! They might like it!

January Week 1 OU Weekly Quest - Win 10 OU Ladder Matches of over 6 mins (so people don't just forfeit)
January Week 2 UU Weekly Quest - Win 10 UU Ladder Matches of over 6 mins 
January Week 3 NU Weekly Quest - Win 10 NU Ladder Matches of over 6 mins 
January Week 4 Dubs Weekly Quest - Win 10 Dubs Ladder Matches of over 6 mins 

And some fixed quests to do during seasons:

- OU Seasonal - Deal 10000 damage using Lucario.
Rewards: - 1x Lucario (Gift, Your choice of nature, Gender, 2 Egg Moves and 3x0-31 3x25) + 1250 Matchmaking Points 

- UU Seasonal - Use Roserade and win 5 matches
Rewards - 1x Vitamins Pack + 350 Matchmaking Points

You could scale these... Win 10 Matches get X Win 20 Matches get Y Win 30 Matches get Z
This would incentivize people to push further each week depending on their available time/taste for the specific format.

This method could also be used for Daily Quests albeit in a more toned down version and not scaled.

These would be fixed Daily Quests with fixed rewards. Bracers/Ability Pills/Vitamins/Everstones/PvP Items...things PvPers need on a regular basis. Make these untradable so as not to inflate/flood the market. This would help newer players get going and reduce the entry barrier.

Win 2 OU Matches
Win 2 UU Matches
Win 2 NU Matches
Win 2 Dubs Matches

But, a suggest is: Doesn't implement this reward path in Randoms, at least for now. This will help to revive some desert tiers(UU, NU and Doubles). The intent of this suggest is save that tiers. After some seasons of test, can be implemented in randoms(However with probablly:

- Daily missions only give Matchmaking Points
- Weekly missions give the rewards that are in daily missions for other tiers.
- Seasonal Missions cannot give a 3x31 mon, when in other tiers, can even give a 4x31.

This reduce of quality on Randoms Seasonal Path is just to what happen now(Randoms implemented, all tiers except OU becomes less likely to found matchs because less players play him) don't repeat again.)

Edited by caioxlive13

So you are playing with ambipom in OU facing a good player, instead of playing and trying to improve you ff in turn 5 and thought hey lets open up a thread and start crying about how broken stall is and that its unfair that i dont get any rewards ffing the match in turn 5.

About matchmaking: Maybe instead of writing this post, go ahead and google how matchmaking systems work. if you keep bashing low elo players the system will think you are better than the opponents it made you face the last matches, so normaly you will get a better one.

About rewards, yeah they are scuffed but we wont get anything better.

4 minutes ago, CaptnBaklava said:

So you are playing with ambipom in OU facing a good player, instead of playing and trying to improve you ff in turn 5 and thought hey lets open up a thread and start crying about how broken stall is and that its unfair that i dont get any rewards ffing the match in turn 5.

It's not even stall, his poor opponent probably wanted to run offense without getting smashed by rain and Conkeldurr so he had to use Cofa/Blissey. The fact that he apparently cannot break past those mons with his own (A Hydreigon, a Gengar, an Infernape and a Garchomp) is telling.

I disagree with OP, he has to be dragged out of 300 elo and matched with better players so he stops citing Chanseys switching into his Gengar to Toxic it or staying on Infernape in threads trying to have serious discussions.

1 hour ago, Shhhhh said:

Stall is silly. Shows you these players have no lives and will sacrifice their entire day for a few ELO points. It's actually pathetic and the reason I would never consider PVP in this game as it is inferior to other games and rampant with self proclaimed "high skill stall players".

Saying stall is silly because of time wasted is in itself a silly comment. It's like saying control decks in any sort of card game is silly because they waste more time then aggro decks. In any sort of PvP game there are  multiple types of strategies...aggressive strategies, balanced strategies, control strategies and then there are the so called "rogue" strategies. These sort of strategies are as diverse as the personalities of the players that use them. Just because you don't like it doesn't make it silly. 

As for the OP...

I agree with you in the part of the reward system and the creation of additional reward systems however complaining about the matchmaking system when multiple people accross the board have stated that we are in a low number state of affairs in PvP is naive at best...if there are fewer people playing overall then the matchmaking system will be forced to do less then ideal matches.

What can/should be discussed/proposed is new methods to incentivize PvP participation and ways to reduce entry barriers.

Using the "quest" idea I think that Daily/Weekly quests would be a good way of getting people started and interested in PvP.

For example:

Setup a rotation schedule of PvP Weekly rewards based on Tiers in order to motivate people to play tiers outside their "confort" zone and less played tiers...who knows?! They might like it!

January Week 1 OU Weekly Quest - Win 10 OU Ladder Matches of over 6 mins (so people don't just forfeit)

You could scale these... Win 10 Matches get X Win 20 Matches get Y Win 30 Matches get Z
This would incentivize people to push further each week depending on their available time/taste for the specific format.

This would also make it so that people were getting weekly rewards from PvP instead of just seasonal ones. These rewards should be setup to help people grow in PvP and not "farm" PvP as cash making method. 

This method could also be used for Daily Quests albeit in a more toned down version and not scaled.

These would be fixed Daily Quests with fixed rewards. Bracers/Ability Pills/Vitamins/Everstones/PvP Items...things PvPers need on a regular basis. Make these untradable so as not to inflate/flood the market. This would help newer players get going and reduce the entry barrier.

Win 2 OU Matches
Win 2 UU Matches
Win 2 NU Matches
Win 2 Dubs Matches

Additional quests/reward system can obviously be thought of...just the first thoughts out of my head...

Edited by Unnefable
4 hours ago, CaptnBaklava said:

This is not the topic of discussion, but about improvements. What's more, I just used this game to exemplify my point.

In the first suggestion, I used it to demonstrate how rotten the rewards system is, since in this match, the guy was entitled to rewards (so much so that I received the consolation prize, so the match was eligible) even though the match lasted 2 minutes, now when I play with guys who clearly use a team from history, and beat them, even though the match takes longer, the matchmaking doesn't give rewards and still comes with the excuse: "This match was not eligible for Matchmaking rewards for being too short."

And the second suggestion is to improve the balancing system to be similar to other games: In Low Ladder, anything would work, but as the guy gets higher ranks, he faces more difficult opponents, then he would notice that he/she would have to use strategy to keep climbing the ranks, and not dropping anything and praying for it to work.

4 hours ago, Unnefable said:

Saying stall is silly because of time wasted is in itself a silly comment. It's like saying control decks in any sort of card game is silly because they waste more time then aggro decks. In any sort of PvP game there are  multiple types of strategies...aggressive strategies, balanced strategies, control strategies and then there are the so called "rogue" strategies. These sort of strategies are as diverse as the personalities of the players that use them. Just because you don't like it doesn't make it silly. 

As for the OP...

I agree with you in the part of the reward system and the creation of additional reward systems however complaining about the matchmaking system when multiple people accross the board have stated that we are in a low number state of affairs in PvP is naive at best...if there are fewer people playing overall then the matchmaking system will be forced to do less then ideal matches.

What can/should be discussed/proposed is new methods to incentivize PvP participation and ways to reduce entry barriers.

Using the "quest" idea I think that Daily/Weekly quests would be a good way of getting people started and interested in PvP.

For example:

Setup a rotation schedule of PvP Weekly rewards based on Tiers in order to motivate people to play tiers outside their "confort" zone and less played tiers...who knows?! They might like it!

This would also make it so that people were getting weekly rewards from PvP instead of just seasonal ones. These rewards should be setup to help people grow in PvP and not "farm" PvP as cash making method. 

Win 2 OU Matches
Win 2 UU Matches
Win 2 NU Matches
Win 2 Dubs Matches

Additional quests/reward system can obviously be thought of...just the first thoughts out of my head...

About this, i will coment about your criticism.

- For example:

This can help, but like i sayed, fixes some quests for each tier and make something like:

- OU Seasonal - Deal 10000 damage using Lucario.

Rewards: - 1x Lucario (Gift, Your choice of nature, Gender, 2 Egg Moves and 3x0-31 3x25) + 1250 Matchmaking Points 

- UU Seasonal - Use Roserade and win 5 matches

Rewards - 1x Vitamins Pack + 350 Matchmaking Points

With this, incentivate more diversity in teams, than have in MM actually(I basically only found Cofa + Rotom + Chansey/Blissey, all of this with toxic, and when i don't face it, is a weird team that work, since player that uses it is in Professional, Veteran or Top Rank, but this is more rare. So, you don't found diversity and players throwing your coins in New Meta, and adding this mission it's more possible to you see something different in High Ladder Matchs), and some players to play low tiers, if both are implemented.

Win 2 OU Matches
Win 2 UU Matches
Win 2 NU Matches
Win 2 Dubs Matches

For daily quests, i Aggree to give  Bracers/Vitamins/Everstones/Tutor-Required items(Since he will need to breed much mons and makes sets for him to clear missions ) because are weaker prizes, and for daily missions it's fair to give weaker prizes, and leave better prizes to Seasonal or Weekly Missons, that naturally are hard.

- This would also make it so that people were getting weekly rewards from PvP instead of just seasonal ones. These rewards should be setup to help people grow in PvP and not "farm" PvP as cash making method. 

This suggestion is more to satisfy the more casual players in PvP, as there are players who use PvP to basically get cosmetics, the more serious and active in PvP, the ones who play for pure fun (these are more active in randoms) and the casual ones who play just like a way to farm BP, since in Battle Frontier it is a trash to farm BP, and the BP farm with legends, after the incident with the Brazilian team Toca, was nerfed

Edited by caioxlive13
15 hours ago, caioxlive13 said:

Suggest Updated!

Thanks to @Unnefablebecause he gives a excelent feedback, and their feedback is added in suggest.
(some players, however, only coment about match that i use as a example, and didn't give a useful feedback. If some moderator see this, please delete some posts.)

legit 99% of your comments r derailing

18 hours ago, LordCyber said:

Daily Quests would be nice to have ngl

Well, that would also help save some tiers and bring more people to PvP. Just so you can see the difficulty level of finding matches in low tiers:
I got in line to play in Matcmaking Doubles. I found a match against Incogniton(But its result is not the important thing) after seeing the message: "No suitable match was found for this round", like 5 or 6 times. 

It's no wonder that the top rank 100 of UU, NU and Doubles doesn't even have 600 Elo in the overall ranking. How will he find matches and have more than that?

Edited by caioxlive13
17 minutes ago, Imperial said:

This match was ez

unknown.png

- 1° : You lose 2 mons, so isn't too ez.
- 2° : Read again that i said: "I got in line to play in Matcmaking Doubles. I found a match against Incogniton(But its result is not the important thing) after seeing the message: "No suitable match was found for this round", like 5 or 6 times. " so, i don't enter to Play seriously, i play for test how much the low tiers is dead. Because this reason, i enter with anything that i have in hand in moment(Almost a OU team, only flareon is UT.)

42 minutes ago, caioxlive13 said:

- 1° : You lose 2 mons, so isn't too ez.
- 2° : Read again that i said: "I got in line to play in Matcmaking Doubles. I found a match against Incogniton(But its result is not the important thing) after seeing the message: "No suitable match was found for this round", like 5 or 6 times. " so, i don't enter to Play seriously, i play for test how much the low tiers is dead. Because this reason, i enter with anything that i have in hand in moment(Almost a OU team, only flareon is UT.)

Doubles has a much faster pace and more RNG can be involved, so of course you are more likely to faint a few Pokemon. It was too easy because I didn't even need to properly think about any of my moves, I could spam random buttons and still beat you easily.

You say the result is 'not the important thing', but if you had beaten me you would have spammed the screenshot and bragged like it made your life more fulfilling (since you seem to be obsessed about how far myself, Huargensy and other players reach in tournaments)

Here's an example of what I mean:

image.png.9aa14c7c31096ad5b4555bce58cddb91.png

Even if you played seriously in any tier you will never reach 550 ELO (Ace trainer rank), the matches I spectated you in you were losing to other novice trainers so don't use this as an excuse.

For the one time you did reach this rank last season, this isn't even a good accomplishment for OU considering how easy it is to find a game in ladder (majority being spammed rain teams).

unknown.png

13 minutes ago, danhred said:

He was not trying to compete in doubles but to see how long it took to find a match in that tier ?

You must either be in the same team as this person or you clearly don't know how much they've been trolling and derailing threads lately.

Edited by Imperial
39 minutes ago, caioxlive13 said:

i play for test how much the low tiers is dead

That is a big problem and it happens the same with UU and NU and it has happened worse, in Nu my favorite tier has taken me 20 minutes to find a game, most of the time I spend playing Random to be able to entertain myself

The tier are dead and that is a big problem, the suggestion of the missions seems to me a very good idea to fix it many problems of the game that becomes so boring and monotonous if you have been playing for a long time. Please add missions in both competitive and adventure

20 minutes ago, Imperial said:

You must either be in the same team as this person or you clearly don't know how much they've been trolling and derailing threads lately.

I only know him from the forum and it seems to me that people like you are the ones who are derailing the threads of the forum making comments like "this Match was ez" when that was not the idea when commenting on it, the problem is that the tier are dead and it is a problem apparently it does not affect you because with only 510 of ELo you can already enter the top of doubles that shame feel proud to be top in a tier dead

17 minutes ago, danhred said:

I only know him from the forum and it seems to me that people like you are the ones who are derailing the threads of the forum making comments like "this Match was ez" when that was not the idea when commenting on it, the problem is that the tier are dead and it is a problem apparently it does not affect you because with only 510 of ELo you can already enter the top of doubles that shame feel proud to be top in a tier dead

I agree about the lower tiers/formats being dead but it's only been 6 days since the new season began, what did you expect? 

35 minutes ago, Imperial said:

I agree about the lower tiers/formats being dead but it's only been 6 days since the new season began, what did you expect? 

The problem with MM is that the guys are very discouraged, so things have to be done to encourage the guys to play. Example, balancing and rewards. The rewards are for players to have an incentive to play PvP, and putting in a balancing system would make the low ladder more willing to play, as currently a novice player gives up the tier too soon because he loses to the top ranks he faces, and gets discouraged .
When you are a new player and you lose a lot in PvP, the chance of you giving up on PvP and even the game is high. So balancing, the new ones will be able to have fun and play against the guys of the same level in the game, besides making matches between Top Ranks happen more often, with diversity on teams that top ranks will use(Normally someones will use mons that need to use to complete certain missions) and not Cofa/Skarmory/Jelli/Hippowdon + Chansey/Blissey + Rotom in 90% of teams of top ranks and 650+ elo, giving to matchs, more emotion to assist , because we don't know which people will win, because both are using weird strategys. Weird, comparing to actual metagaming, because in future, this strategys can be commons.

Edited by caioxlive13
1 hour ago, Imperial said:

Since Random started the matches in Uu, Nu and doubles were seriously reduced, there is a link in this forum talking about it, so it is not something of the new season

Edited by danhred
I can't find it
1 hour ago, Imperial said:

For the one time you did reach this rank last season, this isn't even a good accomplishment for OU considering how easy it is to find a game in ladder (majority being spammed rain teams).

unknown.png

1° - You don't read all when i post this image in DC of MMO.
2° - Rain are the team that i have more trouble to deal with, actually

38 minutes ago, caioxlive13 said:

The problem with MM is that the guys are very discouraged, so things have to be done to encourage the guys to play. Example, balancing and rewards. The rewards are for players to have an incentive to play PvP, and putting in a balancing system would make the low ladder more willing to play, as currently a novice player gives up the tier too soon because he loses to the top ranks he faces, and gets discouraged .
When you are a new player and you lose a lot in PvP, the chance of you giving up on PvP and even the game is high. So balancing, the new ones will be able to have fun and play against the guys of the same level in the game, besides making matches between Top Ranks happen more often, with diversity on teams that top ranks will use(Normally someones will use mons that need to use to complete certain missions) and not Cofa/Skarmory/Jelli/Hippowdon + Chansey/Blissey + Rotom in 90% of teams of top ranks and 650+ elo, giving to matchs, more emotion to assist , because we don't know which people will win, because both are using weird strategys. Weird, comparing to actual metagaming, because in future, this strategys can be commons.

I don't agree with being forced to use a specific Pokémon in missions because that affects the changes in the tiers

18 minutes ago, danhred said:

I don't agree with being forced to use a specific Pokémon in missions because that affects the changes in the tiers

You can complete the mission or not, but is certain that players will prefer complete him, after all will hellp to complete seasonal reward path

Edited by caioxlive13
23 minutes ago, caioxlive13 said:

complete the mission or not, but is certain that players will prefer complete him, after all will hellp to complete seasonal reward path

I mean this

Official Tier Policies

Tiering will continue to be usage-based, following a usage cycle of 3 months. In the first two months of the cycle, a Pokemon will need to be used at least 6.7% in a tier to move up or at most 1.7% in a tier to move down. In the third month of the cycle, a cut-off of 4.36% will be used for both upward and downward movements. Updates will be made to the three tiers at the beginning of every month depending on if Pokemon fall below or above the cut-off point. All official usage can be found in this thread.