Upvote for Johto

concernedcitizen

Question

https://youtu.be/3R10XK7gMSo

In no way is this intended to belittle the existing achievements of this game and it's developers. I'm extremely grateful and proud of the job they've done so far, but I felt this post was necessary given the notions I've heard specifically from staff members that Johto is not worth implementing. 

To say Johto doesn't add much is to plead ignorance as to why this franchise became legendary in the first place. The setting, the characters, the music, the stories, the emotion- the first five generation games were built from a timeless archetype. These places have a feeling, an atmosphere, they mean something. Yes, it is definitely worth having as much of that as we can get! Otherwise, why not just delete all but one of the regions and inject the missing pokemon into the encounter tables? Why add any of the regions if simply making more pokemon available was the only requirement for viability? If it's just supposed to be an endgame pvp simulator, there are other game formats which already do that better. I would argue that most people don't care about PvP, a two hour story and new land to explore is their endgame.

An MMO is defined by it's vast regions, population, variety/depth of endgame activites, and motivation to participate in the preceding. I think PokeMMO is the best pokemon game running, literally what the vanilla game could be if its developers weren't tasked with selling consoles and overpriced merchandise rather than doing right by the game. Most of us already use a heart gold rom for sprites, meaning Johto is poised as the largest, most readily available, and feasible upgrade to this game. People ask about it all the time for a reason- I know there are a lot of jokes, but most of us actually have a genuine desire to see it implemented. Anything great is worth doing, MMOs require a lot of time invested by the player but they will hesitate to commit to something that feels incomplete. If I were a developer, I would want to finish the foundation before polishing the details, and Johto seems like the last missing piece of that foundation. Judgement upon what people do or do not engage with, what brings them in or retains them, remains obscured so long as the foundation remains unfinished. The first ten years have been extremely successful for this game and here's hoping the next ten push even further towards the realization of it's full potential.

Here are just a few things off the top of my head added by Johto:

• 50+ areas to encounter pokemon
  • 11 settlements
  • 8 gym leaders
  • Trainer tower/Battle Frontier
  • Apricorns/Ball Crafting (Heavy Ball, Lure Ball, Friend Ball, Love Ball, Level Ball, Fast Ball, Moon Ball)
  • Game Corner
  • Safari Zone
  • Whirlpool (New Ocarina)

1 answer to this question