[Video] Thought Processes and Mistake Review for PvP in PokeMMO

Gixmurgan

Hello everyone! This video is the beginning to my series for looking at my approach to PvP and attempting to improve myself while hopefully allowing anyone who is watching to also think through the battle and improve their decision making. My commentary will hopefully improve as well through this as I try here but probably internalized some thoughts which would have been useful to say out loud. There will be growth from here on. I hope this capturing of the learning process will be interesting and informative.

Hey there,

I think this is a really nice idea, but unfortunately I don't think 'Randoms' is a good example for this type of video as it's basically luck of the draw. Yes you need to still predict and make the correct plays, but a lot of it is out of your control compared to other tiers/formats.

When you have the resources, it would be good to see you doing this for tiers like OU, etc.

Anyway good luck and keep up the good work!

Edited by Imperial
16 minutes ago, Imperial said:

Hey there,

I think this is a really nice idea, but unfortunately I don't think 'Randoms' is a good example for this type of video as it's basically luck of the draw. Yes you need to still predict and make the correct plays, but a lot of it is out of your control compared to other tiers/formats.

When you have the resources, it would be good to see you doing this for tiers like OU, etc.

Anyway good luck and keep up the good work!

Certainly I will get there eventually. However as this series is intended as a means of going from start to finish in terms of PvP growth. I think this is a fine starting point.

The low barrier to entry means that any player can hop in and have an experience in PvP. They can begin developing their strategy within a battle before having to focus on the immense variables involved in choosing species, their abilities, their IVs, Their EVs, Their Natures, The Moves from the movepools, Understanding team comps, Knowing what moves will best fit the roles for their pokemon, etc.

Simply being in a battle, and looking back at the more balanced matches like this one where either party could win I think has a lot of value. What choices were made which affected the outcome of the battle? What moves were super good at helping or harming various strategies?

For instance in this fight the Heal Bell, Aromatherapy moves were super clutch.
Haze also shined brightly as a very good move.

These realizations that these moves, should they have a spot on a team, would be good to fit in is something I do not speak of directly (yet) but hope that by showing them off like this they will be considered for when one goes forward with actually building a team.

It is not a short journey to understand the reason for why Pokemon are built as they are. Some people might look at an OU meta vs meta and think the meta is stale because the same species of pokemon are being used... but fail to see that there is so much more on display than just the species. Most people would probably let others do the thinking for them and copy a build for a pokemon / team off the internet and hope it does well. Sometimes they might stumble into a victory and maybe they will learn how to pilot the mons a little bit. But I think those people will be burnt out super fast. So Having a series capturing the learning process from step one (which is hard for me to do since I have played pokemon for years and so therefore have quite a bit of the system memorized) is something I strive to do in order to help people learn along with me essentially. I think this will be good for the longevity of the game and health of the community if more people didn't skip the journey and take on the final boss immediately.

But yes, eventually I will dive into breeding, team building, and the rest. I will try to play in every tier. But randoms are where I am starting for now. There will be more foundations to PvP before I get there though. Join me for the journey? ?