Event Suggestions & Feedback

Strych

Question

As you all know, we enjoy running events. We try to come up with as many new and exciting ideas for them as we can, whilst also attempting to cater to our broad player-base.

Have we run a particular event that you'd like to see again? Perhaps one that you didn't like so much?
Do you have an idea for an event that you'd like to see happen? We're interested in your feedback and ideas, so feel free to post them in this thread.

Please keep ideas within the realm of possibility. I realise "if X is implemented, Y could be a great event", but lets try to work with what we have.

Note: This thread is for the discussion of official events (like those posted in PokeMMO Official Events).

Also. To whoever it was (I don't wanna go back and find who it was) that said the Shinies for the Masters Tournys are terrible and the gimmick Tournys are getting high end valued Shinies. Thank you. I'll come out and say I was a bit more than annoyed that I won a Shiny Spinarak and then less than a month later Shiny Starters/Eevees/One-Of-A-Kind Story Pokes started being given out for non-Masters Tournys. That was very frustrating for me and turned me off a bit from even playing. I ask for the Staff to re-think the way they pick Prizes for Tournys and not to randomize it anymore. Its clearly unfair. Create a list of common Shinies if you have to then randomize one from that list. Not the entire Pokedex as it seems that is what it is done currently. Though I could be incorrect.

fujimura's still crying about the shiny doduo he won on the first friday night fifties. rofl

I like the idea of opening the registration to a greater audience, without having to make them wait up till late night, or having them access the internet at work.  This is an idea I would to at least give a try on an official event, to see how it's received by the players. So I'd like to hear what you think as well.

"Registration would be open at 00:00 then locked at 23:59. All names entered would be given a number, then a random number generator would pick numbers until the bracket is full."

I think this way address pretty much address all the points you made except the locking thing, but hopefully if this method was used unlocking it a minute late wouldn't really make a difference. However, as pointed out to me by other an other staff member the drawing process is completely luck based, so people may not be a fan of that. 

I think I suggested this very thing awhile ago...

As it currently is, it's still luck based. Did you have free time on X day and Y time to sign up? Did you hit F5 at the right time and paste your post in fast enough?

A longer sign up period and assigning Tournament slots via RNG is much more fair than the whims of internet speeds and work/life scheduling.

In regards to that Battle of the Week suggestion that was posted earlier, I wouldn't mind doing one every week. How would matches be submitted? Sending me video files of your battles would make it easier to edit, but uploading replays to Youtube would make it a lot easier on my hard drive(and a lot easier to watch many videos). There should also be some kind of limit to the amount of videos one can send per week, I wouldn't want people flooding me with a ton of replays.

In regards to that Battle of the Week suggestion that was posted earlier, I wouldn't mind doing one every week. How would matches be submitted? Sending me video files of your battles would make it easier to edit, but uploading replays to Youtube would make it a lot easier on my hard drive(and a lot easier to watch many videos). There should also be some kind of limit to the amount of videos one can send per week, I wouldn't want people flooding me with a ton of replays.

I thought it was a good suggestion & I am looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

Shiny only tournaments would be a fun addition.  Most people just use their shinies to look at.  A fun little prize like a signature or hat would be nice.   I won't bs with some reason as to why its needed, but it would be interesting to see what type of metagame would form since people are restricted due to rarity. 

how about a tournament where you are given 4 lvl 1 pokemon from a list you can choose from and have to train them in the set time limit and then fight the tournament with those pokemon. they would be random iv and it would be "fair" because the winner would be who could train their pokemon the best in the time limit. the cm/gm running it could create a ton of lvl 1 pokemon or breed them ahead of time and you could check the OT before hand to make sure the players dont switch out for a better iv/already trained pokemon. the list could be from the OU list or whatever easiest.
also random egg moves on them would be cool

Edited by Patrick
Please use the Edit button instead of double posting.

I liked the 6v6 UU tournament Archinix hosted very much, it's far more enjoyable than 4v4 IMO, should be a monthly thing. It's not as much rock, paper and scissors anymore and you see that the 'good players' also usually get far in 6v6, unlike in 4v4 where you get screwd by RNG easier. Double Elim would be great but I understand that it would take a lot more dedication (as in better communication and more refs), so I could see that it would take more time before we get that. There is that something about not seeing Snorlax and Blissey that makes my heart pump in joy, UU4Life.

[spoiler]ps: ban amanu[/spoiler]

You know, I'd like to see some kind of Featherweight 50s, where only fully evolved species with base stat totals equal to or lesser than 300 are allowed.

...of course, there might not be enough of those, so dropping the fully evolved part may be necessary...

Either way, I don't have the motivation to host my own contest nor a prizeworthy... anything... so I'll just suggest one and hope for the mediocre :P

Well now we got that wonderful option to turn off overworld sprites (ZOMG SRS ITS SO GREAT) staff has decided to show their great and awesome ideas by not allowing people to change channels.

- Result --> everyone is scouting each other 24/7 ( Me personally believe this is not a part of any sort of ''skill'', apparently staff does because they are encouraging it badly )

Sorry that I dont like to change my team 70439832983942 times, even for a masters invite I refuse to do that

Now because there for sure wont be another update for another 5 months, so there is no real suggestion possible that will solve this problem on the short term, so for all the future events. Pls bring back the possibility to change channels or some other idea so people who dont wanna get scouted indeed won't get scouted. Because it is a big part of the game and if you do not realize, I rest my case

As far as I know there hasn't been any ''Abusive language strychnine!!!!!!'', so please don't lock the thread because it is something that concerns most competitive players. Because I know I will get a post ban pretty soon can people please like this post so my name will last forever in pokemmo history srs

lmao so this has to be posted here, a thread no1 ever looks in. so guess this won't be done anytime soon in the future. so sad, they just made the right of decision of 6v6 but then fuck up a big element of competitive play, people can say that I am MADDD and rant a lot, but yet I know I speak for a lot of people who disgust scouting. But apparently staff doesn't

It's sad that it happens, although in 6v6 scouting will have a lesser inmpact because you will have more balanced teams prepared for anything. I almost never switch the team I use in a tournament. And if I do it's just because I have 2-3 thought out teams I have to prevent giving my opponent the advantage through scouting. (Although for now I've only crafted one team and it is not even ready yet). So that would be my advice, for if they don't allow CC'ing. Have two or three teams that you can switvch around with, with different playstyles or priorities.

Still, I personally still find it sad that I have to pay attention to my battle log to see if my next opponent is spectating me (or a teammate for that matter).

Hi all ! I have a suggestion for event: Can you make the time of events in French please ?

Because I am French and I don't understand the time in english.

Thanks.

I have a time related problem as well due to time zones I miss almost all tournaments :(

I had a little idea. Most likely not the best and won't even be passed through, but it's worth a shot.

A writing contest.

People would have to write on a certain topic (could be pokémon or even irl(though I doubt the latter))

They could write in first person, their first day in the pogeyman world.

Just a suggestion.

Prize could be a pen/pencil on their back (like the backpack) or a book or something. ;0;

I'm horrible at explaining stuff so do forgive me.

I had a little idea. Most likely not the best and won't even be passed through, but it's worth a shot.

A writing contest.

People would have to write on a certain topic (could be pokémon or even irl(though I doubt the latter))

They could write in first person, their first day in the pogeyman world.

Just a suggestion.

Prize could be a pen/pencil on their back (like the backpack) or a book or something. ;0;

I'm horrible at explaining stuff so do forgive me.

https://forums.pokemmo.eu/index.php?/topic/27459-pokemmo-event-discussion-fall-gui-contest-august-10-20/?p=437858

I'm working on it. The sections i moderated sometimes have writing threads in i.e. origin story thread. Also i see a lot of RP people so i guess this would suit them too. I'll see what i can do about trying to get it out sometime later next month, no promises though.

https://forums.pokemmo.eu/index.php?/topic/27459-pokemmo-event-discussion-fall-gui-contest-august-10-20/?p=437858

I'm working on it. The sections i moderated sometimes have writing threads in i.e. origin story thread. Also i see a lot of RP people so i guess this would suit them too. I'll see what i can do about trying to get it out sometime later next month, no promises though.

Oh I see. I would love to help with the event. :3

how about a picture contest where people start to make thier own handmade or computer made pictures means no extracting from google or any other pic online downloads to make it fair and winner gets a lapras holding an ultra ball and an onix holding an ultraball or calcium

again i know there was one with x and y startes but it wont hurt to do a pokemon art contest for allll

You cannot really state the judging process is flawed if you do not know how it was conducted. Nor can someone who made a submission and did not place in the contest state it was flawed on grounds that they did not place. Again, I was not the host.

You just said in the previous posts it was based on personal preference therefore I know how the judging was evaluated. I don't even care at this point that my song didn't even place as I'm speaking out for everyone in this contest. No one here thinks it's reasonable how it was judged and for that this convo will be moved to event suggestions.

The suggestion is if there is another music contest there's going to be a better method of judging. Convo of this method will start now.

The last contest was focused on personal preference which is fair in a personal way. However, there is a way to judge without putting a lot of personal thoughts.

In a musical contest that involves more than one instrument it is evaluated on three main aspects: Lead, bass and beat. In the video game industry you want a very catchy lead as the marketing of VG music relies on people remembering a game for what it is and replaying it. Since this is a video game music contest you should be evaluating on whether there was a rememberable, catchy lead.

Next is bass. Now depending on the song the bass should be there to accompany the song. It should not overpower the lead unless it is the lead.

Finally is beat. The beat is what paces the song. If the song has a consistent beat for a consistent song that's good. Having it inconsistent will lose it marks as it changes the song in a bad way.

Other stuff to mention:
- Complexity does not make a better song and in fact it can ruin it. Same with simplicity. This is more a qualitative preference, however common consensus can find when someone over does it.
- Dynamics are important to any song. If you get loud or quiet for no reason that's bad. A lot of time when you judge music you should understand the reasoning to why some places are more softer or louder.