Event Suggestions & Feedback

Strych

Question

As you all know, we enjoy running events. We try to come up with as many new and exciting ideas for them as we can, whilst also attempting to cater to our broad player-base.

Have we run a particular event that you'd like to see again? Perhaps one that you didn't like so much?
Do you have an idea for an event that you'd like to see happen? We're interested in your feedback and ideas, so feel free to post them in this thread.

Please keep ideas within the realm of possibility. I realise "if X is implemented, Y could be a great event", but lets try to work with what we have.

Note: This thread is for the discussion of official events (like those posted in PokeMMO Official Events).

2 hours ago, Raederz said:

Aren't qualifiers worth to play ?

Qualifiers aren't attractive to everyone, especially when they include a tier that is new and likely not well established and another that isn't the most played throughout the community. Not everyone is willing to commit their time to building for every tier in this game, especially when the immediate prize isn't that worthwhile. 

EDIT: Imo, it's not appropriate to have two tournament series with qualifiers overlapping one another as it restricts other tournaments from being held. 

Edited by DoubleJ

Qualifiers are worth playing but the problem is once you win one you then need to wait forever for the finals, up to 2 months for those who win in week 1. Needless to say waiting 2 months to play again is incredibly boring and with the lack of standard officials there really isn't much reason to ever play in community combat since you risk being scouted for not much of a reward. These things combined only encourage the people who already have invites to coach others since there really isn't anything else for them to do for a very long period of time. This is why Qualifiers should not replace standard officials.

As far as community combat goes its a nice system to allow more people to play and give more people competitive experience. But with the fluctuation time zones and low prizes its clear these are far from generating the hype that standard officials replace. A lot of people alter their schedules slightly to make room for playing in officials and I can't imagine anyone ever doing this for the community combat. Community combat is a type of automated tournament which primary function is to fill peoples time and to help people of other time zones play in more tournaments, again this should in no way be compared or replace standard tournaments.

If the problem with the lack of shinys are restricted mostly by having a 6 month cooldown between being able to reuse the shinys and also restricted by not being able to give out comps that require hidden power then please can you lower the cooldown from 6 to 4 months. IMO the entire shiny prize system should be reworked allowing more of the rare shinys to be available more often.

Going to link my last rant on this topic because over the last few months there has on average only been 1 doubles official every 3 weeks and needless to say this is making me very discontent with the game. And i'm sure there are other tiers which are also getting a lack of officials, maybe not to the same extent and maybe because they have invitationals / community combat to "make up for it" but either way it feels unacceptable.

42 minutes ago, OrangeManiac said:

I really hope the LC hype doesn't die down after this invitational. Would be cool to host at least one LC tournament / month so people could have motivation to build themselves a team and get a playerbase of this new tier.

B-but Noad's Little Cup League </3

So surely we have all thought with the officials the prize seems somewhat, well low. Now don't get me wrong getting a shiny competitive pokemon is awesome and all but it isn't always the reason people want to win. Many comp players need money more than anything. Not everyone joins officials for the prizes and just want to battle but 90% of the people do and not rewarding those players who have done so well to get where they got seems really unfair. So could you guys at staff/Squirtle please up the money prizes of officials?

The economy of this game has changed alot and items have become alot more expensive, for example movesetting a pokemon can cost more than actually breeding the pokemon these days. Now I am mainly talking about 128 man tournaments. $1.300.000 for going through 7 rounds just seems really low and unrewarding. I would atleast have expected them to have $2.000.000 for first. This would only encourage players more to sit through 7 rounds of competitive battling, which is hard. I mean ask @KaynineXL the lord of 128 mans. I am sure he can tell you all about how tiring it is to get to the finals of those things. 64 man money prizes also deserve a small boost. It is just that not everyone has the ability to play more than 3 hours a day, if not less and have no time to grind and can mainly get their cash from tournaments which they join.

I must say the addition of the Community Combat is amazing giving people more opportunity to win some money through tournaments.

So why is it that the money prizes never got buffed? Is it because of the fear of the economy going crazy when those "huge" amount of cash get given out like that? Because honestly officials aren't that common to the point I would see it game breaking. On top of that it is really unlikely someone wins like 4 in a row to get insanely rich, although not impossible haha. Or is it because you guys never got to the point of renewing/updating it? 

tl;dr buff moneyprizes kthx

Edited by TheChampionMike
On 29/10/2016 at 4:16 AM, TheChampionMike said:

Lf Caracal/Eggplant's really hard to understand with alot of rules gimmick officials

OK fam how about a sort of team tourney in normal mode where you can use items that are more or less good depending on how fast you caugh safari pokes?

Oh wait, done that already. I'll hook you up with a neat, better unofficial.

Now, for the actual body of this post.

If you asked me, "what's an ideal tourney frequency?"

Intuitively, I'd say, I want to see an OU like. Every day, or every other day.

Some people just don't play 5 tiers.

I don't see an issue with even, say, a 64 man OU and a 64 man UU at THE SAME TIME.

As staff, I remember upon introduction of automated tourneys, we still sat around to supervise it throughout its entire duration. Now that they've been bug tested enough, I find this no longer necessary. Not sure if you guys still do this, be it by requirement or voluntarily.

I think a good practice would be to schedule like 3 or 4 officials a day. Just launch them and have no staff presence. effortless!

Completely sack the "balance with pve events" ratio aspect.

And do fucking whatever you want with prizes. they don't really have to be shiny scythers if there's three 64 mans in the day. For me, part of the reason it's really difficult to win an event, is because many players I'd say find a tourney that matches both their skillset and schedule, once every other week.

Please just brainlessly pump out more unsupervised, completely automated tourneys, even if at the same time, it doesn't really matter, people will sign up what they want to play.

Edited by Eggplant
13 hours ago, Eggplant said:

Please just brainlessly pump out more unsupervised, completely automated tourneys, even if at the same time, it doesn't really matter, people will sign up what they want to play.

I can safely say that having multiple automated tournaments running at once is not likely to happen, if ever. There are a few reasons as to why.

1) Too many events at once will be overwhelming for players. Imagine 20 different event announcements coming up within a very short amount of time. (20 is just a random number and likely an over exaggeration, but you get the point)

2) Events are still supposed to be something special in addition to normal gameplay. When there are too many events then they cease being special in that regard.

3) Economic impact from all events should be kept to a minimum. While it may not seem like a big deal to have a lot of events, cranking a lot of money into the game's economy will still causes issues down the road.

Simply put, while more events would be nice, we have to do so with moderation otherwise we risk damaging the in game economy and overwhelming players.

On 04/11/2016 at 7:01 PM, XelaKebert said:

2) Events are still supposed to be something special in addition to normal gameplay. When there are too many events then they cease being special in that regard.

Can't disagree here! Though, I find automated tourneys to be vital to 'regular gameplay', and in my vision, I'd exclude these from the 'special event' label.

Just like ranked matchmaking. It's scheduled daily, people use it when it's on. Automated tourneys ARE regular gameplay, imo.

And "special events in addition to normal gameplay" can include all the current PvE events you guys run, and if you feel liek doing pvp special events, you can always go back to metronome tourneys, stab tourneys, monotype tourneys, etc, all of which have kind of fallen out of fashion with the way automateds currently work.

tldr, automateds should just be part of 'normal gameplay' imo--just like limited time ranked queues.

I know some admins higher up like to keep some sort of balance between how many pvp and pve events are issued-- i'd like to suggest that this ratio be limited to manually run events.

1) Too many events at once will be overwhelming for players. Imagine 20 different event announcements coming up within a very short amount of time. (20 is just a random number and likely an over exaggeration, but you get the point)

With the above, you prob dont even need to post forum threads for each automated anymore. All the same details are in the game client anyways. Time, tier, prize, bracket size... and it would be regular-ass gameplay. You just scroll through the extensive list of tournies, find one that suits your time and tier. Probably doesn't warrant a big notification every time one is posted.

Forum section would contain pve and manually-hosted pvp events, so it wouldn't get cluttered--or too overwhelming.

3) Economic impact from all events should be kept to a minimum. While it may not seem like a big deal to have a lot of events, cranking a lot of money into the game's economy will still causes issues down the road.

hahahah good luck balancing this shit!

I'm just gonna put this one off til later. post would be too long to read. maybe someone else has ideas!

Could you make the "event is starting in x minutes" announcement more noticeable? you have like 10 seconds to see it lol.

make it permanent in chat for like 5minutes + capital red letters

this is for the people who don't read the forums everyday like me

also make announcement in FR/PT/ES/IT/CN too

i have missed a lot of hunting events because of this lol

The 500 BP requirement for Community Combat officials is dumb because the 500 BP isn't much of a sink to the BP but instead unintentionally stops players from being able to play. Today, I wanted to join one to my surprise I didn't have the BP requirement. The amount is no problem to get, it's very fast actually.. but when you forget about that particular requirement you don't have the time to simply get it at the sign up.

Community Combats already lack players in some tiers, why make it harder? I'd say we lose a portion of players who want to play just because they forgot about that small, and quite frankly, useless requirement.

About Unranked/Ranked Matchmakings. I guess here the place for talk about it.

1) I cant find battle at unrankeds except OU tier.

2) I cant find Ranked too. And Ranked times are late for me. 

3) About Leaderboard , i cannot see weekly list or monthly. Only total.

4) Playing ranked and being best at that list has no meaning for me because nobody wanna play at there. And with 1000 BP entry fee, after a little grind at battle frontier everybody can join and feed.

Spoiler

Suggestions, writing without think;

For 1) Maybe special days for tiers. Example: Only UU unranked at Monday, NU-Tuesday, Doubles-Wednesday , All tiers-Other days.

For 2) Actually i didnt think anything for that one but. Maybe 3 times in a day with 8 hours different. And every period 3 hours to enter duels.

For 3) Maybe my game has problem ,i dont know. Do you guys able to see Monthly or Weekly leaderboard list ? 

For 4) Joining with 1000 BP and winning 4000 BP kinda i dont know. My question is , what can happen if people can joins with 3000 BP and gains 9000 BP. Can be more seriouss and rankeds became more important? And with 3000 BP entry fee, battle frontier or trainer tower can work more maybe. Im just thinking.

Actually question is , while we have automated tournaments, why i must try to play at rankeds so , If ranked matchmaking removes from game , what can happen , its important ?

Thats my personal opinion, can be wrong. 

Edited by FinnTheMember
edit nerf: 12000 to 9000
1 hour ago, FinnTheMember said:

About Unranked/Ranked Matchmakings. I guess here the place for talk about it.

1) I cant find battle at unrankeds except OU tier.

2) I cant find Ranked too. And Ranked times are late for me. 

Ranked UU & NU both need to have something done to them along with just plain UU and NU matchmaking that allows players to fight in any tier they want.

The fact is people don't just player Over Used.

3) About Leaderboard , i cannot see weekly list or monthly. Only total.

1 hour ago, FinnTheMember said:

4) Playing ranked and being best at that list has no meaning for me because nobody wanna play at there. And with 1000 BP entry fee, after a little grind at battle frontier everybody can join and feed.

Once you hit leaderboards generally you only fight other people on that leaderboards and not some rand, atleast thats my experience.

Hide contents

Suggestions, writing without think;

For 1) Maybe special days for tiers. Example: Only UU unranked at Monday, NU-Tuesday, Doubles-Wednesday , All tiers-Other days.

For 2) Actually i didnt think anything for that one but. Maybe 3 times in a day with 8 hours different. And every period 3 hours to enter duels.

For 3) Maybe my game has problem ,i dont know. Do you guys able to see Monthly or Weekly leaderboard list ? 

For 4) Joining with 1000 BP and winning 4000 BP kinda i dont know. My question is , what can happen if people can joins with 3000 BP and gains 9000 BP. Can be more seriouss and rankeds became more important? And with 3000 BP entry fee, battle frontier or trainer tower can work more maybe. Im just thinking.

Actually question is , while we have automated tournaments, why i must try to play at rankeds so , If ranked matchmaking removes from game , what can happen , its important ?

Thats my personal opinion, can be wrong. 

Is not about right or wrong is your opinion.

Thanks for sharing.

I agreed on the fact that MM needs fixed for UU//NU however I don't agreed on higher rewards for MM as it will lower BP value.