Event Suggestions & Feedback

Strych

Question

As you all know, we enjoy running events. We try to come up with as many new and exciting ideas for them as we can, whilst also attempting to cater to our broad player-base.

Have we run a particular event that you'd like to see again? Perhaps one that you didn't like so much?
Do you have an idea for an event that you'd like to see happen? We're interested in your feedback and ideas, so feel free to post them in this thread.

Please keep ideas within the realm of possibility. I realise "if X is implemented, Y could be a great event", but lets try to work with what we have.

Note: This thread is for the discussion of official events (like those posted in PokeMMO Official Events).

CatchMMO just requires too much investment and has no real payout in the long term for training shit pokemon (aside from an above average prize). In addition to this, the cost of actually participating far outweighs the prize offered which is now "a higher tier gift comp shiny" and probs like 1M in yen. 

Training at least 6 caught pokes is a ton of cash to drop on one gimmick. 

tl;dr It's a fun event, but it really isn't plausible with our current economy and the limitations put on prizes

Edited by DoubleJ

For future hidden bracket tournaments, there should probably be a rule to just not allow team changing. Sure it might be a bit limiting, but realistically, the point of the tournament is to not scout and counter team.

Thats kinda hard to police, even if someone is caught using different mons would that mean they are dq'd, cos thats a bit harsh imo

For future hidden bracket tournaments, there should probably be a rule to just not allow team changing. Sure it might be a bit limiting, but realistically, the point of the tournament is to not scout and counter team.

Players often have various teams that they would like to use, be it for scouting or anti scouting or because they like to try out various styles. They shouldn't be restricted to bringing the same set of pokemon all the time imo. 

Players often have various teams that they would like to use, be it for scouting or anti scouting or because they like to try out various styles. They shouldn't be restricted to bringing the same set of pokemon all the time imo.

Then players can do that in the other 95% of tournaments. I think someone else compared it to laddering on showdown. Typically you just use one solid team throughout your matches, rather than just randomly switching it out in anticipation of a bad matchup or something.

Then players can do that in the other 95% of tournaments. I think someone else compared it to laddering on showdown. Typically you just use one solid team throughout your matches, rather than just randomly switching it out in anticipation of a bad matchup or something.

I often change my teams when laddering, to experiment new things or to deal with earlier threats in a better way. Are you telling me that when you have lost while laddering, you've never made any tweaks? Well this is essentially the same thing. In my 2nd round I was running a spiker+5 wallish pokemon, but I had trouble dealing with grumpig. Luckily I managed to prevail with a bit of hax, but it was a fault in my team building that I didn't want further being exploited, and so I dropped my spiker for an offensive threat. So if I find a hole in my team, shouldn't I be allowed to fix it irrespective of what my next opponent runs? Also you're making it sound like as if a person who has been scouted, is destined to lose his next match because his opponent has counterteamed. This isn't true because the scouting tactic can always backfire and scouting works both ways since your opponent might've seen your pokes as well. 

I'm not sure what the exact purpose of hidden brackets is, but I definitely wouldn't like the inability to change my pokemon. 

Edited by NikhilR

yep agree with nik on this one, i always find holes in the teams i build while in tournys that i must fix for the next round. I dont do it in anticipation for the next round, i dont even scout, but because i want to fix the hole i found. Also i just generally change my team after every round anyway.

Make good teams over time with the other 95% of tournaments where you can change your team or practice with your teams in vermilion or just in random battles. Then when the hidden bracket tournament comes along once every three months, bring your "best" team and see how it does. 

The first part is hardly going to happen. Firstly, there aren't enough tournaments to "practice" or "experiment" with. No one in verm usually duels NU since most people start off with OU. People are definitely going to change their teams no matter what and in all kinds of tournaments because no "one team" is always going to be good enough. One of the major deciding factors in determining who wins the match, is who brings the better team. If the outcome of pokemon battles were solely based on who makes the best plays or who the better player actually was, then make it a point to make teams same throughout. Until then, it's always best to allow people to change teams. What point are you actually going to prove to people by not changing teams? 

Why make it a hidden bracket if you're using the same team throughout? Just make a special tournament for Zebra so he can stop crying about his lack of creativity. 

Because you can still scout teams even if you're running the same team. Some teams have surprises like rest trapinch or something, but with a hidden bracket, you wouldn't really know who you're playing next AND even if you did know and scouted, its pretty limited if you're not allowed to change teams. The hidden bracket tournament is pointless if its to prevent scouting because I was still able to get the teams of 3 of my 5 opponents, just from spectating matches. 

Because you can still scout teams even if you're running the same team. Some teams have surprises like rest trapinch or something, but with a hidden bracket, you wouldn't really know who you're playing next AND even if you did know and scouted, its pretty limited if you're not allowed to change teams. The hidden bracket tournament is pointless if its to prevent scouting because I was still able to get the teams of 3 of my 5 opponents, just from spectating matches. 

There's a lot of difference between scouting with a hidden and non hidden bracket. In my case I didn't know who I was facing until it was the finals and I didn't know the team members of any of the players I was going to face. So in my case hidden brackets served their purpose well since everything was a surprise to me. Also scouting 3+ people at the same time (hidden bracket) is different from scouting 1 person at a time (visible bracket) because with the former, there is lesser time to prepare a "counter" team or strategy. 

I think someone else compared it to laddering on showdown. Typically you just use one solid team throughout your matches, rather than just randomly switching it out in anticipation of a bad matchup or something.

The problem is not everyone is tweaking their teams in anticipation of a bad matchup or something - even when I'm laddering on showdown I'll routinely make small changes to my team, whether its adjusting ev spreads, movesets, or even whether the sprite is shiny or not.

The hidden bracket does plenty to stop scouting, so players shouldn't feel the need to "switch their teams out in anticipation of a bad matchup" because it's basically a shot in the dark anyways. Therefore I think it'd be pointless to disallow team switching - the format allows for you to use one team the entire tournament if you choose, and you won't be punished for it like you would in other formats. Tweaking for the sake of fine tuning your team should never be discouraged though

There's a lot of difference between scouting with a hidden and non hidden bracket. In my case I didn't know who I was facing until it was the finals and I didn't know the team members of any of the players I was going to face. So in my case hidden brackets served their purpose well since everything was a surprise to me. Also scouting 3+ people at the same time (hidden bracket) is different from scouting 1 person at a time (visible bracket) because with the former, there is lesser time to prepare a "counter" team or strategy. 

Well yeah if you don't spectate any matches throughout the tournament, the hidden bracket eliminates any chance of scouting, but if you spectate duels while you're waiting, you can still possibly know the teams of people you're playing before you've even played them. Time isn't really an issue as you still have 10 minutes regardless as the match would only be called once both people have finished their previous matches. I guess if you normally counter team for 15-20 minutes because you scouted your opponent before hand and finished before them, then the hidden bracket puts you at a disadvantage but that is not the case for everyone. 

The problem is not everyone is tweaking their teams in anticipation of a bad matchup or something - even when I'm laddering on showdown I'll routinely make small changes to my team, whether its adjusting ev spreads, movesets, or even whether the sprite is shiny or not.

The hidden bracket does plenty to stop scouting, so players shouldn't feel the need to "switch their teams out in anticipation of a bad matchup" because it's basically a shot in the dark anyways. Therefore I think it'd be pointless to disallow team switching - the format allows for you to use one team the entire tournament if you choose, and you won't be punished for it like you would in other formats. Tweaking for the sake of fine tuning your team should never be discouraged though

Small changes are pretty annoying to do on pokemmo though. Replacing moves is a huge pain if the move is pp max'ed or its an event move or you're trying to teach it something that requires silk scarf or black belt. Changing evs between rounds of a tournament is pretty unrealistic too. I'm not saying they should switch their teams, just like people don't switch their teams while laddering once they've made a solid team. You can still easily get punished if you run the same team every round. One round, I spectated a guy who had a choice band zangoose and a stantler. Turns out, I was matched with the guy the next round and I decided to run sableye since I would be stupid not to, considering zangoose has barely any switch ins. If I didn't have sableye, the match would have not been in my favor from the start. 

Small changes are pretty annoying to do on pokemmo though. Replacing moves is a huge pain if the move is pp max'ed or its an event move or you're trying to teach it something that requires silk scarf or black belt. Changing evs between rounds of a tournament is pretty unrealistic too. I'm not saying they should switch their teams, just like people don't switch their teams while laddering once they've made a solid team. You can still easily get punished if you run the same team every round. One round, I spectated a guy who had a choice band zangoose and a stantler. Turns out, I was matched with the guy the next round and I decided to run sableye since I would be stupid not to, considering zangoose has barely any switch ins. If I didn't have sableye, the match would have not been in my favor from the start. 

If you didnt have anything for zangoose and you realized you needed somehthing for him by spectating that is not the same thing as countering teaming. Just because you just so happened to realize this by specing the person you were going agaisnt next doesnt mean you counter teamed him bc you didnt know you were gonna face him next. What you described was more like what nick said, he realizes he has holes in his team and he fixes them. If you couldnt change teams zeb you would have been stuck with the team that the CB zangoose would have ran all over. Correct me if im wrong but isnt zangoose pretty common in NU? Meaning if you had nothing for him then you would have gotten stepped on by someone else anyway.

Edited by codylramey

I'm just saying if there was a tournament where you had to use the same 6 mons throughout, it would force people to bring the best mons in the tier as well as creative ways to take out the common threats. It would basically be a best of the best in the tier, would help with viability rankings and even finding if something truly is too strong for a tier.

I don't disagree that tweaking teams should be encouraged as you can't plan for everything with just 6 pokemon, but having the occasional tournament to showcase the best teams everyone can come up with would actually be really awesome. It would bring out the best in every player to get to the finals.

I'm just saying if there was a tournament where you had to use the same 6 mons throughout, it would force people to bring the best mons in the tier as well as creative ways to take out the common threats. It would basically be a best of the best in the tier, would help with viability rankings and even finding if something truly is too strong for a tier.

I don't disagree that tweaking teams should be encouraged as you can't plan for everything with just 6 pokemon, but having the occasional tournament to showcase the best teams everyone can come up with would actually be really awesome. It would bring out the best in every player to get to the finals.

Kill counter-teaming! we need a lockable battle box for this though.