Event Suggestions & Feedback

Strych

Question

As you all know, we enjoy running events. We try to come up with as many new and exciting ideas for them as we can, whilst also attempting to cater to our broad player-base.

Have we run a particular event that you'd like to see again? Perhaps one that you didn't like so much?
Do you have an idea for an event that you'd like to see happen? We're interested in your feedback and ideas, so feel free to post them in this thread.

Please keep ideas within the realm of possibility. I realise "if X is implemented, Y could be a great event", but lets try to work with what we have.

Note: This thread is for the discussion of official events (like those posted in PokeMMO Official Events).

I would like to suggest either A, making Friday "night" tourney's on Saturday since no one on the west coast can play, or make the time 2 hours later. Overall I think Saturday is smarter since it would remain the same and accommodate everyone.

I know "Friday night" tourneys "sound cool" but they are stupid because they just shut people out. Why not make it Saturday? More people can play.

I work 8-5 Monday-Friday no matter what + underwear model on the side. Its not fair that I'll never be able to play in one of those, as it stands, for the rest of my life. (Same with others on that schedule)

Can staff confirm if they have my suggestion in consideration?

5v5 players team tournament pls

+1 here.

The larger teams always have to have a "team player" because 3 players just aren't enough and some people have to sit out.

The Misc model is also interesting. If you really want an innovative idea, stick to the 3 ppl v 3 ppl battles for this month and have  1 battle be OU, 1 battle be UU , and 1 battle be doubles. Lets see how each team utilized their players then.

I have a suggestion for an event. 

kinda similar to the art contest but not really, but i think there should be an event where people draw something like a hat or some other customization item and the winner gets their hat put into the game added to the gift shop, or celadon dept store.

Capture the flag!

Heres how it would work.  It would be something likes teams of 16 v 16 competing in part (or all, although that would be a much larger affair) of Kanto.  The way I imagine it is that Saffron would be the 'center', ie the place where it switches from one team's (we'll call them Red and Blue) side to the other team's side.  In each of the cities opposite (Cerulean/Vermillion or Celadon/Lavender) a staff member would be hiding somewhere (either of their own choosing or based on a team vote).  This staff member would be the 'flag'.  

Fairly standard capture the flag rules would apply - you're safe in your own territory (ie you can't be challenged to a duel by the other team) but when you're on the other side any opposing team can challenge you.  Each person would have to run a 3v3 or 4v4 50s battle, doubles or singles of their choosing, if challenged to a duel.  Rejecting a duel would be an auto-DQ.  The loser would get sent back to a pokemon center and the winner would be free to continue on.  Clauses would either be non-existent or an honor code system, or even a system where violations would be screenshotted and posted in the event thread.  The goal would be to occupy the space next to the staff member and say something like 'Capture' in normal chat.  The staff member would then have to follow behind the person who 'captured' them for as long as the person was able to remain in opposing territory.  If/when the 'capturer' loses a duel the staff member would stay where they were when the duel ended.  Flying would be strictly prohibited and would result in a DQ of that player.  This includes flying to the pokecenter of the opposing team, your own team, or Saffron. Three additional staff members would be required to stand next to those locations to ensure that no one was flying.  If that rule seems too hard to enforce then flying would only be prohibited while 'carrying' the flag.  The first team to get back into their territory (ie leave the Saffron gatehouse into the appropriate side) would win. Not sure how long this would take but it could maybe last for 3 rounds or something.  

Registration - standard sign ups, but the staff would randomly pick the members of each teams.

I'm not sure if its possible but if there was some way to give participants colored capes or something temporarily that would be ideal (for telling who is what team). These would be reclaimed after the game (or even kept as souvenirs...) and any player found not wearing their cape/marker would be DQ'd.  If this isn't possible then probably just having a list of the other team would work.

Prizes - not sure how it would work given the team concept. Maybe the person who captured the flag most often (not as in getting it across the border, but actually getting to the flag and saying 'capture) could get the prize or something.

Another option for this game would to be make it smaller scale (ie the city of Saffron itself) and just have more rounds.

Thoughts/comments?  It seems like a good way to keep practicing your 4v4 50s without having to do an actual tourney and having some more fun while you do it.

EDIT: If there is skepticism about how well this would work I'd be open to 'attempting' to host one of these myself and seeing how it goes.

EDIT: If there is skepticism about how well this would work I'd be open to 'attempting' to host one of these myself and seeing how it goes.

Then do because I just see people stalling out time in duels to waste the other player so a teammate can get away with the flag. Doesn't work well for a turn based game like pokemon, it works better for games where you can keep hitting whether your opponent decide to hit back or just sit still and wait you out.

I think a cool tournament would be kinda like a deathmatch type of thing. It would be a lot of people in an enclosed area anyone could join the rumble any level you just need access to the. So there could be a guy with a level 10 vs a guy with a level 50. And so that guy who lost would auto sent back to Pokemon center and could not be let back in. So it would come back down to the final couple people. Now i could see that tons of people would jsut go in with level 50s or so and own everybody. So its enter at youre own risk. If you win it would be a couple 1000 poke dollars. Yea big payoff. Also if you turn down the fight insta out. Maybe it could also be done like level 10s only. I think that would be good its only a suggestion thougth 

I think a cool tournament would be kinda like a deathmatch type of thing. It would be a lot of people in an enclosed area anyone could join the rumble any level you just need access to the. So there could be a guy with a level 10 vs a guy with a level 50. And so that guy who lost would auto sent back to Pokemon center and could not be let back in. So it would come back down to the final couple people. Now i could see that tons of people would jsut go in with level 50s or so and own everybody. So its enter at youre own risk. If you win it would be a couple 1000 poke dollars. Yea big payoff. Also if you turn down the fight insta out. Maybe it could also be done like level 10s only. I think that would be good its only a suggestion thougth 

So Highlander: Pokemon Edition?

Heres how it would work.  It would be something likes teams of 16 v 16 competing in part (or all, although that would be a much larger affair) of Kanto.  The way I imagine it is that Saffron would be the 'center', ie the place where it switches from one team's (we'll call them Red and Blue) side to the other team's side.  In each of the cities opposite (Cerulean/Vermillion or Celadon/Lavender) a staff member would be hiding somewhere (either of their own choosing or based on a team vote).  This staff member would be the 'flag'.  

Danmo Capture the Flag plan: up

Mine revision his plan: bottom

1. The Team 16 vs 16 brilliantly ideas. since the kanto region have 4 different city cerulean-north, celedon-west, saffron-middle where the main flag would be, larvender-east, and Vermillion-south.

2. The Team can be in 4 team. Let say Cerulean city have a team Red, Larvender have team Blue, Vermillion have team Green, and Celedon have team Yellow that is their home base. Saffron and other city opposite of them is free to duel and of course capture the flag.

3. The Staff member like Danmo say must be the flag and hide inside the building in  Saffron City.

4. One individual team would divide a group into 6 members. 6 member handle capture the flag, 6 handle the defense of the home base, 3 member on reserve also can be use for scouting the enemies, 1 member is the leader of the team.

Fairly standard capture the flag rules would apply - you're safe in your own territory (ie you can't be challenged to a duel by the other team) but when you're on the other side any opposing team can challenge you.  Each person would have to run a 3v3 or 4v4 50s battle, doubles or singles of their choosing, if challenged to a duel.  Rejecting a duel would be an auto-DQ.  The loser would get sent back to a pokemon center and the winner would be free to continue on.  Clauses would either be non-existent or an honor code system, or even a system where violations would be screenshotted and posted in the event thread.  The goal would be to occupy the space next to the staff member and say something like 'Capture' in normal chat.  The staff member would then have to follow behind the person who 'captured' them for as long as the person was able to remain in opposing territory.  If/when the 'capturer' loses a duel the staff member would stay where they were when the duel ended.  Flying would be strictly prohibited and would result in a DQ of that player.  This includes flying to the pokecenter of the opposing team, your own team, or Saffron. Three additional staff members would be required to stand next to those locations to ensure that no one was flying.  If that rule seems too hard to enforce then flying would only be prohibited while 'carrying' the flag.  The first team to get back into their territory (ie leave the Saffron gatehouse into the appropriate side) would win. Not sure how long this would take but it could maybe last for 3 rounds or something.  

Danmo plan: up

Mine revision his plan: bottom

1. The first part I disagree with Danmo home base is safe zone, the city home base of that team, opposite side city and the middle is free for all duel and capture the flag. Unless the player enter the pokemon center to heal then it a safe zone but when hold the flag aka the staff member, that person can't camp in the pokemon center.

2. Each player can hold up to 6 pokemon at lvl50. 6 members that capture the flag allowed to use single battle, but when enter the enemy home base they must force to do double battle. 3 members that on reserve and the leader can use single or double battle at any time.

3. The 3 members must scout the flag first, the individual scout must report back to the leader after find out the flag location, then the leader can send in the team to capture it. 

4. The 3members reserve group can use for stalling opposite team, ambush the individual player with flag or not, and scouting for the flag.

4. I agree with Danmo on the duel clause, if challenged to a duel and rejected are automatic send back to the home base pokemon center.

5. I agree with Danmo on no fly clause

6. The leader of the team must station in the Gym Leader

7. The person that hold the flag aka the staff member must carry it all the way to the leader location and say "Successful Capture the Flag Return to Home Base."

Registration - standard sign ups, but the staff would randomly pick the members of each teams.

Danmo: up

Mine revision: bottom

1. I agree with this part. keep it the same

I'm not sure if its possible but if there was some way to give participants colored capes or something temporarily that would be ideal (for telling who is what team). These would be reclaimed after the game (or even kept as souvenirs...) and any player found not wearing their cape/marker would be DQ'd.  If this isn't possible then probably just having a list of the other team would work.

Mine revision: bottom

1. The Staff member can tell the players that participate in advance to buy a cap color before the flag event start. Depend on what team they in, what group they in capture, scout, defense, or leader. or the Staff members can give one temporally to sorted the players into group in one team.

2. the channel have to be in empty area to play.

Prizes - not sure how it would work given the team concept. Maybe the person who captured the flag most often (not as in getting it across the border, but actually getting to the flag and saying 'capture) could get the prize or something.

mine revision: bottom

1. the participate prize that didnt win can keep the cap and for the team that did won with the most points can be decide by the staff member it prize.

Another option for this game would to be make it smaller scale (ie the city of Saffron itself) and just have more rounds.

Thoughts/comments?  It seems like a good way to keep practicing your 4v4 50s without having to do an actual tourney and having some more fun while you do it.

i'd like to suggest no more "gimmick" tournies. i( or we) want simple, level 50,4v4 ou uu 6v6s etc NORMAL tournies

how are we supposed to gauge our skill making level 15 pokemon we'll use twice a year? its a waste of time just let us have some normal tournies

Can we have a simple 4v4 OU tournament soon? I am sick of all this bullshit pika cup, smeargle smashup, guts shit, eevee shit, I would like simple tournaments much more than the gimmicky stuff.

This. We haven't had friday night 50s or team tournament for ages, and to say that a staff member who organises it is running late or is busy is not an excuse. Tournaments should be a collective effort on the part of the staff, instead of just one staff member running their own one.

This. We haven't had friday night 50s or team tournament for ages, and to say that a staff member who organises it is running late or is busy is not an excuse. Tournaments should be a collective effort on the part of the staff, instead of just one staff member running their own one.

so much this

archenix runs like 4 tournies a month can you just make him a CM if he wants it? seriously

so much this

archenix runs like 4 tournies a month can you just make him a CM if he wants it? seriously

>implying hosting tournaments is grounds for anyone getting staff

The lack of normal official tournaments lately has been disappointing though. We've been getting a lot of miscellaneous official events, while the only tournaments have all had a gimmick to them, which makes it less fun to participate in since your strategy is limited. It also gets dull to watch because every match just ends up being the same.

i'd like to suggest no more "gimmick" tournies. i( or we) want simple, level 50,4v4 ou uu 6v6s etc NORMAL tournies

how are we supposed to gauge our skill making level 15 pokemon we'll use twice a year? its a waste of time just let us have some normal tournies

Can we have a simple 4v4 OU tournament soon? I am sick of all this bullshit pika cup, smeargle smashup, guts shit, eevee shit, I would like simple tournaments much more than the gimmicky stuff.

Edit: Also I doubt players enjoy training level 15/20/30 pokemon to use 2 times a year.

Official Events take more time to set up then Unofficial ones to, we also do not specifically cater to what one group of people would like. We consider the rest of the community as well, again, please be patient as you have been asked before.

I don't want to see anymore of these specific complaints here as they have been addressed several times.

Official Events take more time to set up then Unofficial ones to, we also do not specifically cater to what one group of people would like. We consider the rest of the community as well, again, please be patient as you have been asked before.

I don't want to see anymore of these specific complaints here as they have been addressed several times.

Most of the community trains for level 50 standard OU/UU play