Event Suggestions & Feedback

Strych

Question

As you all know, we enjoy running events. We try to come up with as many new and exciting ideas for them as we can, whilst also attempting to cater to our broad player-base.

Have we run a particular event that you'd like to see again? Perhaps one that you didn't like so much?
Do you have an idea for an event that you'd like to see happen? We're interested in your feedback and ideas, so feel free to post them in this thread.

Please keep ideas within the realm of possibility. I realise "if X is implemented, Y could be a great event", but lets try to work with what we have.

Note: This thread is for the discussion of official events (like those posted in PokeMMO Official Events).

[quote name='timmyboi' timestamp='1361479804' post='206274']
also with the team tourney for the prize it should also be the team that wins their thread gets pinned at the top of round table
[/quote]
This was actually the first idea I had for the Team Tourney prize. Patrick convinced me the Hall of Fame idea was better, as it covers all the monthly official tourneys.

[quote name='Strychnine' timestamp='1361492429' post='206639']

This was actually the first idea I had for the Team Tourney prize. Patrick convinced me the Hall of Fame idea was better, as it covers all the monthly official tourneys.
[/quote] yeah the pinned thread just feels more official

[/quote]

that'd be sweet

i liked the magikarp fishing contest and i guess they did a safari one i missed

[/quote]

Not only that but it's a lasting reward - you'll barely notice a week of having your team's thread at the top of The Round Table, but you will always be able to point at the hall of fame to show off your team's achievement.

Also: In case it comes up again, please be aware that otherwise unobtainable Pokemon won't be given as event prizes.

[quote name='DarkPlague2863' timestamp='1361481517' post='206334']
Remember the Safari Zone Contest that was held a while back? We got points for catching certain pokemon, natures, etc and the person who had the most points won? That was a fun little contest, wouldn't mind seeing that again.
[/quote]

I second what he said! That sounds so fun!

I had an idea for a weekend for both pros and newer players. Similar to the NBA's all star weekend model. The reason why? Pokemmo needs a super huge event! A shorthand idea of it is basically a schedule like the following

[u][b]Friday[/b][/u] : A 32 person level 50 tourney or 2 16 person tourneys for level 50 and level 100. This tourney is aimed at newer players that haven't won a tourney yet. It's a way for a player who has either had trouble winning in competitive play or hasn't tried yet to get an opportunity to win their first tourney without being blocked off from the experienced players. I'd say that the only requirement should be that you can only register if you haven't won a tourney yet (since Sunday's requirement is the opposite, everyone will be involved)

I got the idea for Friday as a continuation from Thoth's competitive seminar thread here: [url="https://forums.pokemmo.eu/index.php?/topic/14470-how-to-be-competitive-seminar-discussion/"]https://forums.pokem...nar-discussion/[/url].
The newer players that are learning can be encouraged to practice what they learned with this tourney.

[u][b]Saturday[/b][/u]: The GMs/CMs can host a few events throughout the day. A pokemon quiz at 2 pm, A catching contest at 5 and maybe a Guild vs GMs/CMs event at 8 PM are just some ideas. The events this day could be anything though.

[u][b]Sunday:[/b][/u] A fun tourney for the people who consistently win in the competitive scene. Any ideas could work here. At the moment I like the 32 man lvl 50 , 3v3 round 1 and 2, 4v4 round 3, 5v5 round 4, and 6v6 Finals. With a requirement being something like you've had to be a finalist in a previous 32 man tourney. Pro players can adapt right?

[quote name='PinkLemon' timestamp='1361889023' post='211084']
All events should be friday night, all day saturday, or early sunday, got to keep in mind of immense number of players who have work,school, college, etc in mind.
[/quote]
I still think the "every weekend" type of events (outside of Friday Night 50's, I will repeatedly stab Plizard with a rubber spork if they take away my Friday Night 50's..) is untheasable due to the fact that the staff are somewhat limited, and the staff would get tired of it eventually™

[quote name='iSmashbro' timestamp='1361890275' post='211102']
I still think the "every weekend" type of events (outside of Friday Night 50's, I will repeatedly stab Plizard with a rubber spork if they take away my Friday Night 50's..) is untheasable due to the fact that the staff are somewhat limited, and the staff would get tired of it eventually™
[/quote]
Plizard and all of those dudes that host officials or demi-official events do GREAT jobs, im talking about random people who should host primetime when there isnt officials events happening.

[quote name='PinkLemon' timestamp='1361889023' post='211084']
All events should be friday night, all day saturday, or early sunday, got to keep in mind of immense number of players who have work,school, college, etc in mind.
[/quote]
Since most people live in different time zones, I doubt Friday nights or early Sundays would be easy. Buuut, I guess somewhere on the saturday would work fairly well.

Pokemmon Team League
Every team compete in a league held yearly
3 points for winners, 1 points for a tie and 0 for the losers (like in a football league)
Battle is 4 vs 4 (for people), 6v6 or 3v3(for pokemon) and lvl 50 pokemon only
The battle results and the league table newest update can be posted in the forum
Why would we do this, to provide better ranking system for the team
just a suggestion and sorry for the bad english
:rolleyes:

I've been saving this for one of my own, but, who cares?

Anyways; it's a race around Kanto. Start at Pallet, finish back at Pallet. You can't use a bike. Whichever HMs are necessary are allowed.

It'll have one person standing at each city. Just to make sure that nobody cheats.

[quote name='Adam1234' timestamp='1363086193' post='226304']
Pokemmon Team League
Every team compete in a league held yearly
3 points for winners, 1 points for a tie and 0 for the losers (like in a football league)
Battle is 4 vs 4 (for people), 6v6 or 3v3(for pokemon) and lvl 50 pokemon only
The battle results and the league table newest update can be posted in the forum
Why would we do this, to provide better ranking system for the team
just a suggestion and sorry for the bad english
:rolleyes:
[/quote]

I wouldn't say yearly. TOO LONG

A race would need a completely closed environment and many many staff onhand to make sure nobody cheats. Even then, it's a difficult event to run fairly with very little payoff. I'm not sure if we'll ever see an official race event.

[quote name='Strychnine' timestamp='1363940644' post='240823']
A race would need a completely closed environment and many many staff onhand to make sure nobody cheats. Even then, it's a difficult event to run fairly with very little payoff. I'm not sure if we'll ever see an official race event.
[/quote]

One type of race which would be possible to verify for a limited group of people is the walkthrough race.

Basically everyone confirm they just made the alt by having the battle with gary popping up in professor oaks place. This battle would work as they sign in. Of course, there is limited how many people a staff can confirm and hold back from starting, also he wouldn't be able to hinder them from transferring pokemons so best answer here would be to allow doing so.

This race he could pick a town they have to reach, maybe 7th Island to prove they finished Elite4, maybe rocket wearhouse to finish the island quests as well.

[b]Cons[/b]:
I think holding control on more than 16 participants would be too much to handle for the hosts though so it would maybe be a bit well exclusive to be considered as a good official tournament? Could still work for unofficial though.

Also it does encourage making of new accounts and I don't think that is what developers want.

[u][b]National (Olympic/WBC type of) Idea! [/b][/u]( I would love to try something like this with GM support and maybe a place in the HOF as the prize)

A 16-team 3 person tourney, but with each group representing nationality.We could add in an American team and a Canadian team pretty easily. And I think European/Hispanic/Asian countries would be represented pretty well.

[u][b]What Type of Bracket?[/b][/u]
To give it more of a team feeling. I think the WBC's bracket for is best.
[u]It will be a double elimination bracket for the first two rounds.[/u] Followed by [u]single elimination for the Semis and Finals. [/u]
The reasons are so that a team doesn't form and only gets to play 1 game and can communicate about when they should do in future games.

Example of the 1st two rounds for one pool. We break up 16 groups into 4 groups of 4. This will be the template for each round:

Game 1 : Team A vs Team B
Game 2: Team C vs Team D
Game 3: The Loser of Game 1 vs The Loser of Game 2 (The Loser is Eliminated)
Game 4: The Winner of Game 1 vs The Winner of Game 2 (Winner is the 1st Seed)
Game 5: The Winner of Game 3 vs The Loser of Game 4 (The Loser is Eliminated) (Winner is the 2nd Seed)

With 16 teams, this will lead to 20 matches in round one, 10 matches in round two, 2 matches for the semis, and 1 Finals. match. A total of 33 Matches. A standard 32 man tourney that Pokemmo usually runs has 31-32 matches (pending a 3rd place match). So even if this idea seems like it'll take a long time, the tournament will run about the same amount of time as a standard tourney.

[u][b]Other General (Possible) FAQ: [/b][/u]

1) [b]How will the teams be selected? [/b]
- The initial idea at work is this. There will be a registration thread where each player or team can post. If for example there are 3-4 teams that want to represent America, we will host some kind of Qualifying round similar to the Double Elimination Bracket described earlier or do a simple Round Robin with the best team qualifying.

2) [b]What if i don't have a team, but want to be apart of this?[/b]
- You can post your individual name on the registration thread with your nation. Either you can be listed as a reserve for a team if an agreement could be made or you could form a team with other individuals that post.

3) [b]How many members per team?[/b]
- An initial number I came up with is 6 or 7. The two reasons for this are because the times may not be accommodating to some and there will more than likely be a rule for not allowing the same 3 players to compete in every game throughout the tourney.

4) [b]How do I know if I could represent _______ ?[/b]
- Not to keep it strict. The qualifications of representation are [u]at least one[/u] of the following:
If you are a citizen of [b]OR[/b] born in a particular country.
If you have a parent who was born in [b]OR[/b] a citizen of a particular country.
If you have permanent residence in a country.

5) [b]What if I'm the only representative from my country?[/b]
- We'd ask if you can represent any other country first. Example: You're born, live, and are a citizen of Indonesia but your parents are born in Canada and the U.S, then you can represent either of those countries. Another idea may be to group countries. For example if 2 people are from Angola and 2 from Zimbabwe, then maybe we could group it as "Africa" or "South Africa". We'll see how it goes

6) [b]How do you know someone is representing their nation?[/b]
- Sadly this is the one question that you would have to trust people and hope they have some degree of nationalism to not lie about it. It's a chance to meet new people. There's no huge prize on the line. I'm sure we will probably have someone do it. That someone doesn't need to be you though. Be bigger than that.

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I think that it should be possible to have more challenging contests, like making a video (done), creating a banner and some slogans for the PokeMMO website. they should have bigger prizes, like making a Pokemon's Iv's better, turning it into a shiny (done) and giving the winner something special, like giving them an early sprite customization, or a badge by their name, like a CM, saying "PBL" or publicizer.[/font][/color]

[quote name='CipherWeston' timestamp='1364589599' post='253430']
While talking in TeamSpeak with other users, what if there was a tournament that had a random weather effect?

Or having a set weather in a certain patch: Like standing in an ice patch makes it hail or a desert patch makes it sandstorm.
[/quote]
[img]http://bookriot.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/3879_-_animated_gif_chuck_norris_dodgeball_thumbs_up.gif[/img]