Event Suggestions & Feedback

Strych

Question

As you all know, we enjoy running events. We try to come up with as many new and exciting ideas for them as we can, whilst also attempting to cater to our broad player-base.

Have we run a particular event that you'd like to see again? Perhaps one that you didn't like so much?
Do you have an idea for an event that you'd like to see happen? We're interested in your feedback and ideas, so feel free to post them in this thread.

Please keep ideas within the realm of possibility. I realise "if X is implemented, Y could be a great event", but lets try to work with what we have.

Note: This thread is for the discussion of official events (like those posted in PokeMMO Official Events).

The Color Tournament

You must use 4 pokemon all of the same color out of red, blue, yellow, green, brown, orange purple, black and white. The staff makes a list which explicitly states which pokemon are classified as which color(You could even include shiny colorations). If they want, a pokemon can be multiple colors, but that really complicates the list. This list needs to be made, for pokemon with more than one color, such as electrode. 

101.gif

This would make for a tournament with fun teams and a similar premise to monotype, but allowing for much more interesting combinations. 

226.gif195f.gif214.gif230.gif

+1    

I want this.

I was going to post it myself but I saw someone beat me to it so I figured id just +1 that.

in what i believe to be the bigest lvl 1 tourney ever on this server, the predominate pokes were ones that evolved via stone/trading or only have 1 stage. starmie, jolt, vap, arcanine, scizor, steelix, snorlax, magneton, cloyster, exeggutor, kangas, chansey, lapras, heracross, skarmory, and absol made up the "over used" of baby cup (aero and porygon 2 likely will be used alot now aswell). at lvl one, small differences in base stats dont make any difference at all. stab, resistance, and weakness play a much bigger role.

But if the prize is small maybe most people won't waste hours to EV the pokes, also, will there be similar to LC or any level 1 Poke will be allowed ( Chansey, Kanga ect...) ?

That's the aim. It's meant to be fun and gimmicky.

It would be similar to LC, only first evolution of Pokemon that have an evolution in gen 3 would be allowed, with the exception of Scyther, Chansey and Wynaut, unless majority wants otherwise

the diffrence ev's make is dicussed here

https://forums.pokemmo.eu/index.php?/topic/30690-pokemmo-event-discussion-little-cup/

i researched this a bit with stat calcs. at lvl 1 a non ev starmie with a + nature 0-31 speed no ev is 7, a jolt with + nature 0-31 speed no ev is 7. with ev's however their speed is 8 even 0 iv. this is the difference between a starmie guaranteed wining the speed tie and 2hko and the jolt possibly winning the speed tie and 1hko'ing starm. there are many other example's but this is one of the more drastic examples. ev training pokes with a brace will give people a unfair advantage over people who dont have one/cant afford a ev service. i have the brace and run a ev service btw so know im bias FOR this and i still say it's unfair.

See above.

Though, to be honest, let's say for example it was 4v4 lvl1, you had 1 week to prepare, and the prize was something like a shiny Magikarp, would you be bothered EVing?

Priority moves too, at level 1 Stab Fake out from Kanga ( Add Silk Scarf too if you want ) will rape everything that doesn't resist it ( fire blast to fuck up the steel types, gg )....if, let's say scizor can get a +2 atk with sword dance Quick Attack will easilly outplay you if you don't have something that resist it. Yeah, i don't think this is a really good idea..

Ok, with LC rules will be a little different...still pretty broken if you ask me...

Anyway, small prize doesn't mean small poke, like Elekid for example :P

That's the aim. It's meant to be fun and gimmicky.

It would be similar to LC, only first evolution of Pokemon that have an evolution in gen 3 would be allowed, with the exception of Scyther, Chansey and Wynaut, unless majority wants otherwise

See above.

Though, to be honest, let's say for example it was 4v4 lvl1, you had 1 week to prepare, and the prize was something like a shiny Magikarp, would you be bothered EVing?

have you met the comp scene? we regularly spend 100+ hours breeding pokemon that give us a stat 1 or 2 points better then the other guys. also shiny carp goes for 6 eggs now adays which takes 20x longer to farm then ev'ing 4 pokemon. i already have 6 fully ev'd lvl one's. you could ban ev'ing all together to try to make it fair but sounds like a massive amount of work to enforce.

Priority moves too, at level 1 Stab Fake out from Kanga ( Add Silk Scarf too if you want ) will rape everything that doesn't resist it ( fire blast to fuck up the steel types, gg )....if, let's say scizor can get a +2 atk with sword dance Quick Attack will easilly outplay you if you don't have something that resist it. Yeah, i don't think this is a really good idea..

Ok, with LC rules will be a little different...still pretty broken if you ask me...

Anyway, small prize doesn't mean small poke, like Elekid for example :P

shh~ dont give this away here!

[spoiler]

(also spore smeargle with belly/bp or agility is so bad)

[/spoiler]

I think I have a good sugg dealing with the event creation.

You all might have observed the upsurge of complaints about events organisations as I did, Im gonna use this topic to illustrate it https://forums.pokemmo.eu/index.php?/topic/34654-we-need-new-tournament-hosts/

It appears to me that both players and staff are upset about this situation.

then why wouldn't the staff give players an opportunity to organise real events ?

My suggestion consists in the sponsoriship of "unofficial events" by the staff, by sponsorship I mean the providing of prices usually reserved for "official events".

it'll encourage everybody to organise the most novel events, the best of them would be rewarded by this sponsorship. I really think this should boost the event creation and make it much funnier. Thanks for reading

I think I have a good sugg dealing with the event creation.

You all might have observed the upsurge of complaints about events organisations as I did, Im gonna use this topic to illustrate it https://forums.pokemmo.eu/index.php?/topic/34654-we-need-new-tournament-hosts/

It appears to me that both players and staff are upset about this situation.

then why wouldn't the staff give players an opportunity to organise real events ?

My suggestion consists in the sponsoriship of "unofficial events" by the staff, by sponsorship I mean the providing of prices usually reserved for "official events".

it'll encourage everybody to organise the most novel events, the best of them would be rewarded by this sponsorship. I really think this should boost the event creation and make it much funnier. Thanks for reading

If you'll read the thread you'll see the arguments against such a suggestion. Unofficial tourneys are fine, but they do contain an element of risk. We must maintain an element of professionalism with official events in order to insure fairness and prevent allegations of impropriety. Unofficial events lack the safeguards that official events have put in place to insure that everyone is treated fairly. 

If you'll read the thread you'll see the arguments against such a suggestion. Unofficial tourneys are fine, but they do contain an element of risk. We must maintain an element of professionalism with official events in order to insure fairness and prevent allegations of impropriety. Unofficial events lack the safeguards that official events have put in place to insure that everyone is treated fairly. 

No. Staff can provide the prizes like 1 or two days after an event, why not making a system of approvment by the candidates (..?) so no misunderstood or dispute possible, and as I said in my post, only best events (most popular + hosted by most trusted players) would be rewarded, so again all problems are avoided. (for example if the host quits in the middle of an event, he would be "banned" from the event-making.)

No. Staff can provide the prizes like 1 or two days after an event, why not making a system of approvment by the candidates (..?) so no misunderstood or dispute possible, and as I said in my post, only best events (most popular + hosted by most trusted players) would be rewarded, so again all problems are avoided.

You really should revisit the thread as Harper as suggested.

https://forums.pokemmo.eu/index.php?/topic/34654-we-need-new-tournament-hosts/?p=573403

Keep in mind that "most popular and trusted players" is completely subjective. How would you make that sort of list? Doesn't sound like something that could be very sound or fair, if you want to become "trusted" then work on becoming a staff member.

It would be impossible for the staff to figure out who/how many Unofficial hosts should be provided a prize for their tournaments. 

You really should revisit the thread as Harper as suggested.

https://forums.pokemmo.eu/index.php?/topic/34654-we-need-new-tournament-hosts/?p=573403

Keep in mind that "most popular and trusted players" is completely subjective. How would you make that sort of list? Doesn't sound like something that could be very sound or fair, if you want to become "trusted" then work on becoming a staff member.

It would be impossible for the staff to figure out who/how many Unofficial hosts should be provided a prize for their tournaments. 

Come on, this is nothing but hypocrisy, these trusted players would be naturally designed by community as I said twice, nothing unfair in it, on the contrary.

"It would be impossible for the staff to figure out who/how many Unofficial hosts should be provided a prize for their tournaments."

This would be easy and natural, in fact I suggest it because it is already often made in MMO games much bigger than pokemmo and I think it would solve one of the major problems highlighted by the community.

And sorry for not reading all the full topics of this forum before making this suggestion, you have to know that it is already quite hard for me to write/answer in a language that is not my first language but I apologize for it. However your comment still does not terminate the discussion.

Come on, this is nothing but hypocrisy, these trusted players would be naturally designed by community as I said twice, nothing unfair in it, on the contrary.

"It would be impossible for the staff to figure out who/how many Unofficial hosts should be provided a prize for their tournaments."

This would be easy and natural, in fact I suggest it because it is already often made in MMO games much bigger than pokemmo and I think it would solve one of the major problems highlighted by the community.

And sorry for not reading all the full topics of this forum before making this suggestion, you have to know that it is already quite hard for me to write/answer in a language that is not my first language but I apologize for it. However your comment still does not terminate the discussion.

Hypocrisy? I don't see how.

I don't think a popularity contest should determine what individuals in the community have a chance to award staff spawned prizes. Again, if you want to host tournaments and you want the benefits of being staff in that way.. then become staff, that is just how I see it.

Also you don't have evidence of the being a "major problem", just because there are no a ton of events in the PokeMMO Event Sub Forum does not mean there is currently an issue with events. Yes, they may need to have a few more people recruited to staff for event purposes but this has not been confirmed as an issue and lulls in events have occurred before. They will figure it out, and the solution is not giving the ability to have spawned prizes to people who are popular in the community. Popularity is not an indication of anything required for hosting a proper tournament. 

Language is not an excuse for not reading a topic in this case. I understand the difficulties but if you are to propose something and to reference a thread you have to be in a position where you understand what you are discussing and referencing. That may seem harsh but you've initiated the conversation, language barriers or not this is a discussion forum and people will address your suggestions and statements regardless of your language efficiencies (aware or not). 

You don't understand what I mean by popularity. I believe in the intelligence of the community, people are not dumb enough to elect a guy because they find him funny of because he is good in at trading shinies, but because they know he worked on his event, because they know he is fair and reliable. If you don't believe that the community would manage to do this, I tell you that I know it will. (It did, it does, it will always do, provinding examples would not be a problem for me).

"Also you don't have evidence of the being a "major problem" I said "the major problem highlighted by the community"; by that I mean what people complain the most about, should I have written "one of the most... ?" I edited my post, thanks for underlining it.

"if you want to host tournaments and you want the benefits of being staff in that way" personnally I'm not even interested in event-making so I don't suggest it for me but some people like running it, just look at the upsurge of spontaneous tournaments, don't you find the prizes ridiculous ? Don't you think these organisators deserve a better consideration ?

"Language is not an excuse" "you have to be in a position where you understand what you are discussing and referencing" 

Thank you but I think I still understand the situation, not that stupid, btw I am sorry you didn't get the sarcasm in my previous apologizes

Sorry you lost me there, if you attend good organized unofficial events you would see that they are run better and the refs are better than at official tournaments. Just my two cents.

You don't understand what I mean by popularity. I believe in the intelligence of the community, people are not dumb enough to elect a guy because they find him funny of because he is good in at trading shinies, but because they know he worked on his event, because they know he is fair and reliable. If you don't believe that the community would manage to do this, I tell you that I know it will. (It did, it does, it will always do, provinding examples would not be a problem for me).

"Also you don't have evidence of the being a "major problem" I said "the major problem highlighted by the community"; by that I mean what people complain the most about, should I have written "one of the most... ?" I edited my post, thanks for underlining it.

"if you want to host tournaments and you want the benefits of being staff in that way" personnally I'm not even interested in event-making so I don't suggest it for me but some people like running it, just look at the upsurge of spontaneous tournaments, don't you find the prizes ridiculous ? Don't you think these organisators deserve a better consideration ?

"Language is not an excuse" "you have to be in a position where you understand what you are discussing and referencing" 

Thank you but I think I still understand the situation, not that stupid, btw I am sorry you didn't get the sarcasm in my previous apologizes

You're being emotional enough to ignore my points, so I won't continue this conversation.

I will say generally to anyone interested in your suggestion that: I am 99% sure the staff won't be providing spawned prizes to unofficials. Mostly because they are capable of recruiting more people if they wish to, if they're in need of more people to do events. 

And I am leaving it at that. 

You're being emotional enough to ignore my points, so I won't continue this conversation.

I will say generally to anyone interested in your suggestion that: I am 99% sure the staff won't be providing spawned prizes to unofficials. Mostly because they are capable of recruiting more people if they wish to, if they're in need of more people to do events. 

And I am leaving it at that. 

"You're being emotional enough to ignore my points, so I won't continue this conversation." > so you do the same as a revenge, I get it.

"Mostly because they are capable of recruiting more people if they wish to" 

In fact your opinion is not that far from what i'm proposing. If you want, we can imagine something like an official rank ("event team"?) that could be established to designate trusted organizers who have been able to show they were serious and reliable. But staff needs to make the first step of giving its trust as a reward to active organizers who have never been in the position where they could create attractive events, which is what they deserve.

In fact your opinion is not that far from what i'm proposing. If you want, we can imagine something like an official rank ("event team"?) that could be established to designate trusted organizers who have been able to show they were serious and reliable. But staff needs to make the first step of giving its trust as a reward to active organizers who have never been in the position where they could create attractive events, which is what they deserve.

Wouldn't it just be easier to make those trusted members of the community staff members? What you are describing sounds exactly like the system we already have in place. 

does it work ?

The system based on sponsorship allows to gain in activity, why is everybody complaining about a lack of event whereas the unofficial section is full of motivated organizers ? I think providing a prize to an event organizer because he had a great idea is a less important decision than making him member of the staff this is where it blocks.

does it work ?

The system based on sponsorship allows to gain in activity, why is everybody complaining about a lack of event w

Yes. It works.

Because we lost a few long time staff members who had a great deal of tourney experience, and it will take some time to get some new staff members involved.

Anyway, thank you for your suggestion. I'm always gratified to see new people take an interest in the community.