Event Suggestions & Feedback

Strych

Question

As you all know, we enjoy running events. We try to come up with as many new and exciting ideas for them as we can, whilst also attempting to cater to our broad player-base.

Have we run a particular event that you'd like to see again? Perhaps one that you didn't like so much?
Do you have an idea for an event that you'd like to see happen? We're interested in your feedback and ideas, so feel free to post them in this thread.

Please keep ideas within the realm of possibility. I realise "if X is implemented, Y could be a great event", but lets try to work with what we have.

Note: This thread is for the discussion of official events (like those posted in PokeMMO Official Events).

Are you thinking about the same tournament as I am thinking of?

https://forums.pokemmo.eu/index.php?/topic/9082-pokemon-tournament-fire-type-28th-november-930pm-gmt0/

top kek

• level 50-55
  • fire monotype tournament
  • status boost/healing items allowed
  • no species clause
  • no clauses hue
  • you have to "accept the rules/conditions"
  • shiny vulpix or shiny growlithe prize

Imagine if this were posted today. The shitstorm would be marvelous.

Are you thinking about the same tournament as I am thinking of?

https://forums.pokemmo.eu/index.php?/topic/9082-pokemon-tournament-fire-type-28th-november-930pm-gmt0/

top kek

• level 50-55
  • fire monotype tournament
  • status boost/healing items allowed
  • no species clause
  • no clauses hue
  • you have to "accept the rules/conditions"
  • shiny vulpix or shiny growlithe prize

Imagine if this were posted today. The shitstorm would be marvelous.

no evasion clause either, i just double teamed a lot, which costs me one match, ....

mfw i could win the thing thanks to max speed zard but i went for double team vs a zard instead of rock slide, well it was my first tourney so i was allowed to make a mistake like that.

How would you guys feel about this for Team Tournaments?

5 Players from each team

6v6 OU

6v6 UU

6v6 3 OU / 3 UU

6v6 UU Doubles

6v6 OU Doubles

This would only be 8 teams because of time unless we were able to put together enough refs.

Thoughts?

sounds absolutely awesome but maybe NU instead of 3 OU/3 UU and what if it was staggered into multiple days like the Olympics? to allow more then 8 teams

sounds absolutely awesome but maybe NU instead of 3 OU/3 UU and what if it was staggered into multiple days like the Olympics? to allow more then 8 teams

NU would need to be formed more, personally.

Putting it into multiple days puts alot of extra work on the host and hard for everyone to make it. 

I'd like to get as much feedback as possible

NU would need to be formed more, personally.

Putting it into multiple days puts alot of extra work on the host and hard for everyone to make it. 

I'd like to get as much feedback as possible

I personally dislike this idea. It would be somewhat confusing to arrange who is playing what bracket, and it's more telling to me to know a team beat another in a certain format and that there were absolutely no gimmicks involved.

I personally dislike this idea. It would be somewhat confusing to arrange who is playing what bracket.

Here's what will happen. Let's assume I'm the host, just for ease of the explanation.

I, being the host, will call teams and have their team leader whisper me which players are doing which type of battle.

Example: "[PRLS] Peerless vs. [LYLE] KingCheerios, leaders please whisper me which members are battling in which meta".

After this, I will inform the other refs who will be battling who. From there, refs can pick out who they want to referee and post. Example: "JSTUD  vs ThinkNice (OU Singles)". Many of the competitive teams know each other well and are friendly toward each other. I'm sure you can figure out who you'll be battling beforehand.

it's more telling to me to know a team beat another in a certain format.

The wording of this confused me a bit, and I'm sorry for that. Can you elaborate a bit?

There were absolutely no gimmicks involved.

Eh, we've never had any gimmicks in team tournaments to my knowledge. I see your point though.

Here's what will happen. Let's assume I'm the host, just for ease of the explanation.

I, being the host, will call teams and have their team leader whisper me which players are doing which type of battle.

Example: "[PRLS] Peerless vs. [LYLE] KingCheerios, leaders please whisper me which members are battling in which meta".

After this, I will inform the other refs who will be battling who. From there, refs can pick out who they want to referee and post. Example: "JSTUD  vs ThinkNice (OU Singles)". Many of the competitive teams know each other well and are friendly toward each other. I'm sure you can figure out who you'll be battling beforehand.

The wording of this confused me a bit, and I'm sorry for that. Can you elaborate a bit?

Eh, we've never had any gimmicks in team tournaments to my knowledge. I see your point though.

I'm referring to the fact that there is somewhat of a "gimmick" or inconsistency in having different tiers. You don't know that one team is better than the other in a certain format with the system Archinix is proposing. One player could have lost to the other simply because they are less experienced in a given format or ill-prepared for it. Doubles are nowhere near as popular as singles and 3OU/3UU is a very broken meta and I am disappointed to see it run for any serious official event. People regard team tournaments as one of the best ways to prove themselves in the competitive scene, and it's nice to know there was no b.s. involved, to keep it concise.

It would suck to add additional variables and takes away from the fun and bragging rights, too, if people start complaining about "oh well it's because I had to play 3OU/3UU that I lost my match!" etc. I would just like to see the team tournies have conformity in terms of format. That's not to say you should never host a doubles only tourney or something like that, just make sure for that tournament it is only doubles.

Also you should not run under the assumption that all competitive teams know each other and can work out match-ups for themselves.

[spoiler] Pst, you didn't understand my wording because you don't know what the word "telling" means in that context, I'm assuming.[/spoiler]

I'm referring to the fact that there is somewhat of a "gimmick" or inconsistency in having different tiers. You don't know that one team is better than the other in a certain format with the system Archinix is proposing. One player could have lost to the other simply because they are less experienced in a given format or ill-prepared for it. Doubles are nowhere near as popular as singles and 3OU/3UU is a very broken meta and I am disappointed to see it run for any serious official event. People regard team tournaments as one of the best ways to prove themselves in the competitive scene, and it's nice to know there was no b.s. involved, to keep it concise.

It would suck to add additional variables and takes away from the fun and bragging rights, too, if people start complaining about "oh well it's because I had to play 3OU/3UU that I lost my match!" etc. I would just like to see the team tournies have conformity in terms of format. That's not to say you should never host a doubles only tourney or something like that, just make sure for that tournament it is only doubles.

Also you should not run under the assumption that all competitive teams know each other and can work out match-ups for themselves.

[spoiler] Pst, you didn't understand my wording because you don't know what the word "telling" means in that context, I'm assuming.[/spoiler]

First off, what about the factor of "to be the best, you need to prove you're the best." ? That would include winning despite different tiers. I am not saying it would be like this. I understand your points regarding doubles and 3OU/3UU, though. As I stated, prove yourself through all tiers/metas not where one team is amazing at UU and not OU.

How is this taking away bragging rights, in my views it's adding more. "We won an OU Team Tournament!" compared to "We won a Team Tournament with all of the current metas!"

We would not be under the assumption that they are working it out themselves. We would have it set up a current way, any there would be consequences if you did not follow it. No, I can't reveal the information of what it would be, as I do not know, as of now.

Only problem I have with 5v5 team tournies is that it means you NEED 5 players to be available that day. Not always a guaranteed thing and I feel it'd just be easier to keep it 3v3.

Also a team tournament of only 8 teams just sounds bad. 

Was something I felt would be nice to bring up seems it has been asked for before.

I agree with regarding only 8 teams.

Then I don't see a reason why anybody should complain.

I like it.  But maybe as somebody said lower the number of matches, that is a lot of players to have on one day at one time

Perhaps the 6v6 ou, 6v6 uu, and the doubles. Do the tiers even apply to the doubles anyways, the game is played differently there.

Also a team tournament of only 8 teams just sounds bad. 

It's only 8 teams because if it were 16, it would be as if it were an 80 contestant tournament (5 x 16 = 80). We simply do not have the manpower to run an 80 contestant, 6v6 tournament without it taking an extremely long amount of time.

I just thought I'd clear that up in the case that someone didn't realize.

It's only 8 teams because if it were 16, it would be as if it were an 80 contestant tournament (5 x 16 = 80). We simply do not have the manpower to run an 80 contestant, 6v6 tournament without it taking an extremely long amount of time.

I just thought I'd clear that up in the case that someone didn't realize.

16x3 though would be 48? Much more doable(and reasonable on the teams, also it makes the most sense).

I think not much people would have a problem with it if it's an extra team tournament. For a 16-man you could try to hold it in three days.

1. Make the bracket.

2. First side of the bracket Saturday the 14th

3. Second side of the bracket Sunday the 15th.

4. Finals (not all matches at once, maybe even 1 at a time). Saturday 21st.

Maybe worth a shot, brackets should obviously be up a few days before the tournament so each team knows when they will play. I dunno it could work :p

I think you should all focus on giving people incentive for people to show up to the current tournaments rather than add more gimmicks or formats that people won't really be inclined to attend.

The only thing I can see being semi-gimmicky is 3OU/3UU, and from what I can tell, that's only in effect until NU is more developed. One of the biggest suggestions that we get for team tournaments are having multiple metas. Also, a leading complaint about these tournaments is the tier used. I guess you can say they go hand-in-hand. With that being said, I believe people will attend.