Event Suggestions & Feedback

Strych

Question

As you all know, we enjoy running events. We try to come up with as many new and exciting ideas for them as we can, whilst also attempting to cater to our broad player-base.

Have we run a particular event that you'd like to see again? Perhaps one that you didn't like so much?
Do you have an idea for an event that you'd like to see happen? We're interested in your feedback and ideas, so feel free to post them in this thread.

Please keep ideas within the realm of possibility. I realise "if X is implemented, Y could be a great event", but lets try to work with what we have.

Note: This thread is for the discussion of official events (like those posted in PokeMMO Official Events).

6v6 lvl 1 tourney again for the lolz. more NFE tourney's, now that breeding is in you can breed a ton of lvl up moves and egg moves into your pokes to make it more interesting. and a tournament where you are givin 6 lvl 1 pokes with random iv's and have to lvl them up and train them all in a time limit the fight with them. you are only allowed to use the lvl 1 pokemon for the tournament and can choose? (or maybe be givin randoms?) your 6 from a list of OU pokes. the CM's/GM's could have them ready before hand either breed or whatever squirtle does. and then are traded to the players for this. thier is no lvl limit so the players would have to lvl them up as much as possible and wont have tie to EV them except with vitamins. the players could either focus on a few of their 6 or try to train all of them. after say 2? hours everyone has to stop training and meet up for the tournament with the pokemon they trained. 

>be me
>primeape last my last pokemon
>Opponent has 2 pokes left
>Opponent bugs out
>should result is a dc or rematch
>instead they move my opponent to the next round because i had no chance to win
>had a plan to win but still automatically loses
>Bullshit
Really that wasn't fair at all you should not be judged that you lost if you still have a pokemon that can fight
Better give me a damn masters invite or some shit because that was some bullshit

There needs to be more 100s tournaments, such as the one suggested above. I've been wanting to get into 100s for a while, but there are no other 100s tournaments apart from SNH (which I can't make since it's Sunday), there's been no point in making a 100s team

Some should be fun and slightly gimmicky (but still use pokes that we can use otherwise, instead of just training it for one tourney. Examples are monotype, taunt and level shift), while others are "proper" (standard 6v6 OU)

Okay shut the fuck up and listen. I am going to adress a few points that are in my opinion going wrong at the moment, which also takes the will to play this game from me.

Point uno Random Registrations:

Wait what? Who came up with this genius idea? I think he or she deserves a medal for best-thought-out-plan-in-the-history-of-PokeMMO, yes, go make that fucking medal. Now. When I talk about CMs and GMs about this their reason for this stupid ass registration is: 'it's more fair this way.'. I don't see this as fair, people with slower internet connection already could sign up in time if they really wanted to. Then you have the issue of different time zones, well then. Why don't you have two registration times with 16 spots/16 reserves. Doesn't that make far more sense?

RNG is NEVER fair, and it's a ridiculious justification. You are not making it fair for the majority of the playerbase, you are accomadating the minority of the playerbase while disregarding the majority. (Did I just say the same thing twice? whatever shut up) While it's an admirable thing to do, all it does is just make players mad. Also like I said, if players from unfavorable timezones really wanteed to get in they would do so. All this time we had people who were very dedicated and always signed up in time. Now, with these kind of registrations, you are punishing those players and their dedication.

You want to keep the 'rng' factor in it to give people with slower connections a better shot? Well that's fucking fine. But the thing I don't understand is: Why RNG the bracket PLUS the frekin' reserves. Why the reserves? Why? Dafuq. Is. Going. On. In your brains, atleast by making the reserves first come first serve people have a reason to sign up in time and can get rewarded for being dedicated. Here there are two better solutions to what you guys are doing now:

1) : People that directly make it to the bracket chosen by RNG, while reserves are first come first serve.

2) : Two sign up times to give people better options, and make it fair for people from unfavorable timezones.

2b): RNG the people for the bracket and make reserves first come first serve (mix 1&2).

Option 2 or 2b are probably the best option. With two registration times you not only make it fair for other people, but also if like a player from the USA misses the EDT registration time he can still if he really wants too stay up and register in the other reg time.

Point two: Giving rematches to bugged out players

Allright this is something new that came up. Sometmies the game freezes and players can't make a move anymore. Now most of the times they are given a rematch, while the refs don't even look at the fucking circumstances. Also, this 'lol bug' can be easily FAKED to get a free rematch, because huehue refs don't actually watch the battles, we all know. The main point here is: sometimes a rematch is not even needed and is even unfair. I can give my doubles match against (uh whoeverthefuck) in an official tournament as my example. His only Pokémon left was a Snorlax and I had: a frozen ;-; Snorlax and a Kangaskhan that could use Fake Out. Both would be full HP (Kanga would get healed with Wish after Fake Out). There was no way the guy could've won unless he crit me twice or something. Relying on RNG to win you the match does not justify a rematch.

Referees need to watch battles more closely, I have seen a few times when a guy who had obviously won, had to rematch because of this bug. Referees need to regocnize these situations and need to be able to figure out if a rematch is really needed or not.

Now this is a big problem because most of the referees can not make this thought proces (not because it's hard) but because you have to have a fair amount of knowledge about comp battling, which not every ref from the staff posseses. Sometimes a battle is already fought when the opponent only has 4 pokes left against your 6, sometimes you can make a comeback from a 3v6 situation (hue). This has to be recognized by the referees, but these are extreme examples. Simpler examples are when someone has a +3 DD Salamence that is about to sweep when the opponent 'lelel bugs out', you know what happens? The opponent gets a rematch. A rematch here would only be justified if:

a: The opponent had a very healthy physical wall left that could STOP the sweep.

b: The opponent had something that could survive an attack and OHKO back, to stop the sweep. (Calcs are needed here).

So for example a Weezing on 70% HP without Haze in his movepool and if the Salamence still had a Lum Berry (for the burn) would mean this Weezing could not stop the sweep and therefor does not meet the criteria.

Always Often this is ignored and people are given a free rematch regardless. This has to stop, watch the fucking matches and learn to judge certain obvious situations in which a player can not win anymore. (Also applies to render errors).

Pointy fucking trees: Learn to distribute your FUCKING TOURNAMENT PRIZES FUCKING CORRECTLY. (Fucking, fuck man cauz cool)

Holy shit, I can get so annoyed by this. Why can you guys almost never admit your mistakes and fix them if they are preventable. Ofcourse, I am talking about that shiny fucking Elekid. What kind of yes-no discussion did you have in Staff Lounge for fuck sake. How can you justify such a prize, for a first-time-try-out tournament, that is even considered a gimick tier by some. How? I am very curious, please try me. Yes? I am wating.

So wait, wait. Let me get this straight. You care about the shiny market and deciede to give 2 GC TM's as a prize in the Doubles tournament (lol what, do I even have to say anything?). No wait, you guys DON'T CARE, because right after that you destribute one of the rarest shinies in the game to a fucking try out tournament.

WHAT? Do you even? Like, please talk some sense in to me. I don't... I don't know anymore. Someone has to be seriously retarded to think this is proper prize balance. YES I am very offensive at the moment, because whoever came up with these prizes kind of deserve it.

'but- but- we can't change the pri--' BULLSHIT. Ofcourse you can, it's a fucking game not a fucking political-ethical-worldwide-decision. Everyone clearly sees that something is very very very very (very very) wrong here. There is no question.

Doubles: 2 GC TM's

A fucking breeding event: Shiny Pikachu

Some first time tournament that is not even properly tested: Shiny Elekid (same rarity as Tauros lmao).

SNH last month : Shiny Bellossom (or somethin)

SNH this month : Shiny Stantler

Do you guys see anything wrong here? I fucking do. Get on it. Make fixed values for events or w/e IT ISN'T HARD just sit around and have a proper discussion about it. Hell, take some highly recognized comp players and ask them what they think about prize distribution for each event, do something.

Point 4: Competitive Assistant [CA]:

This is not really a point but more like a serious suggestion. Give this thing a try. A CA would be underneath a CM power wise and is only, and only there to help referee matches. CA is seperate from the CM and GM ladder so you can't be promoted to CM or something because: 'omg you ref so good'. No CA is completely seperate from community tasks and is only called there to ref matches. Just having 2 or 3 extra refs in tournaments could help speed things up (and yes) maybe even enable more double elimination tournaments.

CA's should only be able to view the items of the players and nothing more. CA's can unfortunately not compete in ANY tournament because of this (unless there is some kind of agreement with an unofficial tournament hoster). Now I understand the dilemma of CA's because, who is trustworthy? Can we let a BONG member ref a fellow members' match (just an example)? It's hard to find such unbiased players and they should also be able to slightly recognize the things I stated in 'point 2'. But having like a group of 3-4 people available to help ref matches can greatly reduce the time tournaments can take.

Pfft /rant, these things were bugging me for quite a while and I finally typed it all out. Sorry for my offensive language but if you hadn't noticed already: I'm mad, as fuck.

*smileyface*

My problem is the amount of trust they have to put in players to be able to view held items is just about the same amount of trust theyd have to put into there cm's when they chose them, why not just make more cm's.  Being able to see those items, especially when spectating a tournament, is a big fucking deal.

I agree with all the ThinkNice's statements, except the point 4. 

If a player have enough knowledge to referee a match, he is probably a competitive player and therefore wants to compete in tournaments. So why a competitive player would exchange the possibility of participate of tournaments to referee battles? It is a little bit contradictory for me.

Would be better, for the player who wants to be CA, if he can participate of tournaments, but can't referee the tournaments he participate, and vice-versa. And as a reward he could have a reserved spot in a future tournament. So, for each tournament he referees, he gets a reserved spot. Sounds more attractive being a CA this way. 

'but- but- we can't change the pri--' BULLSHIT. Ofcourse you can, it's a fucking game not a fucking political-ethical-worldwide-decision. Everyone clearly sees that something is very very very very (very very) wrong here. There is no question.

agreed

[spoiler]also think the staff barely reply or even look in this thread it would seem so maybe you're wasting your breath[/spoiler]

We disagree about a lot of stuff, and even though I don't play this game anymore, this is the exact reaction I had when the few people in Wailord that play told me. So many decisions are so stupid and bullshit, and the staff can never admit they were wrong and change stuff before they go wrong with it. It's very rare for this to happen.

I feel sorry that your post will go unanswered and probably ignored, but that's the staff we have, and people will have to deal with it until they quit the game for good, when they finally realise that this game has no saving (I'm reaching that point)

We disagree about a lot of stuff, and even though I don't play this game anymore, this is the exact reaction I had when the few people in Wailord that play told me. So many decisions are so stupid and bullshit, and the staff can never admit they were wrong and change stuff before they go wrong with it. It's very rare for this to happen.

I feel sorry that your post will go unanswered and probably ignored, but that's the staff we have, and people will have to deal with it until they quit the game for good, when they finally realise that this game has no saving (I'm reaching that point)

It hasn't gone ignored. 

multiple people on Staff have spoken to ThinkNice. 

ThinkNice isn't the whole community. These are issues that have no answer, and every time the staff tries to "fix" them, it gets worse (example: registration for tournaments).

You either give a response to the community and admit that there have been mistakes that you're trying to fix, or you just do what the staff has been doing for months, and ignore the problem or come up with worse solutions.

But what you can't do is say that you've talked to X person. Should I accept that as an answer? Fuck no. You didn't tell me or anyone else anything.

ThinkNice isn't the whole community. These are issues that have no answer, and every time the staff tries to "fix" them, it gets worse (example: registration for tournaments).

You either give a response to the community and admit that there have been mistakes that you're trying to fix, or you just do what the staff has been doing for months, and ignore the problem or come up with worse solutions.

But what you can't do is say that you've talked to X person. Should I accept that as an answer? Fuck no. You didn't tell me or anyone else anything.

I am not trying to start an argument. Just stating it hasn't gone ignored (us talking to ThinkNice doesn't mean everyone has discussed it nor that we have decided anything). If you have other issues regarding events that you wish to bring up feel free to post them. 

Again, there is no response to be given right now. 

There isn't an answer to give yet. 

"Okay we'll make the doubles prize not complete shit for this month, stop bullshit registrations, hold off little cup until it isn't complete bullshit, then not give it such an op prize right away until we've tested the waters, etc."

That'd be a damn good start.