Event Suggestions & Feedback

Strych

Question

As you all know, we enjoy running events. We try to come up with as many new and exciting ideas for them as we can, whilst also attempting to cater to our broad player-base.

Have we run a particular event that you'd like to see again? Perhaps one that you didn't like so much?
Do you have an idea for an event that you'd like to see happen? We're interested in your feedback and ideas, so feel free to post them in this thread.

Please keep ideas within the realm of possibility. I realise "if X is implemented, Y could be a great event", but lets try to work with what we have.

Note: This thread is for the discussion of official events (like those posted in PokeMMO Official Events).

You just said in the previous posts it was based on personal preference therefore I know how the judging was evaluated. I don't even care at this point that my song didn't even place as I'm speaking out for everyone in this contest. No one here thinks it's reasonable how it was judged and for that this convo will be moved to event suggestions.

The suggestion is if there is another music contest there's going to be a better method of judging. Convo of this method will start now.

The last contest was focused on personal preference which is fair in a personal way. However, there is a way to judge without putting a lot of personal thoughts.

In a musical contest that involves more than one instrument it is evaluated on three main aspects: Lead, bass and beat. In the video game industry you want a very catchy lead as the marketing of VG music relies on people remembering a game for what it is and replaying it. Since this is a video game music contest you should be evaluating on whether there was a rememberable, catchy lead.

Next is bass. Now depending on the song the bass should be there to accompany the song. It should not overpower the lead unless it is the lead.

Finally is beat. The beat is what paces the song. If the song has a consistent beat for a consistent song that's good. Having it inconsistent will lose it marks as it changes the song in a bad way.

Other stuff to mention:
- Complexity does not make a better song and in fact it can ruin it. Same with simplicity. This is more a qualitative preference, however common consensus can find when someone over does it.
- Dynamics are important to any song. If you get loud or quiet for no reason that's bad. A lot of time when you judge music you should understand the reasoning to why some places are more softer or louder.

The Event was to create a piece of music in the style of Pokemon battle music. It is pretty obvious, and the host stated it specifically as well and I quote:

"As long as you feel that it could be used as Pokemon battle music (fast paced, energetic etc.) and that it 'evokes the mood' of a Pokemon battle, it's fine."

This wasn't a contest: "Who is the best producer", this was more or less a contest to see who could make a music piece that "evoked the mood" of a Pokemon battle the best. Making it "Pokemon Battle Music"-like was the primary factor. So even the best producer could have ended up last in this event.

Therefore it is pretty obvious that there was a lot of personal preference involved, since "evoking moods" is pretty variable for every person.

Personally I liked your entry, and it was clear that it was well composed, but it didn't evoke the mood for me.

Your suggestion is valid for an event where the aspect of the composition is the primary factor, but not for the Pokemon Battle Music event.

The Event was to create a piece of music in the style of Pokemon battle music. It is pretty obvious, and the host stated it specifically as well and I quote:

"As long as you feel that it could be used as Pokemon battle music (fast paced, energetic etc.) and that it 'evokes the mood' of a Pokemon battle, it's fine."

This wasn't a contest: "Who is the best producer", this was more or less a contest to see who could make a music piece that "evoked the mood" of a Pokemon battle the best. Making it "Pokemon Battle Music"-like was the primary factor. So even the best producer could have ended up last in this event.

Therefore it is pretty obvious that there was a lot of personal preference involved, since "evoking moods" is pretty variable for every person.

Personally I liked your entry, and it was clear that it was well composed, but it didn't evoke the mood for me.

Your suggestion is valid for an event where the aspect of the composition is the primary factor, but not for the Pokemon Battle Music event.

My suggestion still fits in the category of the contest. The contest stated it needed to have been a song expected to be used as Pokémon battle music and evoke the mood of a Pokémon battle. My suggestions will still fit the rubric if you know how Pokemon battle music is crafted. The question of evoking a mood will always be subjective and it's something not measurable consistently. That is what would make a contest more on luck than skill because human taste are random if judges are picked randomly.

It's safe to say how and why I produce the song the way I did. I'm going to be clear: I did not want to evoke the traditional mood of a Pokémon battle in my song for a good reason. Before I produced my song I listened to all battle music from all the Pokemon games seeing how they are stylized and fitted. Most songs ranged from 120BPM to 190BPM (Cynthia's battle music is very fast). A lot of the time Pokemon battle music did not evoke the mood for a battle music as they wanted to inflict other emotions like fear and euphoria. These are intended as they wanted to throw you off. In my production I called my song "It has only just begun" because it was supposed to be a final resort battle music. I realize that by doing this I would not evoke the traditional way of evoking the mood of a pokemon battle but an emotion of euphoria and excitement. This song could have been reflected in the Gen V song where the Gym leader has his last Pokémon out. I was hoping the judges understood this but since this judging was done traditionally it may have been rated on the traditional battle music. A lot of Pokémon battle music has existed in the official Pokémon library and I feel like a lot of underrated pieces have not been studied to understand. I've noticed that Gen V have pushed its boundary in traditional battle music and I'm expecting Gen VI to do the same.

Edit: I meant to say my suggestion was for if another music contest for PokeMMO WAS to exist.

This seems to be devolving into a "my song deserved a place because X" type conversation so if anyone wishes to PM me about the judging of the music contest, feel free to.

Not at all. Im over the fact I lost and theres no way to change the rankings. From the last posts we already know how it was judged and there is no need to PM. Im saying if there is another event like this I feel the way it was judged in this contest needs to change. That's what this thread is for, isn't it?

Edit: I would be willing to help in the next music battle event if there is one because I don't plan to enter.

The dude who's been producing for 13 years had a very good and complex composition. I think he should have won.
Like seriously you should have just given the award to Acid bass for first spot. Not whoever held down a key for it. 
I think production is not a deciding thing, you're right. But seriously when there is such little prodcution effort as such the top seemed to have...
I dunno. Just was laughable to me the Acid Bass preset won it. I was like damn. Should have just opened up ye olde' sytrus and rolled out that single midi note....

I'd like to make an event suggestion. Some one already suggested 4v4 lvl 1, but I dont see why it couldnt be 6v6 lvl 1. The battles will be quick after all. And maybe the winner could get some sort of baby pokemon shiny, like pichu, magby or cleffa. You could call it baby cup or breeders cup as the breeders will be showing off their ultimate offspring.

I'd like to make an event suggestion. Some one already suggested 4v4 lvl 1, but I dont see why it couldnt be 6v6 lvl 1. The battles will be quick after all. And maybe the winner could get some sort of baby pokemon shiny, like pichu, magby or cleffa. You could call it baby cup or breeders cup as the breeders will be showing off their ultimate offspring.

Why not level 5?

The issue I see with level 1 Pokemon tournaments ( because I had the same idea the day breeding was released) would be that the people with Amnesia Braces would sweep the whole tournament. We couldn't say "no training" since that would be insanely hard to check everyone's Pokemon. This was what I was told when I proposed such an event, anyway. Level 5 would probably still have the same issue. Even the Pika Cup was insanely difficult to fully EV train Pokemon without a Brace.

Don't get me wrong, I think that a Breeders' Cup would be a fantastic idea. It is just that I think it may be a little too "Pay to Win" for some people.

I suggest another Music Contest. This time instead of a 30 second composition let there be a full length song max at 4 minutes. The theme this time will be Town/City Music. Contestants will be rated on memorability, addictive beat, sounding like a Pokemon Town/City and most importantly fitting the principles of video game music. Contestants are to state if their song is either a town or city piece. The winner will get something better than an avatar piece.

My suggestion = give former official event winners a protected status, when they dont make it into the bracket, they get to be put at first 10 reserves or something like that

Why? Well people who already have proven to be capable of winning a tournament always make things more interesting and attracting. It will raise the quality of tournaments.

Since there have been like 90 official events already, it would make sense to only include winners from the last 2-3 months with this protected status.

PLS SUPPORT

Umad confirmed missing registrations. I would only support if this is like done for the 2 finalists of the previous torny (like FNF March - April). So the winner and second place of March get a spot in the first 10 reserves or w/e.

In professional sports there are already things like protected players etc, well problem is that not every tournament is a returning theme every month. so I personally don't believe it is too much to ask for a spot at first 10 reserves.

It would also not be difficult to find out who meet the requirements for a protected status.

[spoiler] yes I missed some registrations ;_;[/spoiler]

Event Name:

Design Your Own Gym and Design Your Own Gym Leader, either a concept contest or graphic design.  

Concept #1:

Design a "concept" of a Gym. This would be a design contest much like The CAP Contest. This event would involve any special attributes: like porters or slider spaces, the name of the overall concept of the gym/gym leader (like "Status Infliction"), etc. This is NOT a graphic design contest.

Concept#2: 

This IS a graphic design contest. Design outlines should include: a name for your Gym and/or Leader, a picture of the outside of the gym with an inside description of the gym (or inside design picture), Typing for the gym, a picture of the leader, etc.

This *could* lead to a contest designing a gym badge, or, include such a thing in Concept #2. 

Thanks for reading, y'all!

EVENT NAME

CLAN WARS!

CONCEPT

Choose 3 representative for each clan,. needed to be a member of this clan for 3-4 months. PROOF IS NEEDED. Then will duel another clan until the last clan wins them all.

A winner and loser bracket is needed. to give chance for the other losing clan. Any clan formed within the week of tournament is not prohibited to join.

WINNER

The winner of the said tournament will get the privillege to get their own channel.

For example. "Team X won first tourney and chose Channel 1 to be their home channel. next month if the tourney started again. Their Rival, Team Z, had beaten them. TEAM Z will have the choice of making the channel 1 their own clan home. or they can choose another channel . " no Team shall have 3 or more clan home channel. :)

sorry for my bad english :) i hope you guys get a little of my idea  :)

EVENT NAME

CLAN WARS!

CONCEPT

Choose 3 representative for each clan,. needed to be a member of this clan for 3-4 months. PROOF IS NEEDED. Then will duel another clan until the last clan wins them all.

A winner and loser bracket is needed. to give chance for the other losing clan. Any clan formed within the week of tournament is not prohibited to join.

WINNER

The winner of the said tournament will get the privillege to get their own channel.

For example. "Team X won first tourney and chose Channel 1 to be their home channel. next month if the tourney started again. Their Rival, Team Z, had beaten them. TEAM Z will have the choice of making the channel 1 their own clan home. or they can choose another channel . " no Team shall have 3 or more clan home channel. :)

sorry for my bad english :) i hope you guys get a little of my idea  :)

They have tournaments like this.https://forums.pokemmo.eu/index.php?/topic/27162-team-tournament-july/. Also, I doubt they would give a Team their own "channel".

On the note of Team tourneys , what do people think of this:

Currently each match up consist of 3 battles. What if we made one match UU, one OU, and one doubles.

That or just make the entire thing UU.

Lokking for feedback/ other suggestions.

I like it, but what I would like to see is actually 5 players vs 5 players. It gives more tension and in a way RNG will matter even less because the team with the better competitive members will win more likely (which is the whole point of a team tournament). It would be like the MISC challenge thingy, we already asked for this once but we (the community ;-; ) got ignored. The games are played simontaneously anyway so 'time' shouldn't be much of an issue.

Tiers: OU, UU, Doubles OU, Doubles UU, 3OU+3UU.

Pls giv

edit: Maybe one 100s tier battle.

Edited by ThinkNice

make it 5v5 and if youre going with what thinknice, make it so that there is a list of formats and players can choose a format a specific number of times

Thought about that but I don't believe it will work, all teams have different players who focus on different things. So maybe 1 team likes doubles a lot and chooses double battles and the other team is full with UU players and they would like more UU battles, then you would have a conflict. Having set tiers and enabling a team to distribute their players to every specific tier makes more sense and make it go more smooth.

The only thing with 5v5 is it does go slower if we cant get enough staff free on the same day. Currently the last team tourney had 7 refs so it was 2 matches on at once and a back up ref. With 5v5 we'd need 10 refs to run 2 match ups at once which is just hard to organize. Is it a possibility for the future but for now one change at a time.

The only thing with 5v5 is it does go slower if we cant get enough staff free on the same day. Currently the last team tourney had 7 refs so it was 2 matches on at once and a back up ref. With 5v5 we'd need 10 refs to run 2 match ups at once which is just hard to organize. Is it a possibility for the future but for now one change at a time.

How do you need 10 refs you only have 5 matches at a time, or are you running 2 teams matchups at once?

How do you need 10 refs you only have 5 matches at a time, or are you running 2 teams matchups at once?

Yes, running two team match ups is the preferred method at the moment. We can change it and up it to 5v5 and only one team match at a time, but i think the loss of the 2nd match being run would slow the tournament down alot.