Event Suggestions & Feedback

Strych

Question

As you all know, we enjoy running events. We try to come up with as many new and exciting ideas for them as we can, whilst also attempting to cater to our broad player-base.

Have we run a particular event that you'd like to see again? Perhaps one that you didn't like so much?
Do you have an idea for an event that you'd like to see happen? We're interested in your feedback and ideas, so feel free to post them in this thread.

Please keep ideas within the realm of possibility. I realise "if X is implemented, Y could be a great event", but lets try to work with what we have.

Note: This thread is for the discussion of official events (like those posted in PokeMMO Official Events).

I think you guys should archive past event threads a bit quicker. Sometimes when I want to take a peek at official event section to see if there's any events I can participate in near future, it's a bit annoying sometimes to check the sub section when half of the threads there are from past events. Also adding the date and preferably even time (in EST or GMT) should be a standard for every event title. I don't want this to sound like a massive issue, because it's not but still something that I consider being helpful from a perspective of a player who wants to participate in your events and I don't think it's too much trouble.

3 hours ago, OrangeManiac said:

I think you guys should archive past event threads a bit quicker. Sometimes when I want to take a peek at official event section to see if there's any events I can participate in near future, it's a bit annoying sometimes to check the sub section when half of the threads there are from past events. Also adding the date and preferably even time (in EST or GMT) should be a standard for every event title. I don't want this to sound like a massive issue, because it's not but still something that I consider being helpful from a perspective of a player who wants to participate in your events and I don't think it's too much trouble.

while I agree, i usually just check on the official event calendar. seems to be up to date usually

4 OU officials, 1 NU officials, 0 UU officials, 0 Doubles officials, 0 LC officials in the calender. Is this just by random every tournament host decided to host a OU official which all happened to be held very close to each other, or are other tiers than OU starting to lose importance with tournament hosts?

8 hours ago, OrangeManiac said:

4 OU officials, 1 NU officials, 0 UU officials, 0 Doubles officials, 0 LC officials in the calender. Is this just by random every tournament host decided to host a OU official which all happened to be held very close to each other, or are other tiers than OU starting to lose importance with tournament hosts?

Just happened by accident to be honest. I'll be sure to get some more variety in there though. We are definitly not forgetting the other tiers.

8 hours ago, LifeStyle said:

more NU's plzzzz

Check above

Why do we have like 3 catching events now each week? This is complete bullshit man. Nobody cares about catching events and I am pretty sure 1 each week is more then enough.

Please give ous more tourneys that aren't OU. The OU tourney last Sunday gave me cancer, because everyone using 6 walls.

Thanks

- Mnemo

Just now, Mnemosyne said:

Why do we have like 3 catching events now each week? This is complete bullshit man. Nobody cares about catching events and I am pretty sure 1 each week is more then enough.

You know, we can say that more people take a part in catching events than in pvp. Don't worry, as Mike said other tournaments will come. 

Just now, Mnemosyne said:

I'm sorry but what? Nobody cares about catching events? When every catching event gets atleast 50 people joining and a lot of people thank me for even hosting them. This game doesn't just have comp players anymore. A lot of PvE players and more casual players such as shiny hunters play this game. Many people appreciate these kind of events so they will not be hosted less. This however does not mean we are not able to host more PvP events. As I said before we are not forgetting the other tiers.

1 minute ago, TheChampionMike said:

I'm sorry but what? Nobody cares about catching events? When every catching event gets atleast 50 people joining and a lot of people thank me for even hosting them. This game doesn't just have comp players anymore. A lot of PvE players and more casual players such as shiny hunters play this game. Many people appreciate these kind of events so they will not be hosted less. This however does not mean we are not able to host more PvP events. As I said before we are not forgetting the other tiers.

64 people play tourney and 50 people join shitty catching event.

64 is more then 50

pls host more tourneys

1 minute ago, Mnemosyne said:

64 people play tourney and 50 people join shitty catching event.

64 is more then 50

pls host more tourneys

catching events get a way less attention then tourneys do, 
catching events arent always announced like tourneys do, and if you dont use forums its hard to figure out when one is happening until 10 minutes before the event itself. its not a fair comparison at all, and I know for sure there are way more casual players than comp

The way I see it, those shiny prize 1 hour long catching events are good for what you're aiming at which I believe is equal entertainment value for comp players and casual players.

They break the metaphorical barrier between comp & casual players, as the comp shiny prizes often attract comp players. And there's no way to make that work they other way around, and there's a good reason for that:

The reason is that there's no preparation that comes into those catching events, while we're all aware of the preparation that comes into playing competitively.

If you guys want to be advocates for equal representation in official events and use arguments along the lines of "more people are casual than comp" or "there's always a good turnout in those catch events", you have to ask yourselves why that is, and the reason is above. Being a casual player is not a choice for all of the casual players, both the grind and the fact that the skillgap between casuals and good comp players is ever increasing are major factors in this.

This is why I think this ratio rule is not healthy, you can't argue for equal representation for all types of players if everyone doesn't invest the same amount of time in your game.

That would be like asking someone who just finished a marathon to share 50/50 a bottle of water with someone that casually came out of a taxi next to the finish line.

I believe that what I would call "round catch events" where the winner gets 100k every round (you know the ones), should not be staff-ran. The organization for those is something that could be achieved by a team or even a generous individual.

Now you could argue that catch events and "casual" events have close to no representation as unofficial events (not counting in-team events). Beyond the fact that this says something about which group actually uses, puts up with, and keeps your overmoderated forums alive, what I take from this is that it is pretty sad for casual players to be left with a binary choice between staff-ran catch events and team events. 

Maybe it's time you put some people into designing new kinds of events? I know the game is pretty limited, but we've seen innovative ideas like quizztournaments in the past, more content is better than punishing one group to make up for the lack of content available to the other.

Aerun smells

Edited by Draekyn
1 hour ago, Draekyn said:

I believe that what I would call "round catch events" where the winner gets 100k every round (you know the ones), should not be staff-ran. The organization for those is something that could be achieved by a team or even a generous individual.

While this is true, if it were not currently staff run Find a Friend and other events like it would simply not exist to public knowledge. There are a full plethora of events that have been run in the past that could have easily been put up as unofficial events by the community. A few have been, but by and large PvE events are mostly run within small groups of players and not made known to the whole server. Very few unofficial PvE events are even posted on the forums currently. Nothing is stopping the community from hosting those events at all except the fact that the money is put up by one or more people.