Strych

Event Suggestions & Feedback

Question

Strych   

As you all know, we enjoy running events. We try to come up with as many new and exciting ideas for them as we can, whilst also attempting to cater to our broad player-base.

Have we run a particular event that you'd like to see again? Perhaps one that you didn't like so much?
Do you have an idea for an event that you'd like to see happen? We're interested in your feedback and ideas, so feel free to post them in this thread.

Please keep ideas within the realm of possibility. I realise "if X is implemented, Y could be a great event", but lets try to work with what we have.

Note: This thread is for the discussion of official events (like those posted in PokeMMO Official Events).

7 hours ago, cchiovitti527 said:

Y’all forgot Burro, but I’m too lazy to look up his forum name. 

Burro is Mitch smh

RysPicz   

It doesn't happen often that Daryl says something that makes sense ( xdddddddddd ) but I must agree with him here.

We have not one but TWO tournaments cancelled. Big tournaments with big prizes. Why?

1. The tier. Ok, NU is super cool, I admit- it's probably the most fun tier currently aside from Metronomes. But it just lacks players. Did we have a 128 people bracket filled with NU players even once in the history of this game? I don't really remember.

2. Signup fee is just idiotic in this example. 5000 BP is I think 120k cold cash if traded between players, which consumes potentially- watch out- OVER 15 MILLIONS of cash from players, for a potential 2m prize for #1 and a shiny tynamo. Not only taking BP as fee is idiotic due to a horrible fee-to-prize ratio, but setting the BP as a signup fee overall, for NU... I could understand if the BP fee would be for OU- these players grind matchmaking and it's the only tier where matchmaking exists (maybe because you do not do absolutely anything for a long time to promote lower tiers- but that's another story) while a lot of NU players either would need to grind that BP due to lack of comps/ experience, w/e.

3. Time of the tournament. Let's be honest- this time was chosen to accomodate chinese players which avalanched the server recently. How many of them are actually comp players and not hardcore 24/7 grinders that do not give a shit about competitive play? How many of them will be online at that time? How many of them even play NU? This time of tournament is just plain bad.

4. I do not wish to discourage anyone from hosting events- especially @xKicco. Maybe my perspective of an active competitive player that knows the scene, players and metagames gives me an edge, but 2 tournaments got cancelled one after another because of the reasons I listed above and this is a fact.

And for god's sake, can we finally get some UU action, I think we had maybe 2 or 3 UU tournaments during entire September... :/ It's second most popular tier in PokeMMO and a lot of us just don't get to play our fav tier because there's nothing to do it.

Just as a heads up, if you have a tournament planned at 11.11, better discard it because your bracket won't fill anyway.

Edited by RysPicz
I embarris.

Suneet   
16 minutes ago, RysPicz said:

it's the only tier where matchmaking exists

and, as always, this is the root of the problem. You'd think that devs would catch the hints and put some measures into place to finally incentivise UU/NU matchmaking for players.

RysPicz   
2 minutes ago, Bilburt said:

you'll remember this day

Hide contents

as the day that you almost caught Captain Jack Sparrow

3 minutes ago, RysPicz said:

I dare you

1 hour ago, RysPicz said:

We have not one but TWO tournaments cancelled. Big tournaments with big prizes. Why?

If by the other event you mean 'Crack a Shell', It was cancelled because it interfered with Team Tournament's time and I will probably be rescheduling it. It was an oversight from y part as an event coordinator as I didn't notice that I was (re-re)rescheduling it during its time.

1. The tier. Ok, NU is super cool, I admit- it's probably the most fun tier currently aside from Metronomes. But it just lacks players. Did we have a 128 people bracket filled with NU players even once in the history of this game? I don't really remember.

2. Signup fee is just idiotic in this example. 5000 BP is I think 120k cold cash if traded between players, which consumes potentially- watch out- OVER 15 MILLIONS of cash from players, for a potential 2m prize for #1 and a shiny tynamo. Not only taking BP as fee is idiotic due to a horrible fee-to-prize ratio, but setting the BP as a signup fee overall, for NU... I could understand if the BP fee would be for OU- these players grind matchmaking and it's the only tier where matchmaking exists (maybe because you do not do absolutely anything for a long time to promote lower tiers- but that's another story) while a lot of NU players either would need to grind that BP due to lack of comps/ experience, w/e.

We didn't even have many of them after the Unova update and I think it's might be one of the first second one (Akshit was first) and we're well aware that NU used to lack participation but we're getting more players to participate these days and usually a full 64/64 bracket so I thought there was no harm in trying a 128 seat NU tournament.

I agree that the BP sign fees was a bit too much which might have been a limitation for many of the players but the host just wanted to try it and wanted to check if it works. If it did, we might have been able to do a lot more and lot better events. Because it didn't, we'll learn from it and make our future accordingly.

Btw, the total prize pool 8Mil+ Shiny Tynamo.

tl;dr- Take this tournament as an experiment from the host. The shiny and the other things are not lost because of this as it can be hosted again.

Time of the tournament. Let's be honest- this time was chosen to accomodate chinese players which avalanched the server recently. How many of them are actually comp players and not hardcore 24/7 grinders that do not give a shit about competitive play? How many of them will be online at that time? How many of them even play NU? This time of tournament is just plain bad.

We have had many tournaments for this time of the day and most of them usually have a good amount of participation with many of them being full.

In the end, it up to the host to decide the time of the event.

4. I do not wish to discourage anyone from hosting events- especially @xKicco. Maybe my perspective of an active competitive player that knows the scene, players and metagames gives me an edge, but 2 tournaments got cancelled one after another because of the reasons I listed above

One of them was hosted by me and was cancelled due to the reason mentioned above.

Spoiler

Just as a heads up, if you have a tournament planned at 11.11, better discard it because your bracket won't fill anyway.

Sorry Bil but I am (re-re-re)rescheduling 'Crack a Shell' on 11/11 ;P

The problem with BP as a sign up requirement is that people typically only look out for tournaments on that day, heck, I used to find out about a tournament within the hour when people would tell me. At that point, you realise you've got no BP and you don't have the time to farm the BP. This is a problem because not only can you not play, but if this happens to a large portion of players like it probably did here, it's spoils it for everyone that did take time to get that BP.

This is why if I was to make such a requirement in tournaments I'd use cash as its the universal currency and also, it's tradable, you can borrow it from a friend. I found this to be more successful.

There's a lot to think about when making events(I made plenty of mistakes), but I always tried to put myself in the players shoes and think if I was playing, would I be there at that time? Would I have the requirements or the time to get them? Would I have happy to invest the time for the reward?

Edited by KaynineXL

How about some doubles tournaments

and before you link the abomination posted I dont count that as a doubles tournament, thats a glorified CC